APPROVED
900 Carlton Crescent
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 900 Carlton Crescent
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 26
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, junior 1BR)
Sales status: in planning
900 Carlton Crescent is a proposal for a 26-storey condominium and retail tower along Carlton Terrace and Esqu... (view full profile)
Learn more about 900 Carlton Crescent on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] 900 Carlton Terrace & 900 Esquimalt Road | Condo; rental; retail | 26 and 8 storeys

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:53 AM

Well that is at least something. Glad to see so much support. 

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#42 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:35 AM

Rozlynne Mitchell, chair of the West Bay Residents Association, said she and the association don’t agree with the development, as it exceeds the 2018 OCP policy allowing a floor area ratio of 3.0 for commercial mixed-use developments, and it exceeds the 12-storey limit for residential developments.

“We need affordable housing, this massive proposal should offer some. This building will tower over and overwhelm its neighbours and the street and it demonstrates a fundamental disregard for its neighbours,” she said.

https://www.vicnews....gh-rise-7326546

We hear this a lot. That so and so project will “overwhelm” various neighbours. But it’s never really explained. How, exactly, does it disadvantage the neighbours or neighbouring properties or residents?

There is a large shadow of course, but in a thin tower this shadow is relatively thin and moves quickly through the day. Other than that, I’m unclear why this word or effect is used so often.

This building will tower over and overwhelm its neighbours and the street

???

Presumably, the sun will continue to shine from the south (unless anyone has heard otherwise?).

screenshot-www.google.com-2024.03.07-06_39_10.png

Who and how is it "overwhelming"?  How is it overwheming the street (Esquimalt Road)?  Will drivers, pedestrians and cyclists and scooters not be able to navigate it with a tower there?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 March 2024 - 03:44 AM.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#43 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 07:46 AM

Yup. The last place I lived in Vancouver was 12th Ave on the west side. I was in a 5 floor apartment but there were all sorts of junior hi-rises and taller literally in every direction, including the 24 story apartment directly across the street. And yet - amazingly - any time I went outside why, why - there it was!!! - the SUN. Still right where I left it the day before!

And in those very rare instances where I even noticed the shade, which BTW was most welcome on hot sunny summer days, all I had to do was move maybe 20 or 30 paces in any direction and !WOWEE BATMAN! sure enough there it was again, the sun - still shining bright and warm. Shocking I tell you...... 

• Nparker, lanforod and Victoria Watcher like this

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 07:51 AM

Yes, Esquimalt's OCP favours very large floorplates, due to the height restrictions on the majority of properties suitable for higher heights and densities. We really ought not to be building giant, wide blocks. Point towers are the way forward, with thinner shadows as Watcher mentioned, that move throughout the day very quickly and do not overly impact neighbouring properties.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 08 March 2024 - 04:26 AM

I was waiting for aastra to comment here.

#46 nrtphotos

nrtphotos
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 02:35 PM

Man, some of the commentary from the public at the council meeting was wild. The one woman who prefaced her point by saying her university student daughter had just been evicted then went on to say these hundreds of homes won’t do anything for them or be affordable - what? This, just after several UVIC students had come before council speaking to the massive issues they face finding housing. Another lady with her young child went on a tangent about imagine walking to school around this and how it somehow will make the intersection and neighbourhood unsafe? 

I relate the housing supply to the car market we’ve experienced up until very recently. Constraints on new vehicle production allowed for a surge in dealer markups and in turn drove used prices through the roof, these effects have cooled significantly as inventory levels catch up with demand. I really don’t think housing is much different. 

It was pretty apparent in the meeting that GMC takes care of their buyers and renters, lots of people came out to support them. Having bought into the Lexi building across the street I really wish this had been an option when I bought.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 03:08 PM

It always amazes me how few people understand the law of supply and demand.

• Matt R., DavidSchell and nrtphotos like this

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 03:11 PM

Then again, when I read inane comments about "affordability" it does become easier to understand how the NDP keep getting elected.  :whyme:

#49 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 05:29 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some renderings of what this place would look like from the top of Cairn Park.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 07:07 PM

Here you go.

IMG_3951.jpeg
  • aastra, Nparker and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#51 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:02 PM

Nice. And I only had to wait an hour and a half for it.

• nrtphotos likes this

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 08:59 PM

Looks like you poured over it for 55 minutes.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:06 PM

Looks like you poured over it...

I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly. Are you gushing with praise or dripping with contempt?

#54 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:08 PM

Anyway, here's my well-reasoned verdict:

Too tall. Chop it down by 8 stories.

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:10 PM

Bah, I'm feeling generous today. Chop it down by just 6 stories.

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:18 PM

My point is, I prefer privacy when I'm enjoying my morning coffee and scone up there.

#57 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:20 PM

...Too tall. Chop it down by 8 stories.

...Chop it down by just 6 stories.

I'll see your chops and raise it by 10 storeys.

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:32 PM

Can we raise each floor by 3 feet, then drop it by six floors?

Know it all.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 09:42 PM

I'll see your chops and raise it by 10 storeys.

I was talking about enjoying scones in the morning but now you're talking about enjoying chops at dinner. At dinner I don't think I would have any objection to the proposed height. I tend to pay close attention to my plate during dinner.

Thus, it would be ideal if the building could sink to 18-20 stories before 7am but then rise back to 26 stories for the afternoon/evening period.

#60 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 15 March 2024 - 10:43 PM

Don’t worry ladies and germs, they can simply add or remove floors as it’s being built.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users