Gulf Islands issues and news

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#41 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:10 PM

Odd.

So the conservancy, and invariably the taxpayer, will be maintaining someone’s private island for the next 80 years?

They way I’ve read and interpreted the article, the trust now has title to the property, and it’s to be a nature sanctuary. In order to preserve the habitats/ecosystems, the public won’t have access.

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:17 PM

Right.

Where I’m going with this, is there is a theory that nature conservancies operate under the guise of protecting land for the future, but over the course of time, they acquire land assets and relegate them to private or special interest use, invariably, over long periods of time.

I’m not saying this conservancy operates that way, but either you create public spaces for people, or you don’t get any public benefits to maintain your assets.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:37 PM

Right.

Where I’m going with this, is there is a theory that nature conservancies operate under the guise of protecting land for the future, but over the course of time, they acquire land assets and relegate them to private or special interest use, invariably, over long periods of time.

I’m not saying this conservancy operates that way, but either you create public spaces for people, or you don’t get any public benefits to maintain your assets.

I haven’t heard of that theory, sorry. Are there any instances of such things happening locally?

I’m good with a bit of tax money going into preserving some bits of nature here and there, especially if it’s an entire, near-pristine island that was given for the purpose for free. But, the tax money in question is from Islands residents, so it’s not my call.

Edited by Benezet, 13 December 2022 - 06:58 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#44 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:43 PM

I gave them my approval when they asked.
  • Benezet likes this

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 06:54 PM

Gulf islands taxpayer money going to support an island no one can ever visit reminds me of the decades of school taxes I have paid in Victoria. 

• Matt R. likes this

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:54 PM

I haven’t heard of that theory, sorry. Are there any instances of such things happening locally?

I’m good with a bit of tax money going into preserving some bits of nature here and there, especially if it’s an entire, near-pristine island that was given for the purpose for free. But, the tax money in question is from Islands residents, so it’s not my call.

Land Conservancy creditors support plan to sell properties, cut debt

https://www.timescol...ut-debt-4620805

These agencies are not infallible, so one minute the land is handed over to a specific conservancy, the next it's sold off to another, or even a private buyer. In the US, there are issues with conservancies to a much greater degree, based on a cursory search.

With Link Island, it's odd that the family of the former owner get perpetual private use until they all pass several generations from now, and the Canadian taxpayer maintains it for them?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 08:54 PM

Hey nparker, there will be a dedicated bc ferries run to this island but won’t ever carry passengers…

:banana:

#48 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:38 PM

The plus though is that Southern Gulf Islands islands are being “returned” to Canada by their long time American owners.  

Still some prime southern islands still owned by Americans though … James Island … and both Forest and Brethour Isands by the Columbia Sportswear guy. Little Darcy has long been owned by a wealthy Seattle family, although I believe the wife willed it to the Nature Conservancy after she’s gone, and she put a conservation covenant on it a few years ago. 

• Matt R. and Benezet like this

#49 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:39 PM

With Link Island, it's odd that the family of the former owner get perpetual private use until they all pass several generations from now, and the Canadian taxpayer maintains it for them?

I don’t find it odd myself. The owner gives the island to the Conservancy with a covenant that says her kids and grandkids only (not “several generations”) get to use the one cottage on this 50-acre island until they die. The island will be managed by its owner, the Conservancy, as it sees fit, using tax funds collected from the people of the Gulf Islands only. If there’s something in this deal that says Mike K’s taxes will be used to “maintain” the place for the sole benefit of the former owner’s immediate descendants, I have missed it, sorry.

Edited by Benezet, 13 December 2022 - 10:41 PM.

#50 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 10:54 PM

There’s only one taxpayer, though.

But check this. Her kids, her grandkids, and presumably their kids, and then their kids, with mom and dad (eventually grandma and grandpa), too. And who’s going to object to the great grandkids going to the cabin on their own, eventually?

It’s not a bad setup. No more spec tax, no more property tax, a decent tax write-off, and this off-limits land, maybe even the cabin if it can be used by permitted visitors now and then, will now be maintained for the family by taxpayers. I think we’ve just discovered a loophole for the spec tax, a write-off opportunity, and free land management! Hand your holding over to a conservancy, but include a stipulation that your descendants for a few generations get private access, with no costs to them, and no spec tax or property tax.

Smart.

I could be wrong, but that’s how I read the situation.

Know it all.

#51 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 11:13 PM

Long time resident of SSI passed away recently. Also directed "The Glitter Dome" in YYJ.

https://www.hollywoo...les-1235280888/

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,961 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 01:01 AM

Salt Spring Island is one step closer to having a new kind of government.

During the last municipal election, voters endorsed a plan to move to a Local Community Commission and on Wednesday the Capital Regional District passed a bylaw to make it official.

With more than 11,000 residents, Salt Spring Island is a growing community that appears to have outgrown its former governance model.

In October, 62 per cent of residents voted in favour of having a Local Community Commission, which finally became a reality Wednesday when the Capital Regional District Board unanimously passed a bylaw that will see the commission created.

_________

Instead of incorporating into a municipality, the model will see the Island Trust continue to make decisions about Salt Spring’s land and the provincial government will still be responsible for the 265 kilometres of its roads.

https://www.cheknews...eality-1122891/

Seems to me they should just become a municipality. But I guess they fear the news costs that would be involved.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 December 2022 - 01:02 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 04:48 AM

Is there anywhere else more on the take in BC than the SGI are, and presumably the NGI? It’s news to me that the province maintains their roads.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,961 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 05:17 AM

Is there anywhere else more on the take in BC than the SGI are, and presumably the NGI? It’s news to me that the province maintains their roads.

It does seem to be a large (population) community, to not be incorporated.

What's an NGI?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 December 2022 - 05:18 AM.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 05:43 AM

Northern Gulf Islands, where the residents think they can get northern living benefits and feign shock when they don’t.

Know it all.

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 10:32 PM

Doesn’t the province maintain all roads in BC outside of cities and muni’s?

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,961 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 04:51 AM

Conservation group purchases 31.2 hectares on Saturna Island for protection

https://www.timescol...tection-6613121

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 06:49 AM

Ganges and/or Salt Spring would be foolish to incorporate when the entire CRD is willing to fund projects such as the Ganges Harbour Walkway.

https://www.crd.bc.c...rtation-project

• Nparker likes this

#59 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 08:19 AM

Omg that turkey. It’s been in the works for like 900 years, but probably keeping managers employed!

#60 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,961 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 09:10 AM

Salt Spring land sold to nature conservancy had been prime candidate for development

Purchased for $9 million, the property on Reginald Hill at the south end of Salt Spring Island features a maturing coastal Douglas-fir forest, Garry oaks, rocky bluffs and multiple wetlands.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users