City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1110 replies to this topic

#621 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:29 PM

Free?  No I think they have bills to pay like the rest of us.

• Fox likes this

#622 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 June 2023 - 06:39 AM

Only 22 percent of our roads are in okay shape. The historically significant monoliths and fountain that are in Centennial Square are slated to be removed to make way for a splash pad. Meanwhile Langford has become a bigger sideshow - so some of the foolishness is getting a free pass.

• Nparker likes this

#623 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 04:36 AM

A Victoria city councillor who has received two death threats in recent weeks due to a perceived pro-development bias, is pushing back and says he will not tolerate increasingly aggressive communication in any form from city residents.

Jeremy Caradonna, in his first term as a city councillor, said the level of rhetoric and threat has escalated to the point he no longer feels safe.

“At this point, I’m just laying down the law with people and I am setting firm boundaries, and I just refuse to be one of these politicians that gets turned into a punching bag,” he said in an interview Monday. “I guess I cracked a little bit or I’ve snapped in that I’m just not willing to be bullied anymore and let it happen. I’m going to push back on people.”

Caradonna said there are myriad reasons people are lashing out.

He said people are under a lot of pressure with big issues like the rapid pace of climate change, the housing crisis, unaffordability and inflation.

“All these sorts of things are coming to a head,” he said, noting one of his theories is when tough debates like missing-middle housing and densification come up it’s often just the canvas on which people project their anxieties about the bigger issues.

“I don’t get racist tirades, but I do get tirades and I would say a lot of it, in my experience, has to do with development and people who feel under assault in their comfortable, single-family-home lifestyle,” he said, noting many of them seem to take the idea of things like missing-middle housing as an affront to their human rights.

https://www.timescol...threats-7199886

Let's see the text of the death threats and then maybe we can better understand them.  Seems we never see the actual text of the threats.  And we let the victim crate their own narrative about where the threats come from, unchecked by the media.  Are the threats coming from "single-family-home" dwellers or those concerned about climate change?  Maybe, but there is no reason to take this politician at his word.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 June 2023 - 04:39 AM.

#624 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 06:28 AM

Blames people lashing out at him on climate change, then insults homeowners. Clown World city council edition.
  • Nparker, Midnightly, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#625 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 06:54 AM

"Rapid" pace of climate change???
  • Matt R. likes this

#626 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 08:38 AM

Since clearly Jeremy knows who those issuing "death threats" are (ie he has identified them as local homeowners) I encourage him to contact the police.

Sounds a lot like Lisa Helps using a similar excuse to exit social media and stop corresponding with constituents.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#627 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 08:46 AM

Constituents are obvious beneath him and a danger to democracy. The disdain for homeowners is alarming frankly. Envy should have no place in policy making. Nor should greed, wrath, lust, sloth, gluttony, and pride (thinking you are better than everyone). 

• Nparker likes this

#628 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 27 June 2023 - 12:03 PM

NParker - I'd urge you to delete that post. The councillor has indicated he's received death threats. A picture of his home residence is not appropriate. I may not like Mr. Caradonna, but I would respect his right to a level of privacy, even if he or his followers would not provide me with the same courtesy.

• dasmo, GaryOak, FogPub and 1 other like this

#629 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

...The councillor provided his address when he ran, and it’s available on the City’s website.

This.

#630 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 12:27 PM

Stop the social engineering and society won’t fight back. Simple.

#631 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 01:59 PM

Maybe he can't reveal the names and what was said due to a police investigation. Uttering death threats is a criminal offense in Canada.

#632 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 02:35 PM

Funny he mentions the vitriol against Trudeau. While I am no fan of F*CK Trudeau signs and certainly think throwing rocks at anyone is deplorable it isn't because of climate change. The increasing backlash is because people are responding to the increasingly invasive social engineering these tax administrators are performing on us. Here is Trudeau sealing his fate to always meet some angry folks....

https://www.youtube....ure=share&t=479

#633 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:12 PM

Maybe he can't reveal the names and what was said due to a police investigation. Uttering death threats is a criminal offense in Canada.

You can do whatever you want, and name whomever you want. There is no rule against naming your aggressor or the perp.

But you may not want to, if it turns out the threat wasn’t actually a threat, but a figure or speech, or an opinion. There’s nuance to something like that.

For example, “I think you should meet a horrible end,” is not a threat. “I am going to cause you harm next time I see you,” is more along the lines of a sincere threat.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#634 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,243 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:16 PM

He states in the article that the email was only sarcastic. He said he had other death threats he reported to the police. No comment from the police. Maybe he could ask the Covenant Of Mayors for help? 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#635 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,348 posts

Posted 27 June 2023 - 03:20 PM

You can do whatever you want, and name whomever you want. There is no rule against naming your aggressor or the perp.

But you may not want to, if it turns out the threat wasn’t actually a threat, but a figure or speech, or an opinion. 

Or if you are not 100% certain who it comes from.  Which is why most of these types of things are also never prosecuted.

#636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 06:42 AM

Politicians vs politicians.

What’s this all about, deep down? It’s generally not good for politicians to go after each other.

IMG_0490.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#637 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 07:54 AM

Threats to anyone is wrong.

This news story of threats to a local politician is nothing new, however it does shine a light on what goes on behind the scenes.

I received threats of harm. In three instances I called police. We were concerned about our safety at home and took steps to protect our property and ourselves.

I found the police to be very helpful. I didn’t go public because we didn’t want to encourage others to follow suit. There was one individual who has several convictions of assault who is unstable and a serious concern.

To prove the threats reach a criminal standard is a challenge. First up, you have to “believe” the threat. Then there is a possibility the person making the threat says “you’re misrepresenting what I said, I didn’t mean it as a threat”. So in the end, you report, take steps to mitigate and pray they obsess on something else.

One thing that did surprise me was the vitriol ( not just at me, but I saw and heard it for other councillors and staff). Several times I had voicemails that were literally frightening. To hear someone wish you were dead or come to unspeakable harm is quite stunning. It was unhinged and definitely unsettled you.

I agree with Ryan to some extent - some of the vitriol comes from political opponents and their actions and mendacity.

There is a contingent that works to assail reputations rather than debate policy. They default to character assassination and this gets repeated and takes hold. I believe they know what they are doing and justify it as a means to an end. I have to wonder if they really understood the consequence of their actions whether they would continue their behaviour.

But, all said - any threat against any councillor is out of line.

As to positing the address and photo of a politician’s home - that’s way out of line.

Yes, the information is available. But, ask yourself if we need to make it easier for someone to do harm?!

I am REALLY disappointed that post is allowed to remain.

Let’s all be better people.

Thank you
  • Awaiting Juno, GaryOak and JohnsonStBridge like this

#638 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 June 2023 - 07:59 AM

Tip: if you want people to understand you, don't use words no one knows.

mendacity... 

#639 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:27 AM

Tip: if you want people to understand you, don't use words no one knows.

mendacity...

THAT’S what you got out my post? 🤦‍♂️

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 28 June 2023 - 08:28 AM.

• GaryOak likes this

#640 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 28 June 2023 - 08:40 AM

Actually, I honestly cannot say that I got much out of your post either. We can all agree that death threats are not acceptable. Asking people to be respectful when they have lost all respect for a politician might be a bridge too far.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users