City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1246 replies to this topic

#1221 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 01:24 PM

Soon can be a year or a thousand years though. 

#1222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,558 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 02:04 AM

screenshot-x.com-2024.06.15-06_03_52.png

#1223 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:11 AM

Ms. Kim should have stuck with dumpster diving, it really is her milieu.

#1224 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 07:30 AM

Ms. Kim should have stuck with dumpster diving, it really is her milieu.

Seems like a lot of Victoria voters were also dumpster diving.

• Nparker and Hotel Mike like this

#1225 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,368 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:57 AM

Union organized voting Gangs of NewYork style. A perfect person to install! How to organize the disengaged who have no idea just how much local governments matter?
  • Nparker likes this

#1226 todd

todd
  • 12,927 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 02:59 PM

Dumpster diving doesn’t bother everyone. Just safety protocols. Like coronavirus, some people aren’t bothered by germs/mold/expiry dates/recalled food as much as others.

Some other possibly safer options available: https://victoriahome...e_Sept_2015.pdf

#1227 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:15 AM

It boggles my mind how some people get elected - truly. To put it into context, at the time Kim was 26 years old, $4,000 in income is less than 10 weeks of full time work at BC's minimum wage. Our economy has been strong enough that anyone with a heart beat can get full time employment if they want it. Further $66k in debt for what appears to be two Bachelor's degrees? Looking at her linked in - it doesn't seem possible that her income would be as low as $4k/year at that time? I further find it interesting that she doesn't list UVic in her education - although it's clear she had co-op terms through the university.

If this is the financial acumen of someone holding a seat at Victoria City Council, we should all be very, very worried.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#1228 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:19 AM

... I further find it interesting that she doesn't list UVic in her education - although it's clear she had co-op terms through the university...

With UVic's current reputation, I am embarrassed to list it as my alma mater as well. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1229 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:28 AM

Introduction

This investigation report considers a complaint (the “Complaint”) submitted by Mayor Marianne Alto (the “Complainant”) pursuant to section 13(1) of the City of Victoria’s Code of Conduct Bylaw (the “Bylaw”). The Complaint alleges that Councillor Susan Kim (“Councillor Kim”) breached the Bylaw by signing a letter titled, “Stand with Palestine: Call on Political Leaders to End Their Complicity in Genocide” (the “Letter”) and by “liking” a post on the social media platform “X” (formerly Twitter), dated October 7, 2023 (the “Tweet”).

The Complaint alleges, in part, that Councillor Kim’s conduct discriminated against Jewish members of the community and that she failed to treat City residents with respect. This report has been prepared pursuant to section 19 of the Bylaw following a formal investigation of the Complaint. This report summarizes the investigation process, the Complaint, the evidence and submissions from Councillor Kim, and my analysis under the Bylaw. I have found there was a breach of section 5(2) of the Bylaw. I have also found the breach was inadvertent and I do not recommend any sanction under the Bylaw. The report has been distributed in accordance with section 19(4) of the Bylaw. Investigation Process On December 5, 2023, I was appointed by the Mayor as an ad hoc investigator pursuant to section 11 of the Bylaw. On December 12, 2023, I received the Complaint from the City Clerk. The Complaint was submitted by the Mayor but written by a City resident (the “Resident”).

The Mayor advised the City Clerk that, in her capacity as Mayor, she was the Complainant and was initiating the Complaint based on the information provided to her by the Resident. Upon my review of the Complaint, I determined that the allegations, if true, could constitute a breach of the Bylaw. On December 20, 2023, I provided a copy of the Complaint to Councillor Kim and requested that she provide a written response to the allegations. On January 22, 2024, I received a response from Councillor Kim through her legal counsel. On February 9, 2023, I interviewed Councillor Kim with her legal counsel present. I canvassed the possibility of informal resolution with both parties, as required by s. 17(1) of the Bylaw. On March 9, 2024, the Complainant advised she would prefer to have the Complaint resolved formally. On March 11, 2024, I confirmed with the parties that I would proceed with the formal resolution process.

https://pub-victoria...ocumentId=97875

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2024 - 09:28 AM.

#1230 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:31 AM

'inadvertent' ... sure. Who believes that?

• Nparker likes this

#1231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:31 AM

screenshot-x.com-2024.06.23-13_31_30.png

#1232 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:35 AM

...I have also found the breach was inadvertent and I do not recommend any sanction under the Bylaw...

Weak. Kim knew exactly what she was doing. Without any sort of formal censure of her behaviour, antisemitism and racism wins.

#1233 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:04 AM

Weak. Kim knew exactly what she was doing. Without any sort of formal censure of her behaviour, antisemitism and racism wins.

I am no fan of Susan Kim.

However, I urge everyone to read the full investigation report before jumping on one line from the investigation.

It’s a well written and reasoned analysis of the facts.

While I may disagree with the decision of “sanctions” - and let’s face it, with the current make up of council, who in their right mind would think her fellow councillors and acolytes would consider such a move. 🤦‍♂️- there was a robust investigation and it DID find Kim breached the bylaw.

As to whether she did it “intentionally “, I find it incredible she didn’t know she was using her position as councillor to add weight to her inflammatory actions.

Let’s face it, she got caught with her hand in the cookie jar and she didn’t like it.

No matter what pretzel-making defense her legal counsel came up with, she embarrassed herself and in turn, the City of Victoria.

I imagine this will be a very expensive lesson for her and us as taxpayers

Edited by Stephen Andrew, 23 June 2024 - 10:12 AM.

• DavidSchell likes this

#1234 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:30 AM

...I imagine this will be a very expensive lesson for her and us as taxpayers...

Less than 2 full years of Susan Kim has already proven to be an expensive lesson. I stand my comment that she should face some sort of penalty for her actions.

#1235 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:40 AM

Less than 2 full years of Susan Kim has already proven to be an expensive lesson. I stand my comment that she should face some sort of penalty for her actions.

I agree with you.

It probably cost her a few dollars for legal representation. Perhaps solace in that ?

#1236 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,024 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 10:54 AM

Unless she attempts to charge CoV taxpayers for her legal representation. Since arriving on council Ms. Kim has shown an exceptional attitude of entitlement and complete disregard for local taxpayers, so I fully expect her to try and bill her costs to the city.

• Love the rock likes this

#1237 Stephen Andrew

Stephen Andrew
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 11:33 AM

Unless she attempts to charge CoV taxpayers for her legal representation. Since arriving on council Ms. Kim has shown an exceptional attitude of entitlement and complete disregard for local taxpayers, so I fully expect her to try and bill her costs to the city.

She’s not covered - unless council grants an exception. I think that would flame the fan of outrage and discontent
  • Nparker likes this

#1238 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,515 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 26 June 2024 - 08:46 AM

I agree with you.

It probably cost her a few dollars for legal representation. Perhaps solace in that ?

Doubtful. The voice of the materials is familiar. Isitt was one of her campaign contributors. I'd be shocked if her legal representation wasn't "pro-bono".

Susan Kim has no business remaining at Victoria City Council, the lack of repercussions highlights how toothless the code of conduct is and anyone believing her social media use was "inadvertent" is fooling themselves and is blind as to how sophisticated Kim is - she raised more than $20k for her campaign using social media. 

• Nparker, Hotel Mike, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#1239 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 June 2024 - 08:53 AM

Has as much teeth as ethics violations at the federal level.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#1240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,558 posts

Posted 28 June 2024 - 02:57 AM

Victoria council’s misguided spending

Victoria’s last and present city council lack any notion of financial prudence. They want the citizenry to decide whether to build a new pool after years of discussions and expenditures that they wasted.

But when it comes time to spend millions of dollars on issues beyond their purview they imagine that the city’s limited resources can manage impossible demands.

Buying Hermann’s for $3.95 million and Romeo’s on Blanshard for $13 million for a park are examples of their financial acumen.

Ten million dollars are spent annually on adding bike lanes often where they are clearly not needed. But to make sure bike roads are honoured, why not build concrete barriers and bollards everywhere to stop the evil four-wheeled vehicles?

Now they want to build a new parking garage by tearing down an existing one whilst advocating new housing with no parking spaces.

Even with burgeoning tax revenues they could not find their way to plan and set aside funds for a new public pool. Ideology has driven their misguided priorities and expenditures. We are the poorer for it.

Patrick Skillings

Victoria

https://www.timescol...pending-9150276

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2024 - 02:57 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)