Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:19 AM

All 4 sailings cancelled so far.

#44 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:50 PM

This is what happens when you hire BC ferries staff. They were bragging that they poached staff from BC ferries.

#45 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:05 PM

Or perhaps it's what happens when you hire the people who aren't even suitable for BC Ferries.  ;)

edit: just to be clear, I don't really have anything against BC Ferries staff....their management however is another story

Edited by Nparker, 14 August 2023 - 04:07 PM.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:50 PM

How did the rest of the day go?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:54 PM

Hullo scraps all sailings on Monday...

https://www.cbc.ca/n...iling-1.6935772

• Matt R. likes this

#48 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:29 PM

The have cancelled all Tuesday sailings too.

And halved their schedule for the remainder of the month.

https://hullo.com/po...ailing-updates/

screenshot-hullo.com-2023.08.15-00_28_16.png

Sounds to me like they have staffing issues.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 08:31 PM.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:42 PM

Oh my, that is very unfortunate. And we're moving fast into fall, when travel demand to Vancouver will decrease.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:47 PM

Sounds like they already have one too many boats for this year.

The problem, as it often is, is that they offer a service that is at least twice as expensive than BCF, much less frequent, not as reliable, and only about 30% faster.  Delivery to downtown is also a plus.

Also, I believe that very few people pre-book walk-on fares on BCF.  People know that it's reliable, frequent, and rarely if ever sold out, for walk-ons.  So that also makes it very flexible.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 08:53 PM.

#51 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:51 PM

Starting in Nanaimo is also a handicap, because it pretty much eliminates nearly 50% of your potential passengers.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 08:58 PM

Starting in Nanaimo is also a handicap, because it pretty much eliminates nearly 50% of your potential passengers.

I guess.  

But it's not like Nanaimo is a popular day-trip or weekend destination for Vancouverites.  It might be a pass-through for travelers by car, to other mid or north-Island locations. 

I think the focus, rightly, is on Vancouver executives deciding to locate in Nanaimo.  Much like Bowen Island, perhaps.

BC Ferries has steadily seen more passengers in recent years. This past year has seen a six per cent increase in ferry traffic to Bowen. A total of 621,222 people passed through the Snug Cove terminal in the 2017-2018 fiscal year (ending March 31,) up from 586,184 people the year before. 

July, the height of the tourist season, historically sees the most ferry traffic and 2018 was no exception. Snug Cove hosted more than 68,000 passengers in July alone. That’s a 3,000-passenger increase from the year before. As a baseline comparison, February, the month with the least Horseshoe Bay-to-Bowen ferry traffic, had just under 40,000 passengers in 2018. 

https://www.bowenisl...licated-3083395

Of course, Bowen Islanders must leave the island for any substantial medical, business, shopping, or wider social trips.  People do not have to leave Nanaimo for much of anything.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 09:00 PM.

#53 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:01 PM

Oh my, that is very unfortunate. And we're moving fast into fall, when travel demand to Vancouver will decrease.

.. and winds will pick up.
  • Nparker likes this

#54 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:04 PM

...I think the focus, rightly, is on Vancouver executives deciding to locate in Nanaimo...

That has to be a relatively small number, especially in an era where so many (even executives) are working from home. I am not sure it is sustainable in the long run.

• Matt R. likes this

#55 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:08 PM

That has to be a relatively small number, especially in an era where so many (even executives) are working from home. I am not sure it is sustainable in the long run.

Yes, I think WFH might have busted this market.

And even if you can get some of this market, you have to be around long enough for some executives to make the move, knowing this service is solidly in place.

Nanaimo ain't the most attractive place either.  I'd rather live in White Rock.

Also, Hullo said it would be available for sporting or other big Vancouver events.  Well, BC Lions are playing, Canucks and Whitecaps schedule is well out, and all major concerts for 2023 are probably announced, PNE concert series* is 2 weeks away, but Hullo has announced ZERO later sailings so far.   

TLC, Boyz II Men, Jason Derulo, Billy Idol, Pat Benatar, Aqua, Boney M, Doug and the Slugs, Billy Talent, Tenille Townes, Walk off the Earth, and Blue Rodeo.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 09:16 PM.

#56 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,051 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:15 PM

October: tool, guns and roses and I’m sure more. Major. Oh, Iron Maiden too, I think.

Edited by Matt R., 14 August 2023 - 10:38 PM.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 10:33 PM

Also, I’m thinking. If they offer the late sailing, and weather cancels it. They really are liable now for hotels. And what if weather cancels it, even a day or two prior?

They cancelled today and tomorrow and while many were inconvenienced, few or none were stranded.

If they had to cancel a midnight departure and they had 200 travellers, can they even fit in the float plane building while they are sorted out?

I don’t recall it being all that big.

Imagine having to stand outside, at midnight, in January.

They are offering a $60 ferry ride, but if they cancel they might have to provide $100 per person hotel rooms (2 per room average). Suddenly a big negative.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 10:38 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 11:39 PM

Is this thing going to be knocked out every time there are 20-30 winds?

screenshot-weather.gc.ca-2023.08.15-03_35_23.png

Because that's all this week potentially, and it's only August.

screenshot-weather.gc.ca-2023.08.15-03_35_48.png

Just wait until the skies of November turn gloomy.  And the gales of November come early.  And the witch of November comes stealin'.  And the gales of November come slashing.    

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 August 2023 - 11:39 PM.

#59 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 11:57 PM

Vancouver resident Sarah Blyth said she was looking ­forward to Hullo’s 10 a.m. sailing from Nanaimo on Monday ­morning and only found out about the cancellation when she was “steps away” from the ­terminal.

“There’s no phone to call, so it’s hard to really get an idea about what’s going on. You just got to wait for things to upload on their site,” she said.

With her plans in disarray, Blyth ended up buying a plane ticket to Vancouver International Airport and taking the Skytrain into town, a trip that cost her about $100.

Blyth, who regularly ­travels between Vancouver and ­Gabriola Island, said it’s an unfortunate first day for Hullo.

“It’s a very good idea for a service. I think it’ll be well used. But it needs to be reliable,” she said. “If it’s not reliable, then it’s going to be hard to plan.”

Caddick said that the startup company is hoping to get its “sea legs” in summer conditions so that they will be prepared for the rougher weather in winter.

Hullo ferries are lightweight catamarans that handle chop well but are more susceptible to heavy winds, Caddick said, adding that Monday’s weather conditions were atypical for this time of the year.

https://www.timescol...l-today-7402531

I do not know much about weather, or maritime weather.   But isn't chop usually associated with higher winds?  Doesn't wind create chop?

Then there’s the chop. This one is a short sea-way, also known as wind-wave. It is produced by the local wind, which by Murphy’s law means it is typically against you all the way home.

https://blog.metserv...ll the way home.

“There’s no phone to call, so it’s hard to really get an idea about what’s going on. You just got to wait for things to upload on their site,” she said.

You know, Hullo should at the very least also update their social media when they have delays and cancellations.  It takes seconds and it's the easiest for people to find.  Alas they have not tweeted since June, not updated FB since the 11th.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2023 - 12:04 AM.

#60 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 12:02 AM

Also, I’m thinking. If they offer the late sailing, and weather cancels it. They really are liable now for hotels. And what if weather cancels it, even a day or two prior?

They cancelled today and tomorrow and while many were inconvenienced, few or none were stranded.

If they had to cancel a midnight departure and they had 200 travellers, can they even fit in the float plane building while they are sorted out?

I don’t recall it being all that big.

Imagine having to stand outside, at midnight, in January.

They are offering a $60 ferry ride, but if they cancel they might have to provide $100 per person hotel rooms (2 per room average). Suddenly a big negative.

I’m curious are they really responsible to provide hotel rooms  with meal vouchers if they cancel your reservation for out of town travellers.

Does BC ferries have the same policy.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users