Sooke waterfront

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 04:13 AM

Sooke waterfront property owners pack meeting to speak against development restrictions

Sooke Mayor Maja Tait: “There’s no intention of expropriating land to put in a boardwalk. I don’t know where that came from.”

Facing a standing-room-only council chamber, Sooke Mayor Maja Tait said council has no intention of expropriating anyone’s property for a boardwalk or otherwise.

“There was a letter taped to a tree somewhere about [how] we’re taking the entire shoreline of Sooke and that was a bit of a shocker to me,” Tait told the Times Colonist prior to the meeting. “There’s no intention of expropriating land to put in a boardwalk. I don’t know where that came from.”

Tait said any waterfront trail is at this point only an idea and would likely be at least 50 years away.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 June 2023 - 04:13 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:10 AM

So how do you make a waterfront trail? Put it out on stilts like the existing one?

I’m sure it’ll be requested, as part of redevelopment of existing properties. If someone wants to build a house on a vacant lot today, the district will try to get access to frontage. I’m not sure how that’ll pan out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,069 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:15 AM

So how do you make a waterfront trail? Put it out on stilts like the existing one?

I guess, and build it between the high and low tide marks.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 06:33 AM

The existing boardwalk at Ed McGregor Park is built out along the shore, above water. Odd.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users