Nahmint - Vancouver Islands new city of tomorrow

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 03:56 AM

Today, I'm up at 4am, doing what others won't.

So that tomorrow, I can do what others can't.

So this morning I have worked up plans for Nihmant, the new Vancouver Island city.

nahmint copy.jpg

So it's a linear city, all on one side of the inlet (since nobody likes looking at ugly houses, you look across the inlet to mountains).  And if you are boating on the inlet, you can face away from the homes if you like.

• Nahmint Woods is a pretty exclusive forested area, lots are no less than 1 acre.  VERY wooded.  Only 3,000 lots here.
  • Nahmint Hills is similar, but smaller lots, less exclusive.
  • Nahmint Heights looks like Gordon Head, quite frankly.  Still very pleasant.

Nahmint itself runs from Port Alberni all the way down, almost to Bamfield.  Generously a road has been provided into Bamfield.

Nahmint is only a litte over 2km wide at its widest point, but it's about 35km long.

As noted, about 20% of the homes have views over the inlet.

A new airport serves the community at the south end.

Development fees have paid for a new highway 4 bypass to ease the issues at Cameron Lake.

North and Central Nahmint feature some of BC's highest summer temperatures, and record sunshine.  South Nahmint is a little more temperate. 

screenshot-weatherspark.com-2023.07.09-08_22_26.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 July 2023 - 04:25 AM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 08:06 AM

Great!

It has a deep sea container port, with a rail connection to the east coast of the Island using former railway corridors from logging operations.

Lots of high paying jobs there.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 08:12 AM

With full build-out expected by 2032, it'll be Vancouver Island's largest city, 3rd or 4th-largest in BC.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 July 2023 - 08:13 AM.

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 08:21 AM

Great!

It has a deep sea container port, with a rail connection to the east coast of the Island using former railway corridors from logging operations.

Lots of high paying jobs there.

I guess so.  But those kinds of workers don't get the ocean-view homes.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 08:43 AM

It would be connected by a multiple daily sailing ferry to Ucluelet.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 11:53 AM

I’m in.

#7 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 July 2023 - 11:59 AM

I’ll take a water view SFH in Nahmint Heights. What’s that go for, 1.5m?

Edited by lanforod, 09 July 2023 - 11:59 AM.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 09 July 2023 - 03:32 PM

I’ll take a water view SFH in Nahmint Heights. What’s that go for, 1.5m?

I can get you into a 1,250 sq. ft. duplex or row-house for $775,000.  

2-bedroom-1250-sqft-independent-house-in-faizabad-road-lucknow-1792d1cdce14f770dcc20ae3b13afdbc_thumb.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 July 2023 - 03:36 PM.

#9 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 July 2023 - 06:29 PM

Eww

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,068 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 05:48 AM

CAPITAL DAILY:

Last Tuesday the Huu-ay-aht celebrated the completion of the 76km ​​Bamfield Main Road Reconciliation Project. The First Nations had been calling for years for improvement to the risky unpaved road between Port Alberni and Bamfield. But change came only after a 2019 bus rollover killed two first-year UVic students.

The project has taken three years since it was announced, and involves chip-sealing, seal-coat hard surfacing, and drainage improvements to reduce flooding-related closures. BC put in $36M and the Huu-ay-aht contributed $5M.

That final cost grew some $10M from the initial estimate, and the project lasted further into 2024 than projected. A strategy for maintaining the new road still needs to be worked out, the Huu-ay-aht announcement said.

#11 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 06:55 AM

Lasted further into 2024?

The road now has massive ditches. One moment of not paying attention, and you’ll end your journey real quick. I’ve never seen ditches that can swallow an F350, but that’s what that road has.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 07:03 AM

Zoom in on that ditch. It’s huge! I’ve never encountered something like that before. There are going to be a lot of vehicles rolling when leaving the road there. I stopped to check out the way they built it and I tell ya, it’s a white knuckled route with zero margin for error by night.

IMG_1626.jpeg

Know it all.

#13 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:55 AM

If you've never encountered something like that here in BC, you don't get out much.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 08:56 AM

Great! I’m glad you can help me out.

What other road has a 5’ ditch on either side, around here?

Know it all.

#15 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:00 AM

That’s like 2/3 of the roads on salt spring. Keep your stick on the ice.

#16 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:06 AM

I don’t think you guys grasp what a 5’ ditch looks like. It will swallow your minivan, Matt.

When I say I’ve never encountered that before, I’m not being glib. When they paved this road they added quite a bit of material to the old logging road surface, it looks like. So what was a large ditch already, is now deeper. If you go off the road there, you’ll roll. This is not business as usual.

Know it all.

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:09 AM

More like “valleys” here I guess. Same idea tho.

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:10 AM

Can you point us to a Streetview?

Know it all.

#19 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:12 AM

What, where the edge of the road just ends with a 10m fall?

#20 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 09:17 AM

No, a road, with a giant ditch on either side. I’m not talking about shelf roads.

Neither of you might spend enough time on the backroads to know what I mean. This road is different. Buddy who’s a professional driver came over the radio to caution us, when he noticed how big the ditches were. They’re so deep, you’ll roll your truck if you catch the edge. It’s not a good road design, and should have included concrete barriers in some sections.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users