APPROVED
The Grand and Fir
Use: condo
Address: 167-171 Island Highway
Municipality: View Royal
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, 1BR + den, 2BR + den, junior 1BR)
Sales status: pre-sales
The Grand and Fir is a five-storey condominium complex along the 100-block of Island Highway in the Town of Vi... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Grand and Fir on Citified.ca      Official website: https://thegrandandfir.com
Photo

[View Royal] The Grand and Fir | Condos

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:30 AM

Citified profile: https://victoria.cit...-grand-and-fir/

Grand-and-Fir-rendering-C.jpg

Grand-and-Fir-rendering-A.jpg

Grand-and-Fir-rendering-G.jpg

Grand-and-Fir-interior-rendering-D.jpg

The total commitment for a downpayment here is 5%, payable over 12 months. That's quite the thing, to have that low of a pre-sale down payment structure. Typically it's 10% up front, then another 5 to 10%.

View Royal's Grand & Fir condo pre-sale offering 'unheard of' 2.5% deposit structure on 1BR, 2BR and 3BR homes

https://victoria.cit...-and-3br-homes/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 03:08 PM

That's pretty good, who knew there was a park next door.  That reaches all the way to the water.

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.07.20-19_09_08.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 July 2023 - 03:10 PM.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 03:15 PM

Not just a park, but a noteworthy, portable toilet!

view royal.png

• Matt R. likes this

#4 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 03:24 PM

I was even more surprised to spot this humble abode in the View Royal 'hood.

VR estate.png

VR estate2.png

• Matt R. likes this

#5 BikeLaneLover

BikeLaneLover
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:58 PM

I like the nod to Art Moderne with the horizontal lines of this project, but the architect really made a dog’s breakfast of the traffic and pedestrian flows. I understand the need for visitor parking, but there’s a huge amount of asphalt at the front of this building, which is not great for maintaining the soil structure.

Of greater concern, pedestrian access tot he main entrance of the building cuts across the entrance to the parkade at the top of a curved slope. This is a recipe for some hot shot zooming out of the parkade and smoking a pedestrian (possibly their neighbour). Totally unacceptable and dangerous planning.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:23 PM

I gotta say, I don't think I was even aware that View Royal Ave. existed. I honestly don't know if I've ever been on any of the streets in that neighbourhood running from Admiral's Walk to the Six Mile Bridge.

• Nparker likes this

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 11:38 PM

It’s a big unknown. I had to pick someone up out there a couple of weeks ago, and they used Top Dog Pizza as a landmark. Not helpful.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 05:32 AM

It’s a hidden gem of a neighbourhood, it really is.

The smart money bought here years ago, when Victorians found it unacceptable to live west of Cook Street.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 05:37 AM

Of greater concern, pedestrian access tot he main entrance of the building cuts across the entrance to the parkade at the top of a curved slope. This is a recipe for some hot shot zooming out of the parkade and smoking a pedestrian (possibly their neighbour). Totally unacceptable and dangerous planning.

Is there an example of a parkade entrance that doesn’t cross a pedestrian crossing?

The design of the ramp has to be such that sight lines are maintained, and you need to wait for the gate to close behind you. It won’t be a highway through there 😎
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#10 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 07:50 AM

I like the nod to Art Moderne with the horizontal lines of this project, but the architect really made a dog’s breakfast of the traffic and pedestrian flows. I understand the need for visitor parking, but there’s a huge amount of asphalt at the front of this building, which is not great for maintaining the soil structure.

both easy fixes if they decide to do something about them. one way to handle the first thing, for example: https://www.youtube....h?v=2wm4H65EDbE or https://www.youtube....h?v=XisI9gwQTsA

for the second i think the curves from the garage door to the road, as designed, would discourage speeding but just in case they could use paint or change the pavement of the crosswalk to make it clearer that people are meant to cross there, or raise the crosswalk so it works as a big speed bump

#11 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:17 AM

The smart money bought here years ago...

Let me guess: that's your pied-a-terre in Nparker's post #4 above?

• Nparker likes this

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 11:46 AM

The boathouse on the tip of the peninsula, correct.

Know it all.

#13 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 08:33 AM

attachicon.gif VR estate.png

attachicon.gif VR estate2.png

I am told this is the home of one of the developers behind Jukebox, Mod, The Reef, Mosiac, etc.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 08:37 AM

I am told this is the home of one of the developers behind Jukebox, Mod, The Reef, Mosiac, etc.

https://www.viewroya...w Royal Ave.pdf

• Matt R. likes this

#15 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:49 AM

Even in lower interest times, to sell nearly one suite per day would have been quite the feat, and this project is selling units at that pace in today's market.

Market-leading 2.5% downpayment option propels Grand & Fir condo project to 35% sold-out

https://victoria.cit...rcent-sold-out/

Know it all.

#16 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 08:53 AM

That's pretty good.  I think it's a fine location.

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 22 August 2023 - 11:06 AM

If you can look beyond today's interest rates, and if you believe rates will be lower by 2026, this is a decent opportunity.

The population continues to grow, and housing starts are slowing.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users