Photo

Pickleball

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#41 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 January 2024 - 03:14 PM

^^ Buna is also working to try and get Extremity MRI going.

#42 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 10:24 AM

I've now seen the facility is 15k sq ft. So over 30k a month in lease costs? Yikes!

#43 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:12 PM

Can I just make this observation?

On the one hand there isn't a jurisdiction in the world that isn't desperately short of physical land for housing, but on the other hand there seems to be no end of space for acres of brand new pickleball courts.

On the one hand the world is becoming unbearably hot, but on the other hand the large new pickleball facilities in Florida, Arizona, Texas, etc. have dozens and dozens of outdoor courts.

On the one hand we should constantly be fearful of the potentially deadly exhalations of the people around us, but on the other hand we should be dropping everything and gathering in large groups to take up this new pastime.

Did I mention how governments everywhere are in love with contradictory narratives pickleball?

• Matt R. likes this

#44 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:22 PM

I've now seen the facility is 15k sq ft. So over 30k a month in lease costs? Yikes!

Probably more than that as the $20 / sq ft would just be the base rent I presume

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,067 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 11:51 AM

Pickleball: the latest tenant to volley its way into old shopping malls

Growing popularity of the paddle sport leads to unique locations of play

https://www.cbc.ca/n...arity-1.7095865

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 January 2024 - 11:51 AM.

• JuicyJustice likes this

#46 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:02 PM

I saw the report on the quieter paddle on the news and they said the price was half of what a regular paddle costs. Are paddles really that expensive? I guess I can't afford to play pickleball if a paddle is over $300. 

#47 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 07:27 PM

^I have one you can have for free, it cost me around $20.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#48 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 08:56 PM

It’s the sound of growing popularity. Pickleball is taking over indoor sporting venues.

Booking a court at Saanich’s Pearkes Recreation Centre takes careful planning and strategy. Just ask player Chris Hinton, who had to book a week in advance.

“The computers open at 8:30, and you have to be on your phone at 8:29 a week before to get a court,” he said.

“And if you are second or third in line, you are probably not going to get what you want.”

Finding space to play is an issue across the country for the sport, with Pickleball Canada estimating close to a million people play at least once a month.

https://www.cheknews...t-time-1188598/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2024 - 08:56 PM.

#49 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 09:14 PM

I find the sudden pickleball craze rather hard to understand.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 05:07 AM

A roller derby league says a pickleball expansion at the Archie Browning Sports Centre is pushing its practices to evening slots that are too late for its younger ­members.

Esquimalt council unanimously agreed this week for staff to purchase about $60,000 worth of pickleball infrastructure ahead of the township’s annual budget approval in May.

Four portable pickleball courts are to be installed on the curling rink dry floor at Archie Browning, a space that the township says has been historically underutilized during the curling off-season.

The township is proposing up to 12 hours a day of pickleball programming, seven days a week.

Connie McCann, president of the Victoria Regional Pickleball Association, said she welcomes the addition of four new pickleball courts in Esquimalt. Close to 70 per cent of the association’s 670 members live within five or six kilometres of Esquimalt, which has no dedicated outdoor courts, she said. “Our numbers are very large. Our demand for space is huge.”

“Families and youth are starting to join the sport and now it’s just going into the stratosphere,” McCann said.

https://www.timescol...pansion-8186788

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 January 2024 - 05:07 AM.

#51 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 03:58 PM

Well, if you like racquet sports:

- Tennis is intimidating and difficult to learn

- Racquetball and Squash are also difficult but have even less facilities

- Badminton is friendly but hard to play on windy days and has no facilities at all

By comparison, pickleball's as easy as badminton, can be played in most conditions, can be played on a tennis court if necessary, and has the word 'pickle' in the name which makes it sound fun and friendly.

Edited by Danma, 31 January 2024 - 03:58 PM.

#52 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 04:07 PM

Whatever floats one's boat I suppose. I just don't want to see my tax dollars wasted to prop up a fad.

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:50 PM

^After 60 some years, can it be called a fad?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 07:56 PM

^ when you are as old as NParker, 60 years is just the beginning of the fad!
  • LJ likes this

#55 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 08:48 PM

I don't find it hard to understand the popularity of pickleball. I find it hard to understand the heavyhanded promotion of pickleball, and especially when governments everywhere are $$$$ on board as if it's the first recreational pastime they've ever heard of.

Also, the way the hype often ties it back to the lockdowns: "Y'all love pickleball so much because of the lockdowns." I mean, come on. Maybe we should start sanctioning people who manage to stay healthy and happy even though they don't play pickleball and/or don't buy lots of pickleball merch?

What Exactly Is Pickleball, Everyone's New Favorite Racquet Sport?

The sport is on a rocket ship, rising in popularity THANKS in large part to the pandemic.

from https://www.popsugar.com/fitness

--

Check out the following controversy re: a plan to put new pickleball courts in a park in Pennsylvania. No sensible person should be able to read this without having their BS detector pin to overload. The real value of pickleball is the way it obliges people to stand around and wait? Hey, there used to be long waits for public tennis courts back in the 1970s and early 1980s. Spoiler alert: nobody thought those long waits were a good thing, a fun thing, or something we otherwise really needed to experience.

Open space committee chairman Joe Meehan says:

"People who go to a pickleball court, stand there and wait to get on a court with somebody they don't know. The people then get to know each other. That is not in this community right now, and it's needed. It's absolutely needed, and we will find someplace to put them in Towamencin," he said.

Gisela Koch suggested, if the community needs a place to socialize and interact, why not a community center with indoor facilities to do so?

"I think we could use other things in this community before pickleball. We sure could use a community center, with maybe a library, or some arts, some programs there for seniors, some programs for children. And we do have space in the community to do that, before pickleball," she said.

Edited by aastra, 31 January 2024 - 08:48 PM.

#56 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 31 January 2024 - 09:03 PM

"People who go to a pickleball court, stand there and wait to get on a court with somebody they don't know. The people then get to know each other. That is not in this community right now, and it's needed. It's absolutely needed

Public transit stations, ATM machines, hospital waiting rooms, passport renewal centres... The ideal community would provide numerous and varied opportunities for people to stand around with strangers while they patiently wait for something.

#57 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 02:46 AM

There’s good news for people on southern Vancouver Island who like to pick up a paddle and play a game of pickleball.

A dedicated pickleball facility will soon open in Langford, and it will be the first indoor centre that’s opening specifically for the game.

There’s no firm date yet for when the facility, called the Victoria Pickleball Centre, will open, but organizers say games will begin in early spring 2024.

Ever since pickleball exploded onto the scene it’s been plagued by the problem of where to play, with some Island residents complaining about noise near courts – and other court users, like tennis players, growing upset about decreased court time in public parks.

https://www.cheknews...n-soon-1196983/

#58 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:18 AM

Will it be popular enough to where people will drive all the way to west Langford for a game? We shall see, I guess. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#59 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:03 AM

There are no limits to pickleball's popularity. It's like the sporting equivalent of a marijuana shop or a nail salon or one of those little investment places.

#60 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:06 AM

^^^ They were supposed to be open already.

Ms. Buna is also an owner of Extremity MRI.

Private MRI clinic unable to open space in Hillside mall - Victoria Times Colonist

Extremity MRI has already leased the space and had planned to open in the spring or summer of last year, providing scans of extremities such as knees, ankles, feet, hands, wrists, forearms and elbows. It says on its website, however, that it was denied accreditation by the B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons

Edited by spanky123, 28 March 2024 - 10:08 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users