Photo

‘80’s Clubs/Discos

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Delaney

Delaney
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 September 2023 - 08:43 PM

I was a DJ in a few clubs in the late ‘70’s early’80’s. Curious to know if anyone else is still alive and has a few memories they might want to share
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:18 AM

Which clubs? We'll move this an appropriate part of the forum, but first let's just make sure this isn't a bot.  :construction:

• Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:44 AM

I first visited Pals/Rumours in the mid-ish 80s.

#4 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:59 AM

The Forge, Max Headroom, New York New York, Sweetwaters.

I forget the rest! 

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,506 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 09:59 AM

Rumours was awesome. I remember one night playing doubles pool there with a super sexy woman who was being quite quiet. Then the other player, who could probably tell I was smitten, told me he wasn't a woman. I should have known by the pool skills. Sometimes I would recognise someone there and think "I didn't know they were gay" and then realise that they were probably thinking the same thing about me....

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 10:38 AM

Great. Now the bot has enough content to write months of posts with, as they slowly infiltrate the forum and bypass Ianforod’s security process.
  • Nparker and lanforod like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 11:32 AM

Did we ever figure out if it’s Ianforod or lanforod?

Back in the 80’s my dad had a side hustle doing janitorial and also some vending machines and these massive wall-hung “video games”, which were essentially 8x4’ painted boxes with bulbs and circuit boards in them which ran a simple program that was controlled via IR from a single button mounted on a podium some feet away. When I say simple, I mean simple. The board would show, for example, a baseball diamond. Hit the button to pitch, hit it again to swing, and that was it. Crowd would cheer, fans would light up on the painted plexi, endless fun and since we stored the extras at my house we were always a popular after school hangout.

I remember going into some downtown clubs during the day and hanging out, probably just to get me out of my mom’s way, while he would clean and service the equipment. I particularly remember the smell of stale beer and sticky floors in the club at Market Square, which would have been Sweetwaters at the time.

He did a bunch of doctors offices too, also super interesting for a kid not even 10.
  • Nparker and lanforod like this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 11:34 AM

Nightclubs by day are such a trip. They look so, so bad!
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,051 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 11:50 AM

Yes the memory is vivid. Sticky, smelly, run down and dirty. Come to think about, that must have been a pretty gross job.

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 12:29 PM

Do we even have night clubs in this city? Upstairs and the honky tonk down by the warehouses come to mind. What else? Sticky Wicket maybe?

Know it all.

#11 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 02:56 PM

those, plus Lucky and Paparazzi: https://martlet.ca/r...ias-nightclubs/

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

I was never a big Lucky guy, but I liked it.

I think the first club I went to on the regular was Oly’s. Good times.

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 03:14 PM

Oh yeah, Lucky! Paparazzi is still going eh?

Man, have things changed. Now the young people go to brewpubs I guess.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 27 September 2023 - 03:20 PM

For the most part, young males just play video games.

Online dating has changed things too. Now 10% of the guys get 90% of the action. Things have shaken up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 September 2023 - 03:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users