• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:21 AM

Hockey stick can go, say Cowichan residents. From the CVRD:

The CVRD will seek proposals to take ownership of the World’s Largest Hockey Stick!

Through CVRD Board direction, staff ran a public engagement survey regarding future direction of the WLHS from June 19 to September 30, 2023. The results of this survey found that the majority of respondents indicated:

• it is not important to maintain the world record for the largest hockey stick and puck
• the WLHS does not provide significant importance to the region
• they do not support replacing the WLHS

Considering the survey results and the high cost of replacement, on November 30, 2023, the Cowichan Core Recreation Commission directed staff to move ahead with decommissioning the WLHS in 2024.

Knowing there is likely public interest in taking ownership of the WLHS structure in its current form, the CVRD will be accepting proposals from community organizations or individuals wishing to take and make use of the structure through a formal Expression of Interest process.

More information on submitting proposals to take ownership of the WLHS as part of the Expression of Interest process will soon be available at https://ow.ly/2zMZ50QfhVO.

Read the News Release: https://ow.ly/MJba50Qfi4V

#CVRD

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,066 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 08:58 AM

Tom Duncan, acting chair of the Cowichan Core Recreation Commission, told CBC News that of the more than 3,300 responses received, more than seventy per cent said "it was just not in the cards" to keep the stick, especially at an estimated cost of $1.5 million for maintenance.

Seems to me they could probably have raised volunteers to do this for a fraction of the price.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uncan-1.7049728

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2023 - 08:58 AM.

#3 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:27 PM

I would tend to agree. Could you not cut the length down by a third to reduce the maintenance costs/burden (not to mention the overall weight) and then use the cut portion as future repair material? I admit I'm not an expert re: the maintenance of gigantic hockey sticks, but a price tag in the millions seems a bit far-fetched. How much did it cost to make the thing in the first place?

But if nobody cares then get rid of it. Although they'd probably say the price tag for removing it would be $300,000 or some such thing.

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,066 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:32 PM

I happen to be a maintenance expert on giant hockey sticks.

Are the metal columns holding it up fine?

Just get a volunteer crane company to take it down.

Work on it like in a longhouse totem pole situation. Maybe there are experts very nearby?

Put it back up.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2023 - 02:32 PM.

#5 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:43 PM

I happen to be a maintenance expert on giant hockey sticks.

Snap. I deserved to get slapped down.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 02:45 PM

Vilified in Victoria*, so to speak.

*Victoriavilified

Edited by aastra, 06 December 2023 - 07:12 PM.

#7 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 05:07 PM

Burn it burning man style with a huge party. Nothing is forever.... 

#8 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:55 PM

You're saying we should stick it to the man? That's over the line. I thought we were passed that. Next time try checking yourself first.

• dasmo likes this

#9 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:57 PM

Nobody appreciated my baseball puns in another thread so I'm doing hockey now.

#10 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 06:58 PM

Burn it burning man style with a huge party.

Bauer to the people?

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#11 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 06 December 2023 - 07:05 PM

You are doing god’s work….

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 08:28 AM

New weir coming to Cowichan Lake. From the Province:

B.C. is taking an important step forward in drought preparedness by supporting a new Cowichan Lake weir, ensuring the Cowichan River continues to flow and provide a safe and reliable water supply for people, businesses, the environment and wildlife.

“Last year, the iconic Cowichan River almost dried up as B.C. experienced record drought. Only emergency measures and giant pumps were able to keep the river flowing during the rainy season,” said Premier David Eby. “Replacing the Cowichan weir will allow more water to be captured, stored and used when needed. This will keep the river healthy, the fish swimming and better support the people of Cowichan during severe drought.”

The Province announced $14 million as part of Budget 2024 to support Cowichan Tribes in their initiative to replace the 74-year-old Cowichan Lake weir. A higher weir will allow more water to be stored in Cowichan Lake during winter months and released in a controlled way into the Cowichan River in times of dryness or drought. The higher weir will not raise the lake levels above their annual high-water mark or impact the floodplain boundary.

“People care deeply about our rivers and lakes, which are at the heart of communities like the Cowichan Valley,” said Nathan Cullen, Minister of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship. “I want to recognize the hard work of Cowichan Tribes and their partners in the Cowichan Valley Regional District and Cowichan Water Board for championing a project that will bring significant benefits to the area, such as greater food security, healthy habitat for fish, preserved cultural practice and a water supply that people and businesses can depend on.”

The Province’s additional contributions to the Cowichan Weir Replacement Project leverages a previous $4 million provided to the Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) through the BC Salmon Restoration and Innovation Fund, which allowed study of the engineering requirements to replace the weir, and $24 million already committed by the Government of Canada through a Federal Disaster Mitigation and Adaptation Fund grant to Cowichan Tribes.

“The well-being of our territory and our people, our Quw’utsun Mustimuhw, is inseparable from the well-being of the Quw’utsun Stal’o. For us, every day is Water Day. Hulitun tst tu qa' – water is life,” said Chief Cindy Daniels, Cowichan Tribes. “I am pleased to recognize the provincial government for this essential funding to replace the Lake Cowichan weir, which combined with federal funding, will support more suitable water flows for the river, salmon and wildlife, and our communities. We will continue to work with the Province to develop a collaborative and sustainable water-governance model to ensure the health of the watershed well into the future.”

Along with the Cowichan Weir Replacement Project, the Province continues to make significant investments in drought preparedness and water-infrastructure projects, including:

expanding the Agriculture Water Infrastructure Program with $83 million to help B.C.’s agricultural producers improve water management and water supply for crops and livestock;
launching new water-metering pilot programs in 21 communities, with $50 million to pilot new tools to better gauge water use and identify leaks, to conserve the water people need;
increasing the storage capacity and water management at Saint Mary Lake on Salt Spring Island ($10 million); and
supporting projects that strengthen and improve the health of watersheds in B.C. with $157 million for watershed security.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,066 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 08:35 AM

A couple years ago I did the tubing thing.

I fell asleep about 1.5 hours in, and didn’t wake up until I was in Honeymoon Bay 9 hours later.

Would a new weir have helped? Or woken me up? That news release doesn’t cover that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 March 2024 - 08:36 AM.

#14 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 08:58 AM

About. Freaking. Time. Excellent news. The state of the river at the height of summer was shocking, disturbing and just sad. There were extended stretches where you could literally walk across broad swaths of the riverbed and not get your boots wet. Kudos for the province finally stepping up. Its critical not only for the health of the river - and multiple species of resident fish - but important that the floodplain not be adversely impacted by higher waterflow. If you've ever spent time down at the estuary when water levels are high you know what I mean. Good news all around.

• lanforod likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:36 AM

A couple years ago I did the tubing thing.

I fell asleep about 1.5 hours in, and didn’t wake up until I was in Honeymoon Bay 9 hours later.

Would a new weir have helped? Or woken me up? That news release doesn’t cover that.

Oh oh. What else might have happened?

Know it all.

#16 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 02:37 PM

Although it wasn't completely bone dry, I grew up one block from the Cowichan River in the 1960s and in summer walked across it all the time. Very shallow, esp. the stretch between the Silver Bridge and Cow. Bay. Just ankle deep. 

• Matt R. likes this

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 02:40 PM

I’ve never know it to be any other way in summer.

Know it all.

#18 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:09 PM

Although it wasn't completely bone dry, I grew up one block from the Cowichan River in the 1960s and in summer walked across it all the time. Very shallow, esp. the stretch between the Silver Bridge and Cow. Bay. Just ankle deep. 

We were nowhere near Cow Bay, I'm referring to well up beyond Sandy Pool closer to Riverbend.

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:11 PM

Wouldn’t the flow get bigger as the river flows towards the mouth? Ie, the biggest flow is typically where it ends, not closer to the source.

Know it all.

#20 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 March 2024 - 04:19 PM

Other way around I think.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users