Hockey Canada and alleged assault case from 2018

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 01:01 PM

Oh man this is going to be a bombshell and media circus when the 5 alleged players' names are revealed; London (Ont) police to hold a PC on February 5th.

Not coincidentally multiple NHL players this week requested 'leaves of absence' from their respective NHL/European teams, including Calgary, Philadelphia and New Jersey among others. The best known of these is goaltender Carter Hart of the Flyers. Nothing proven/announced officially but it would seem a few young Canadian players' dreams of an NHL career are likely over if the charges are proven in court.

A terrible black eye in that event for Canadian hockey and especially the Old Boy's network which ran Hockey Canada up until recently, and which sought to hush up the alleged incident/assault by settling out of court with the complainant in 2022:

https://www.msn.com/...fede7984e&ei=26

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 01:16 PM

Yup.

Names will come out well before the 5th. Public will also demand earlier arrests. Serious police forces generally do not let suspects choose their arrest dates. That looks shitty.

All innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2024 - 01:20 PM.

#3 m3m

m3m
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 01:52 PM

Aren’t the players already known? Foote, Dube, Hart, McLean, and I forget the last one

#4 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 01:55 PM

Yup.

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 02:17 PM

Aren’t the players already known? Foote, Dube, Hart, McLean, and I forget the last one

Alex Formenton, ex-Senator draft pick now playing in Switzerland (or was, not likely any more). Also Michael McLeod of the Devils who is among the players who is 'taking leave' as of this week. Looks very bad not only on the players - if in fact they are guilty of the assault - but on HC for trying to make the affair go away by initially, until the media got wind of it much later, settling with the complainant eighteen months ago.

Edited by AllseeingEye, 24 January 2024 - 02:23 PM.

#6 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 03:07 PM

Michael McLeod and Cal Foote have been granted indefinite leaves of absence from the Devils, the team said in a statement, adding that there would be no further comment at this time. 

McLeod and Foote were both members of the Canadian World Juniors team in 2018 that has five members facing allegations of sexual assault, according to The Globe And Mail.

It was reported on Wednesday that five players have been told to surrender to police in Canada due to the allegations.

In addition to McLeod and Foote, three other players who were members of the 2018 Canadian World Juniors team have also been granted leaves of absence -- Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames, Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers, and Alex Formenton, who is currently playing for the Swiss league team HC Ambri Piotta.

https://sny.tv/artic...-absence-devils

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2024 - 03:07 PM.

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:29 PM

I think all, save maybe for one, of the realtors accused of sexual assault in those Instagram posts from a few years ago are back to selling homes.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:49 PM

Michael McLeod and Cal Foote have been granted indefinite leaves of absence from the Devils, the team said in a statement, adding that there would be no further comment at this time. 

McLeod and Foote were both members of the Canadian World Juniors team in 2018 that has five members facing allegations of sexual assault, according to The Globe And Mail.

It was reported on Wednesday that five players have been told to surrender to police in Canada due to the allegations.

In addition to McLeod and Foote, three other players who were members of the 2018 Canadian World Juniors team have also been granted leaves of absence -- Dillon Dube of the Calgary Flames, Carter Hart of the Philadelphia Flyers, and Alex Formenton, who is currently playing for the Swiss league team HC Ambri Piotta.

https://sny.tv/artic...-absence-devils

September, 2022:

Dillon Dubé

"All of CBC News' questions will be asked and answered during the pending NHL investigation. Dillon did not engage in any wrongdoing, and he co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, through which all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing. 

"Naming Dillon or attempting to associate him in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that he was not co-operative with the London police or was unwilling to co-operate with Hockey Canada, will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm," David Cowan, agent for Dubé wrote to CBC.

In a Sept. 23 media appearance, Dubé told a Sportsnet columnist that "I've co-operated in any way possible and will continue co-operating. I've done everything I can to co-operate."

"I will continue to do that. With it going on, I wish I could share more, but that's kind of all I can share up to this point," Dubé said.

He added to his statement the next day:

"With (the investigation) going on, I wish I could share more. But that's all I can share to this point. I would love to be transparent. I know that's all I can really say on it to be honest. For me, I wish I could tell."

Cal Foote 

Foote's agent Kurt Overhardt told Global News his client was not involved in the alleged sexual assault.

Alex Formenton

No statement as of Sept. 27.

Michael McLeod

"I am aware of the situation in 2018 and the investigation and I've been co-operative through the entire investigation and process, but since it's still ongoing, I'm unable to comment any further," McLeod told NJ.com.

Jake Bean, Carter Hart, Colton Point, Kale Clague, Jordan Kyrou, Taylor Raddysh

Toronto lawyer Scott Fenton wrote to Global News at the time that his firm represents one of these players and that he consulted with counsel for the other players. He declined to identify that player. He told Global:

"None of the players you reference engaged in any wrongdoing, all of the players co-operated fully with the independent London Police Service investigation in 2018, and all players were then cleared of any wrongdoing.

"Naming any of these players now, or attempting to associate any of them in any way with alleged criminal wrongdoing, or alleging that they were not co-operative with the London police or willing to co-operate with Hockey Canada will constitute materially false statements constituting defamation causing serious financial and reputational harm," Fenton wrote to Global News.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2018-1.6597503

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2024 - 08:52 PM.

#9 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 12:54 PM

I think all, save maybe for one, of the realtors accused of sexual assault in those Instagram posts from a few years ago are back to selling homes.

And none of the 7 Canadian General officers accused of sexual assault was found guilty. The only action was taken over an obstruction allegation. 

It should go without saying that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. The mob on X certainly doesn't feel that way.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 02:08 PM

Four National Hockey League players – Carter HartMichael McLeodDillon Dube, and Cal Foote – have been directed to surrender to police in London, Ont., to be charged with sexual assault in connection with an alleged incident that occurred during a Hockey Canada event in the city in June 2018, two sources familiar with the matter told TSN.

The players are expected to surrender before the London Police Service holds a press conference on Monday to update the public on the high-profile case.

Lawyers for the four players either declined to comment or did not respond to a request for comment.

The Globe and Mail reported on Jan. 24 that London police have instructed five members of Canada’s 2018 World Junior team to surrender to be charged with sexual assault. Former Ottawa Senators player Alex Formenton, who currently plays in Switzerland, reported to police on Jan. 28 to be officially charged.

Gary Ellis, the former head of Toronto Police Service’s sex crimes unit, told TSN in an interview that the players would be photographed, fingerprinted, and directed to sign an undertaking not to have contact with the alleged victim, either the first time they report to police or at a subsequent date.

The five players are accused of sexually assaulting a woman at a London hotel on June 19, 2018, following a Hockey Canada Foundation golf and gala event.

https://www.tsn.ca/n...ation-1.2069570

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 January 2024 - 02:09 PM.

#11 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,083 posts

Posted 30 January 2024 - 02:31 PM

NHL player Michael McLeod charged with sexual assault in Canadian world juniors investigation, lawyer says

New Jersey Devil is 2nd junior team member to face charges linked to alleged 2018 incident in London, Ont.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-says-1.7099554

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users