Community Radio

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,617 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 08:20 PM

Interesting concept I was not at all aware of this sub-set of the national radio market. Given that all the ex-radio folks I know, who are are older than me and retired, are not at all happy with the state of the medium in 2024, kudos to this bunch for remaining optimistic and at least trying to breathe life into the industry. 

Clearly they are a younger demographic too since all the (retired) folks I know - ex-CJVI, ex-CFAX, ex-CFOX, ex-CFUN, ex-CKNW and other stations - are universally anti-AI and the notion of a "Radio-GPT" would certainly find no converts in that crowd; that is understandable given their ages, corporate concentration within the industry which impacted and even ended many, many on air gigs across the country especially over the last 25 years, and certainly also technological change. Consider that a Dallas radio station not long ago launched an AI "DJ", indicative of where the industry is probably inevitably headed. When I mentioned this to "Tom" a well known ex-CFUN on-air guy in the 70's/80's and later in the 90's, he looked very sad and just shook his head. He is currently writing a book on his 40 years in the biz and will certainly have a chapter or two in there about the major hurdles facing the industry today.

Given their stated format with an emphasis on disseminating "community information" exclusively, I can see this cohort having listeners among older boomers especially but I'm not sure how sustainable this will be over the longer term once that group dies off. Our 25-year old kiddo wouldn't know radio if it fell out of the sky and she's certainly not alone in the GenZ/Millennial crowd. Anyway the best of luck to these people:

https://www.timescol...-summit-8153859

Edited by AllseeingEye, 24 January 2024 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users