#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:17 PM

Devils-Bath-Vancouver-Island-North-BC-Canada-00006.jpg

441119.jpg

DEVIL’S BATH RECREATION SITE

A day use site located along the Alice Lake Loop, Devil’s Bath is considered one of Canada’s largest cenotes (flooded sinkhole) measuring 359m around and 44m deep. The cenote connects to the Benson River which is 200m to the northwest through a series of cave passages 80m below the water table.

This day use site has a viewing platform perched above the cenote which enables a great view into the dark waters below. Always use caution when traveling on industrial roads.

https://vancouverisl...ecreation-site/

The star attraction of the Alice Lake Loop — a remote gravel road-accessed wilderness area between Port Alice and Port McNeill — the Devil’s Bath is reputed to be Canada’s largest cenote.

Associated mostly with Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, cenotes are essentially large, waterfilled sinkholes formed in limestone where cavern roofs collapse to form natural pools.

https://www.vancouve...ls-bath-7182810

pony-bmc-2-1575904103.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2024 - 03:23 PM.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:24 PM

I've been there a few times.

Is this just a general info piece? Odd to see a random news article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 05 February 2024 - 03:29 PM

I've been there a few times.

Is this just a general info piece? Odd to see a random news article.

Yes.

Funny enough, I had never heard of this before.   And did not know what "cenote" meant.

And then I found this:

Aaron, Jason and Morgan are brothers that have lived in Port McNeill for most of their lives. While enjoying an island made craft beer after an awesome day snowboarding at Mt Cain, the brothers tossed around the idea of building their own brewery in the hometown of Port McNeill…it was the first step in the making of Devils’ Bath Brewing Co.!

The Devil’s Bath is Canada’s one and only cenote (FYI: a cenote is a sinkhole caused by the collapse of limestone bedrock that exposes underground water). The cenote has a depth of 44 meters and a circumference of 359 meters.

https://devilsbathbr...about-us/#story

And then I added the Hyundai Pony for no reason at all.  Well, not no reason at all, but because I was using StreetView in Port McNeill and saw one.

When viewed from above, the Devil’s Bath appears as a large pit with water at the bottom. Underground, a juncture connects the Devil’s Bath with the Benson River through a series of tunnels. From its edge of steep limestone cliffs, you can gaze into its dark, glassy waters where all light seems to be swallowed up.

Devil’s Bath cenote is a 45 minute drive on logging road from Port McNeill. Put this on your bucket list!

And I was scanning Port McNeill becasue I saw Luther in that gravel pit sale piece.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 February 2024 - 03:31 PM.

#4 lanforod

lanforod
  • 12,132 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 February 2024 - 04:22 PM

Swimming in a cenote is the thing to do in the Mexican Mayan Riviera. Do it!

• AllseeingEye, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#5 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 05 February 2024 - 04:31 PM

Yup we've swam both Cedral and Chaak Tun near Playa del Carmen - definitely a highlight of any trip to Quintana Roo; I'd post pics next month but we won't be moving off or away from the beach for a couple of weeks :)

• Victoria Watcher likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users