The Hot Dog Guy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 02:47 PM

Had nver heard of these guys unitl Mrs ASE asked me today to stop by and grab two Dole Whip Cups - whatever the hell those were. Turns out they are these semi-frozen desserts that look like slushies. Apprently they taste great because she's hooked.

Had to go to London Drugs anyway so no problems says me. And.....wow. Standing and then sitting in a forty minute lineup to get her stuff I noticed a scrumptious sounding farmer brekkie wrap on the menu which sounded pretty good. It wasn't. It was GREAT. Probably the best breakfast wrap I've ever had at least in Victoria. From a non-descript "greasy spoon" kiosk. In a mall well known for being "underutilized" shall we say. But not these guys - the lineup was crazy stupid and never ending from before I got there until after I left. 

Don't know anything about them or whether this is the only outlet in the region but if you're in the neighborhood all the thumb's up in the world for that wrap and from the way the various dogs were flying out of that place I'm guessing they're pretty good too:

https://thehotdogguy.ca/

Edited by AllseeingEye, 29 March 2024 - 02:48 PM.

• max.bravo likes this

#2 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,814 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 03:10 PM

Oh great, now I am hungry! 

• AllseeingEye likes this

#3 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 09:32 PM

He's getting really popular, I may even break my Tillicum Mall boycott to try it out.

Dole Whip, for the longest time, was available at Disney properties and the Dole plantation on Oahu and that was it.  Now, Sysco distributes the mix and anyone can make it in a soft serve machine.  Fish on Fifth has had it for a long time, great as a 'twist' with vanilla.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#4 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 10:42 PM

There were three of them working the kiosk today, guessing the oldest guy is the owner/manager, and two younger fellas all of whom were literally run off their feet for the almost one hour I was there. They went non-stop only taking time out to duck inside the supply area in the rear to slug bat a few gulps of bottled water and then they were right back at it. They literally could not keep up even with all of them going flat out.

Clearly the word is out on these guys. I'm not really a hot dog guy but I'm tempted to try one whenever I'm there next. One guy walked by me with the chili cheese dog and a bunch of us were literally drooling like idiots because it smelled so good. Also AFAIK there aren't too many places in Victoria where you can get a Coney Island steamer (dog) but these guys sell 'em. 

• Matt R. likes this

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 29 March 2024 - 11:19 PM

Don Dobbie is his name,

A good dog is hard to beat! I admit, I had more than the occasional pizza dog from orange Julius when I lived in that hood.

They do catering as well and can “sustain” 120 dogs an hour. Lol

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,595 posts

Posted 30 March 2024 - 05:56 AM

That’s great, ASE, I’ll give it a try today. We’re spending some time with a nephew and that’ll be just the place to visit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,152 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:30 AM

Had a GREAT hot dog here. Jeremy, one of the potential new owners, spent some quality time with us explaining some of the menu items. Quite the varied selection.

Look for yourself.

HDG.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,595 posts

Posted 15 April 2024 - 07:58 AM

I had the Dole soft serve recently. Quite good! I like this place.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:38 PM

Shopping trip to Victoria tomorrow, think I’ll get a dog for lunch!
  • Mike K. and AllseeingEye like this

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,070 posts

Posted 18 April 2024 - 06:14 PM

Pizza dog was great. Rings were ok, pretty generic frozen product. 8/10 would return.IMG_6036.jpeg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users