Photo

Swans | Victoria | Pandora Ave. at Store St.

• Please log in to reply
197 replies to this topic

#21 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 02:33 PM

Swans is over crowded with horrible service and ridiculous prices. I'll outright go home if that's the only option friends are willing to do. Even when its not crowded there always seem to be about half as many staff putting in half the care as needed. I wouldn't mind if the place was cheap, but when you charge such prices I expect at least service on par with a cheap sketchy chinatown lunch place, swans doesn't even live up to that.

Last time I was there was a few months go. They took 20 min to ask us our drink orders when we sat down. inside was mildly full but we were in the sun-room and it was about half full. Other people sat down about 20 min after us and they were served before us. They got their drinks fairly quickly but ours took another good 10 min. When the over-priced food came the server grumpily demanded help with the plates and we didn't see her again for another good 20-30 min. Eventually I had to up to the bar and ask for a glass of water. We wanted the bill and even after she walked past us twice with us all giving her the 'hey, customer needs something' look she ignored us. I had to go up tot he bar, who rudely told me that if I want my bill I have to ask my server, so i wandered around the bar and finally found my server chatting to another for a while untill she let me politely ask for my bill.

This is of course a one off experiance, and I was told she was a famously bad waitress, but every experiance there has been something along those lines.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#22 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 16 April 2007 - 04:19 PM

I think the staff at Swans get some kind of meal discounts. Most women won't eat very much in front of a man. It's a good sign that they are not the kind of women who like men. I'm not talking about sexuality. Some women just like men and understand them better. These are the kinds that can establish friendships with men without the usual tensions - mostly caused by men being jerks or being high pressure on women. Strong women are not bothered by men being men. Men being jerks of course bothers them.

I think it would take a pretty strong woman to eat fries and gravy or a messy hamburger or anything like that in front of a man she liked. Women have it much tougher these days and the pressures on their appearance, clothes, fitness -- way more then men. No woman is going to eat like that all the time, unless they are blessed with the genes we all would die for.

I only meant to say the waitress was in a comfort zone with that customer if she let him see that. Sorry to creep anyone out. There's no 12 step that will help internet pop psychology addiction either.

#23 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:12 AM

Rorschach you need to come to our next dinner get together. I bet you are a character and a half.

Maybe we can have it at Swans.

:lol:
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#24 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 21 April 2007 - 08:21 AM

A character is ALL I am. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I noticed that Swans no longer has "no cover" entertainment. When did the $5 minimum food and drink order per person go into effect and why?

I guess they are just capitolizing on the popularity of the place and keeping the lurkers out.

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:15 AM

Swans quality flies with satisified patrons
Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Re: "Mediocre fare, service at Swans ruffles feathers," April 12.

The restaurant review ends with the line "I can guess at who they are trying to keep out, but who do they want to come back?"

Here is, without guessing, one answer.

My wife, an incredible cook, our daughter clearly going in the same direction, my grandson, lover of all things well prepared, we are the answer to the concluding question. Three generations at one table, talking, eating and laughing.

In the past 15 years we have at least once a month had lunch or dinner and periodically breakfast at Swans.

With family members who know the sevice industry from first-hand experience and settle for no less than well prepared food, and by looking around at all the familiar faces and smiling tourist faces any time we are at Swans, we are the ones who come back and back and back.

I think it was maybe four years ago we were missing at our table a fork. Here is a suggestion: Rather than wait for someone to do it for you, take four seconds, lean over to a vacant table and take one.

With regards to the menu that was face down: Turn it over.

That's what our grandson did. He will be five soon.

Jim Buchan,

Victoria.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2007

------

Gosh, now I feel so guilty for spending a half day's wage in a pub and expecting adequate service. I suppose maybe if they're busy I should go back and wash some dishes for them too.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:31 AM

I'm hard pressed to believe that this individual's family is as gifted in the culinary arts as he leads us to believe.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 homebrewer

homebrewer
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:30 PM

And to think that all this time women have been spending precious time and money on their appearance... hair, makeup, fitness etc to gain the attention of the opposite sex and appear sexy in their eyes. When all along all we've needed to do is pound down a few beers with our french fries to get the attention we want!

The Miss America pageant should be told of this...

I'm all in favour of females who are down to earth. Good looks only last so long... well except in my case <running hands through where my hair once was>
I understand the desire to be superficial when in school to be in the 'cool crowd', but after that there is no excuse in my humble opinion. So bring on the fries and beer :)
I have a beer loving friend who recently was transplanted to the island, and insisted we stop by Swans for at least a beer. After trying to convince him of my hesitation, we went and had a great time and great service by a brand new, polite, efficient blonde. Maybe that article did hold some weight and we're in line for a change.
Sounds like I'll have to do some more umm investigative research to keep the thread alive...

Although I just stocked up today with 20L of homemade hard cider, and 20L of Phillips' Double Chocolate Porter also on tap at home, so I probably won't be over there for a little bit :razz:

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:51 AM

Times Colonist:

Legacy Ale, a hearty beer made in honour of the late Michael Williams -- the Victoria philanthropist, downtown property owner and founder of Swans Hotel and Brewpub -- won a Gold Medal this fall at the Canadian Brewing Awards. Swans also topped the podium with its Oatmeal Stout and took home a silver for its Scotch Ale. The triple-medal win for brewmaster Andrew Tessier was the most for a Victoria microbrewery.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#29 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 04:32 PM

They have a new executive chef, pub manager, and new staff ... still the same art, and menu. Still the same brewer, but a few new brews. I had an awesome lunch there, the special was delicious and cost about $8.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Check out Swans here:

http://ratemyemploye....aspx?l=en&i=33

Monkey Tree and Earls also worth a laugh...

#31 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Check out Swans here:

http://ratemyemploye....aspx?l=en&i=33

Monkey Tree and Earls also worth a laugh...

UVic...an equal opportunity employer:)

#32 weirdie

weirdie
  • 497 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 07:56 AM

http://www.yelp.ca/b...ew-pub-victoria

You can see from the more recent reviews (other than one from a unsuspecting tourist from Georgia), the service and quality of food has gone way downhill.

#33 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

It's a real shame about that pub. The saying goes, "A fish rots from the head down". I hope one day things will radically improve. Maybe it has something to do with it being run by UVic, a bureaucracy with no experience and little interest in the service industry.

I remember the 1993 case of the Swan's employee (and mother of two) who was falsely convicted and sentenced to jail for stealing the pub's night deposit. A corrupt Brink's guard was later suspected but they couldn't pin it on him. The Province eventually wrote the poor woman a cheque for $100,000 for false conviction but by then the damage was done.

#34 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Just to clarify, Swans is not run by UVic. It is a private, arms length company. UVic's power over Swans is mostly limited to accepting the revenue stream Swans generates.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

^Interesting. So let me throw out a crazy hypothetical. Let's say the UVic folk became dissatisfied at the upper-level management of their property. What avenues of remedy do they have? Is there a Board or governor that ensures the stable management of Williams' property? I can't believe the university wouldn't want to ensure total staff and public satisfaction with such a high-profile lucrative pub.

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:33 PM

Michael Williams' will dictated many of the terms under which Swans is run. Including guaranteeing the position of his choice of CEO. What UVic does once the terms of the will run their course is another story. Yes there is a board up at UVic that receives reports from Swans. But no, they do not have the kind of control you are suggesting. In this case arms length really does mean arms length. Even their uses of the revenue stream was, in part, decided by his wishes. The Legacy Gallery for instance was a wish of Mr Williams. He also desired that revenue generated by the property support Marine Sciences and Fine Arts up at UVic as well as maintaining his art collection.

#37 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:45 PM

I remember reading that Williams was so dedicated and trusting of his CEO he offered the CEO's daughter free education if she went into the management business. She turned him down and went into some other career.

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:38 PM

Sounds like the kind of thing he would do.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

^Interesting. So let me throw out a crazy hypothetical. Let's say the UVic folk became dissatisfied at the upper-level management of their property. What avenues of remedy do they have? Is there a Board or governor that ensures the stable management of Williams' property? I can't believe the university wouldn't want to ensure total staff and public satisfaction with such a high-profile lucrative pub.

Brought to my attention by a person in the industry, I scooped it right off Craigslist, so it looks legit, but it won't stay up long...

All Swans Hotel and Pub employees current and past (6months) local 40 has 3 available times for our vote in the new year. Remember to keep all conversations away from all management as they can and will fire anyone who talks about a Union.
Any info can be found on this site,
http://uniteherelocal40.org/
If you are tired of Eddy sucking off the swans tit for his rAetirement = unite
If you are tired of Fred's incompetence and arrogance = unite
If you are tired of Janina irrational hiring and firing methods = unite
If you are tired of Angela's front desk capabilities = unite
If you are tired of Fred scheduling fups = unite
If you are tired of Fred hiring outside instead of internal promotion = unite
If you are tired of management that is run by accountants = unite
local 40 offers good wages, good health care and a clear understanding of our roles as Swans employees. JOB security!
We will have a collective agreement that must followed by the managers.
Unite fellow workers, Unite with local 40 and have a say.
Reply to this by email for updates and vote location.

* Compensation: great wages, no Fred BS
* Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
* Please, no phone calls about this job!
* Please do not contact job poster about other services, products or commercial interests.

PostingID: 1511451426

#40 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

The comedy continues: http://ratemyemploye...empID=3511&l=en

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users