Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5673 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1981 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think it's a more than a little poor in that it does not name ANY of the Mayors or municipalities that have been "working together" and "having positive discussions".

And I'm sure the second sentence there does not sit well with Frank and Dean.  It's more than a bit of a drive-by swipe.

I'm surprised that Colwood has two people paid to do communications but the release includes names of mayors Desjardins, Hamilton and Young.

Mayor Leonard might be in for some swiping for his rather spotty attendance at CRD sewage committee meetings.

Attached Images

• leonard attendance.jpg

:)

#1982 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I'm surprised that Colwood has two people paid to do communications but the release includes names of mayors Desjardins, Hamilton and Young.

Mayor Leonard might be in for some swiping for his rather spotty attendance at CRD sewage committee meetings.

Ah, sorry, now I see, don't know how I only read half of it.   But somewhere in the release it needs to say exactly who is working together.   Who's missing?  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1983 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Ah, sorry, now I see, don't know how I only read half of it.   But somewhere in the release it needs to say exactly who is working together.   Who's missing?  

View Royal and its Mayor Graham Hill are missing. Could be that View Royal has decided to go with CRD plan as long as nobody thinks about putting a sewage plant in View Royal - like at Thetis Cove or near View Royal up at 1947 Burnside Road West. The renovated and enlarged Craigflower Pump Station (only part of CRD sewage plan that might be actually completed) is just inside View Royal but not sure how that would influence View Royal's position.

By the way, Richard Atwell of The RITE Plan is right now setting up his video webstreaming camera to try to catch some of Colwood's sewage treatment event tonight, starting at about 6:30pm: http://www.ustream.t...corded/49690589

#1984 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

"West shore" comprises of just those four in this context, having lumped Esquimalt as part of the group.

It's a very bizarre press release that appears to want to stick it to the CRD rather than say anything of substance.

God do we ever need amalgamation...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1985 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

This.

• tedward likes this

#1986 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

Not this.

I want to live in a community that gets things done, not one that just talks about it.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1987 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Does Metchosin not have any sewers?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1988 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

I don't believe so, it is all septic fields at least for the most of it.

#1989 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

Metchosin isn't part of CRD's core area sanitary sewage system so likely there is combination of septic tanks/fields for the houses and for institutions like Pearson College and William Head Penitentiary, small onsite sewage treatment plants with drainage fields and sludge pickup.

Attached Images

• current CRD sewage system map.jpg

#1990 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Ooooh, that's a good map, thanks.

#1991 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

William Head Pen has a very large treamtent plant with a skimmer. they are self sufficent there.Some of the residents at the institution work at the treatment plant then later on some of them work for sewage treatment facilities etc on teh outside. the training in the pen is first class.

Pearson colleege has air digesters onsite

I have worked at both sites during schedule maintenance

Edited by History Buff, 07 July 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#1992 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Not this.

I want to live in a community that gets things done, not one that just talks about it.

LRT, commuter rail, one failed real estate project after another, an overpass that remains half finished, yeah you guys sure get the big things done alright ;)

When Langford et al get a sewage treatment project built I'll buy you a beer. Until then you're no more or no less in the twilight zone than the rest of us.
  • tedward likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1993 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:48 AM

Wilson Foods and Coldstar are now one.

I am not sure who bought whom but was thinking that it was possible that  Wilsons Foods bought Coldstar with the $17 million the CRD gave them for their property on Viewfield rd

• Matt R. likes this

#1994 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Two podcasts recorded by Richard Atwell (with his opinion) and posted to The RITE Plan facebook page:

- Brownoff on CFAX

Judy "throw good money after bad" Brownoff would love for Esquimalt residents to come to their senses and take her bribe:

http://theriteplan.c...dy_Brownoff.m4a

What she hasn't told them that Esquimalt residents would have to spend $8.6 of it on barging.

At 2m47s Brownoff believe that Polak says that the existing agreement can't be opened up. There is no such thing stated in the letter. In fact, the minister lays out the steps necessary to amend the plan.

Brownoff's logic that a septic tank needs a backup which makes it expensive while the CRD can use the ocean for a backup is erroneous yet she's still worried about fine for discharging untreated sewage. How do you reconcile that?

Finally, the idea that changes to the project can't be accomplished faster than 7 years that it took Brownoff, could only come from Brownoff who is desperate to defend her record in an election year.

For the record, it's a failed project but it can be repaired but not with people like Brownoff at the helm of the S.S. Sewage Debacle.

-------------

- Dejardins on CFAX

Podcast of the Mayor of Esquimalt Barb Desjardins who was the guest of Terry Moore of CFAX 1070 on 7 July  show:

http://theriteplan.c..._Desjardins.m4a

Terry opens the show reading from the misleading TC article about the Minister's letter.

----------------

#1995 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

LRT, commuter rail, one failed real estate project after another, an overpass that remains half finished, yeah you guys sure get the big things done alright ;)

When Langford et al get a sewage treatment project built I'll buy you a beer. Until then you're no more or no less in the twilight zone than the rest of us.

Wow, you're in a testy mood today, maybe you should get a dog to calm you down. :wave:

• Mike K. likes this

#1996 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:13 PM

Technically that was written yesterday :)

But yeah, I get your point...  :redface:

Know it all.

#1997 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

CRD Board meeting also brings out Mr Floatie James Skwarok and his helper Diane White. Will be interesting to see if Skwarok dons his Mr Floatie outfit.

Click here to see today's agendas and for webcam link that should be opening at about 9am (and then closing for the incamera parts)

Also two big op-eds in today's T-C:

Barb Desjardins: We all need to work constructively

Lisa Helps: There’s no time to waste on wastewater plan

#1998 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 05:48 AM

Esquimalt residents get pitch in the mail to reconsider sewage plant

BILL CLEVERLEY

TIMES COLONIST 
JULY 9, 2014

The Capital Regional District will reach out directly to Esquimalt residents with a mail-out outlining its $19-million offer to the township to reconsider its refusal to locate a regional sewage treatment plant at McLoughlin Point. The revised amenity package would essentially cover Esquimalt property owners’ share of building sewage treatment. That means Esquimalt residents would have to pay only the operating costs of a new plant, estimated at about $125 a year for the average homeowner.

Click here to read more

And letter in today's T-C Esquimalt should support sewage plant by Allan Crow (Georgia Strait Alliance) whose scientistic video presented at a CRD sewage committee meeting last year somehow got hacked with mysterious captions that provided fact-checking to his inaccurate commentary.

Attached Images

• crows hacked video_2.jpg

#1999 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,897 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 06:19 AM

Message to CRD directors: Stop using my tax dollars to bribe one municipality at a cost to others in the region. :mad:

• Bingo and tedward like this

#2000 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:27 PM

CRD to consider a new sewage idea

John Spurr
CFAX
July 09, 2014

Excerpt:
A meeting of the CRD's Core Area Liquid Waste Management Committee today (Wednesday) saw a new motion put forth by Colwood Mayor Carol Hamilton. The motion, to be considered at the next meeting, would allow different municipalities to use a portion of a $400,000 pool to research their own sewage treatment solutions.

Read more here: http://www.cfax1070.com/News/Top-Stories/CRD-to-consider-a-new-sewage-idea

----------------------

Frank Stanford's comment Friday July 11

July 11, 2014 6:30 AM from Frank Stanford

Excerpt:

The Region's direct appeal to Esquimalt taxpayers might find clear support, but even that won't persuade opponents who will challenge the legality of the process. 

Read more here: http://www.cfax1070.com/Shows/blog/July-2014/Frank-Stanford-s-comment-Friday-July-11-14

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users