• Please log in to reply
25965 replies to this topic

#20021 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 18 October 2020 - 11:45 AM

Did I miss what's happening at 844 Johnson?  

There's temporary fencing up blocking off the front entrance and what looks to be plywood up on the inside over the doors and window.  It looks like it might just be an awning replacement as it's been removed.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#20022 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 01:23 PM

There was a Very peaceful and respectful gathering of folks to protest the 24/7 camping in parks/Beacon Hill Park today at the legislature.

Nice to see some people brave enough to move out of the shadows and get their voice.
  • Nparker, sebberry, mbjj and 2 others like this

#20023 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 03:20 PM

There was a Very peaceful and respectful gathering of folks to protest the 24/7 camping in parks/Beacon Hill Park today at the legislature....

I would imagine they have been labelled haters and properly condemned on social media by now.

• rmpeers and Barrrister like this

#20024 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 18 October 2020 - 10:40 PM

Did I miss what's happening at 844 Johnson?

There's temporary fencing up blocking off the front entrance and what looks to be plywood up on the inside over the doors and window. It looks like it might just be an awning replacement as it's been removed.

Yah, there's been incremental work on the exterior of the building since sometime last year I think. Latest is a new canopy and landscape changes according to VicMap.
  • sebberry likes this

#20025 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 07:12 AM

Because a tired-looking canopy and dated landscaping are the most significant issues at 844 Johnson.

• sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#20026 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:16 AM

There was a Very peaceful and respectful gathering of folks to protest the 24/7 camping in parks/Beacon Hill Park today at the legislature.

Nice to see some people brave enough to move out of the shadows and get their voice.

More need to speak up.  What's happening isn't working, its neglect - and it needs to be called out as much.  It was a respectful and peaceful rally.  A bit muted by COVID, weather and the short notice on which it was planned.  It did get a little bit of coverage on CHEK - but nothing extensive.  It feels like until the election is done, any progress on the issue will be painfully slow.

#20027 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 11:19 AM

It feels like until the election is done, any progress on the issue will be painfully slow.

Sadly, after the election is done progress probably won't be any faster.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#20028 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:30 PM

Just walked through the park for the first time since Thursday. Many more tents since a few days ago. Also, mega structures are popping up and many tents with piles of garbage outside. I was surprised to see an open view chop shop still operating in broad day light right across from the cricket field. Last time I was there, a few months ago, that chop shop was already there, and there was a police van with a few police officers with their backs turned away from the chop shop. Instead they were watching the cricket match. I’m shocked that it’s still there....

#20029 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 05:50 PM

You're not really shocked are you? I mean "survival crimes" aren't really crimes are they?

• A Girl is No one likes this

#20030 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,031 posts

Posted 19 October 2020 - 06:04 PM

moderators:

shouldn’t watching cricket games be in the crime thread?

#20031 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 20 October 2020 - 10:03 PM

up to 6 tents now in oaklands...

#20032 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 05:22 AM

A group in Maple Ridge says it is stepping in to push homeless people struggling with addiction and/or mental health issues out of what it considers gaps in legislation and policing.

Jamie Seip, an organizer of Clean up Maple Ridge, claims the group has driven, flown or ferried hundreds of such people from the streets of Maple Ridge back to the towns and cities they came from. He said the group is meeting the needs of residents fed up with socially unacceptable behaviour because police and government aren’t.

https://www.timescol...ople-1.24224133

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2020 - 05:23 AM.

#20033 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 06:56 AM

Good for them! Send 'em back where they came from! Uh...hey, wait a minute.

#20034 kitty surprise

kitty surprise
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:01 AM

Wow, I didn't know regular citizens could do this?
Is this a form of citizen vigilantism?
I assume they are relocating people on their own dime?
Are they organizing fundraisers to pay for relocations?
How are they confronting people, are they using force?
Have there been any violent confrontations?

As un-PC as this may sound, would Victoria benefit from adopting this approach? Government is doing nothing.

Edit: after reading the article again, I found some answers to my questions ... sigh getting old sucks

Edited by kitty surprise, 21 October 2020 - 09:19 AM.

• GaryRanson and Victoria Watcher like this

#20035 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:03 AM

^ some of which are actually answered in the linked article.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#20036 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:05 AM

I agree something needs to be done. Hopefully something that takes onto account both the plight of users and business owners.

how are we doing almost 14 years later?  was the "something" ever done?

• Rob Randall likes this

#20037 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:28 AM

...the group has driven, flown or ferried hundreds of such people from the streets of Maple Ridge back to the towns and cities they came from.

I admit I'm still wrestling with the prevailing premise that people in difficulty are mostly born-and-raised locals but also mostly from some other place.

If the governments, politicians, academics, support services, news media, etc. could get on the same page about this longstanding contradiction then it might be less confusing for everyone.

The impression I'm getting is this: people are people and thus the issues are everywhere. Any model of support (or lack thereof) that introduces additional challenges and complexities by creating artificial concentrations in this place or that place is obviously inherently flawed.

If you're in difficulties and you need help, then you need help where you are. The relocation aspect shouldn't be such a huge piece of this narrative, and yet it continues to be.

• Nparker and Awaiting Juno like this

#20038 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,031 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:32 AM

i believe it's logical to assume some people might have better prospects for more family help back where they came from.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 October 2020 - 09:32 AM.

#20039 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 09:47 AM

For sure. For many people an arbitrary change of scenery would be very counterproductive. For many other people an arbitrary change of scenery would be a non sequitur: an irrelevant new wrinkle or new challenge that they just don't need. It would be neither necessary nor helpful to relocate from site A to site B.

All of this should be especially obvious when the relocation is merely from one municipality to another within the same city.

And listen, I understand that the moving around isn't just the system's fault. We all know that people can get fed up and want to push problems away. We all know that many people (especially politicians) have a much higher tolerance for issues in an urban context than in a suburban or small town context. Sooke politicians cry for help, whereas CoV politicians say "bring it on."

Times-Colonist
March 26, 2001

West Coast cities attract street kids from far and wide: Study finds one-third of homeless in Victoria came from outside B.C.

The vast majority of kids living on Vancouver streets are from outside British Columbia, often having moved to escape family situations where they felt abused, neglected or misunderstood, suggests a report by the McCreary Centre Society.

Some 61 per cent of street kids in Vancouver and 33 per cent of those in Victoria who completed a survey last year were from other provinces, says the report titled No Place to Call Home, which is to be released today.

There is also a steady stream of adolescents from suburban and non-urban centres in B.C., who begin street life in their home communities on a part-time basis but later migrate to the larger cities where they become more entrenched, more at risk and harder to reach. Only 24 per cent of those surveyed said they were originally from Vancouver.

The difference between the urban and non-urban communities is significant to those who are trying to help these vulnerable young people, says Dr. Roger Tonkin, the centre's executive director and a leading B.C. authority on adolescent behaviour.

"The kids in smaller communities are still connected to school, family and agencies," he said in an interview.

Edited by aastra, 21 October 2020 - 09:52 AM.

#20040 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 12:59 PM

An account from a Toronto homeless community care worker... I’m sure it’s exactly the same here. The story is the same we have heard so many times over the years...

“ He said it’s like dealing with six-year-olds who don’t have to face any consequences for their actions or behaviour.”

https://torontosun.c...e-of-dependency
  • Nparker, SimonH, Midnightly and 1 other like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users