Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
27097 replies to this topic

#25901 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:26 AM

We won't know the answer to this question until after the next provincial and federal elections.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#25902 Beacon

Beacon
  • 465 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 03:09 PM

We won't know the answer to this question until after the next provincial and federal elections.

and that result is turning into something really really interesting lately.  New poll numbers are out:

https://twitter.com/...5918948/photo/1

British Columbia Provincial Polling:

NDP: 38% (-10)

CON: 34% (+32)

BCU: 16% (-18)

GRN: 11% (-4)

Others: 2%

Liaison Strategies / April 3, 2024 / n=1105 / MOE 2.9% / IVR (% Change With 2020 Election) Check out BC model details from

here: http://338canada.com/bc

• Nparker likes this

#25903 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 01:00 AM

Just steps away on Victoria Crescent on Friday, crews were taking down awnings on buildings to reduce loitering and the growing rash of fires being set beneath them.

“We are cutting the awning because people are basically making fire underneath, so for safety issues we have to remove,” said contractor Omar Barrintos.

Victoria Crescent business owner Dave Lawrence said it’s a feature on his barbershop that he will miss, but that the fires have been “frightening.”

“That is one of my greatest fears that I have, is the amount of fires that they have right at my door,” said Lawrence, owner of That 50’s Barber Shop.

https://www.cheknews...-month-1199284/

#25904 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:37 AM

They have to control the climate guys! They don’t have time for these petty problems….

#25905 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:43 AM

Nanaimo is already feeling the effects of climate change. Mean annual temperatures have risen alongside an increase in the number of extreme weather events, and these are having serious consequences for our communities. As one example, the Nanaimo Lakes Fire (August 2018) burned more than 450 hectares, while a recent windstorm (December 2018) left over 150,000 people on Vancouver Island without power. The magnitude and seriousness of these climate-related events, as well as overall changes in climate, are projected to increase over time. By 2050, Nanaimo is projected to experience:
> An overall increase in temperatures across all seasons, which will have impacts on natural ecosystems, human health, the City’s provision of services, and economic development;
> More days of rainfall in every season except summer, and increased precipitation on rainy days, causing challenges for Nanaimo’s stormwater system and leading to local flooding;
> An increase in the frequency and severity of extreme weather events, including wildfires and
associated wildfire smoke, which will compound with changing conditions; and
> Growing challenges from sea level rise, including coastal flooding and damage to public and
private buildings and infrastructure, along with increased shoreline erosion.
Fortunately, many efforts that have already been completed or are underway in the areas of sustainability action, infrastructure design, asset management and emergency management already contribute to building Nanaimo’s resilience (e.g. the Community Sustainability Action Plan, Urban Forest Master Plan, and Water Supply Strategic Plan).

https://www.nanaimo....tegy-(2020).pdf

#25906 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:45 AM

The Covenant of Mayors gives them top grades too. Nanaimo is doing awesome! https://www.globalco...canada/nanaimo/

#25907 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:47 AM

The amount of BS spewd daily propping up the fear in the climate "crisis" narrative could be used to fertilize every desert on earth into productive soil.
  • LJ and dasmo like this

#25908 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:48 AM

More days of rainfall in every season except summer, and increased precipitation on rainy days, causing challenges for Nanaimo’s stormwater system and leading to local flooding

I don't even think the climate nuts even agree with this.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2024 - 06:48 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#25909 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:16 AM

This is a lie.

“Growing challenges from sea level rise, including coastal flooding and damage to public and private buildings and infrastructure, along with increased shoreline erosion.”

By the data
Bamfield’s sea level trend is lowering by .66mm a year.
On the other side of Nanaimo
Port Atkinson sea level trend is rising by .93mm a year.

If you click on the “linear tend” you also see that the rate has been consistent since 1910.
https://tidesandcurr...a.gov/sltrends/

#25910 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:18 AM

In April 2019, recognizing the global concern raised by the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to limit global warming to 1.5°C, Nanaimo's City Council declared a Climate Emergency and set new community-wide emission reduction targets be set to between 50% and 58% below 2010 levels by 2030, and between 94% and 107% below 2010 levels by 2050.

Supporting this further, Council adopted the Doughnut Economics framework; a guiding model designed "to build a city and community that operates within the planetary boundaries."

Currently the City is reviewing its current Climate action policies and will be making further updates through the Reimagine Nanaimo process.
https://www.nanaimo..../climate-action

#25911 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:20 AM

Can’t fix the crime but they can control the global temperature to within 1.5 degrees.

It’s insanity…
  • max.bravo likes this

#25912 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:24 AM

I am relieved to know that Duncan doesn't intend to operate outside of planetary boundaries. I'm not sure Duncan culture needs to spread to Mars.
  • max.bravo likes this

#25913 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:28 AM

Ya… it’s too bad the insanity is costing us dearly with no real gain.
We need a global change of government and we need to sue the UN and WEF out of existence.

The good thing is that is infinitely more possible than these clowns controlling the global temperature to within 1.5 degrees….
  • Nparker and LJ like this

#25914 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:20 AM

Threatened on Douglas, but what is being done?

I guess we are all expected to just live with the criminal behaviour we either witness, or are a victim of on many ­downtown streets in many ­communities on Vancouver Island and elsewhere in B.C.

I crossed the street from the ­Sandman Hotel a few weeks back and a heavy set, dishevelled man in his 20s began ­yelling at me. He repeatedly yelled, “I’m gonna kill you,” as he followed me north up Douglas Street before he walked into traffic and crossed the street to what looked like a homeless residence.

I am a 72-year-old, former Canadian soldier. Apparently he was angry with the walking stick I have been using for 10 years or so.

I just don’t understand how there seems to be no solutions from government to ensure people can walk downtown streets without being accosted.

Many businesses and residents are affected in many communities’ downtown cores. It is outrageous to see no action taken.

Mike Oliver

Nanaimo

https://www.timescol...-street-8596169

#25915 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 04:54 AM

Can’t he see the Nanaimo political class is doing great. They are even stopping the sea from rising. His petty problems are nothing compared to that!
  • Nparker likes this

#25916 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:01 AM

IMG_2698.jpeg

Campaigners urge Victoria for homelessness action, criticize item seizures

Sanctioned, smaller encampments among advocates’ requested to council

https://www.vicnews....eizures-7343674

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 April 2024 - 11:02 AM.

#25917 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,889 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

Let's try more displacement rather than less.

• max.bravo likes this

#25918 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 16,923 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 12:56 PM

Just declare crown land open to all. Like it used to be. Gotta defend it yourself though.
  • max.bravo likes this

#25919 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 57,753 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 04:13 AM

Criminals are moving into supportive housing facilities in Victoria specifically to prey on vulnerable people, says the city’s police chief.

“What happens is they pose as people experiencing homelessness,” Del Manak told members of the Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday, a day after police responded to the seventh stabbing in the city in the past six weeks.

“They embed themselves in the very facilities where people are vulnerable and marginalized. And then they’re able to exploit them, extort them out of their suites,” he said.

“It’s only four or five months later when there’s a stabbing in the stairwell of a supportive housing location that we find out that this individual is actually a criminal and they actually have a place [elsewhere].”

Manak made the comments as part of a panel discussion on public safety and how it relates to housing, mental health and policing.

He did not specify how frequently infiltration of supportive housing facilities occurs, saying only that “most” sites have embedded criminals or their associates.

“We don’t hear about it till somebody gets stabbed or they get extorted,” he said to the Times Colonist.

“Staff at the supportive housing locations are amazing, they do a great job,” Manak said. “But I’m just telling you, the criminal element is smart and they know how to work their way through to be able to carry on with their criminality.”

Those living in supportive housing don’t speak openly about it due to fears of retribution, he said.

https://www.timescol...d-chief-8611190

#25920 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 86,583 posts

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

I mean this has been going on for years. We’ve heard this story from officialdom before.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users