Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
26108 replies to this topic

#25981 LJ

LJ
  • 12,812 posts

Posted 29 April 2024 - 07:27 PM

Good article.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25982 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:20 AM

‘Some may go days without water’: No working tap at Kelowna’s Tent City

The water tap has been broken and turned off for seven months

Mead said that rather than waiting for a water delivery, people are encouraged to leave the encampment each day to access services, like food and water from places like Metro Community, which is approximately one kilometer away.

However, the simple task of getting out of bed and leaving for the day can be challenging for many people living at Tent City said Chartrand. She said that the majority of the people living at Tent City struggle with mental illness, including depression which makes it difficult for them to get up and access the resources that are available. Additionally, many people have physical and mental disabilities like traumatic brain injuries or illnesses that make it challenging or for them to leave the encampment in search of food and water, said Chartrand. Many of her neighbours are physically not able to walk, ride a bike, or wheel themselves in a wheelchair, to the outreach organizations due to injuries, paralysis, infections and chronic pain.

Mead also said that people who are experiencing homelessness are encouraged to stay at the shelters in order to access additional services and supports.

Despite the available beds, many people living in Tent City have tried to live at shelters in the past and found that it was not the right fit for them at this period of their lives.

“I’m almost 50 years old now, and I don’t want to live by their rules,” said Anthony Yungen, a former welding inspector who has been living at Tent City for the past year. “I’m not a child.”

Many people, like Yungen, find it difficult to live in shelters because of the strict rules, like curfews, that are in place to keep people safe. Other people living in Tent City say they have a difficult time coexisting with neighbours in tight quarters as a result of their own personalities and mental illness. Most of the people living at Tent City have lived in shelters at least for some time, but have either been asked to leave or made the decision to move out because it was not the right environment for them during this period in their lives.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2024 - 12:20 AM.

#25983 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 05:10 AM

Remind me again how closing down mental health facilities was going to make everything better?
  • Beacon likes this

#25984 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 05:13 AM

The theory behind that was that integrating the mentally ill into wider society, to live their lives similar to the non-mentally ill, was a positive step for them, for their autonomy, and for their dignity etc.

It didn't quite consider that many of them can't properly take care of themselves and fall victim often to predators and substance abuse.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2024 - 05:25 AM.

#25985 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 05:21 AM

As usual, the so-called experts were fundamentally and tragically wrong.
  • phx and Victoria Watcher like this

#25986 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:03 AM

However, the simple task of getting out of bed and leaving for the day can be challenging for many people living at Tent City said Chartrand

I think we all know the solution here, why would anyone think people in this state could care for themselves???

#25987 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:07 AM

Because even the mentally ill can “self-declare” their fitness and we let them live with that decision.

#25988 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:08 AM

I'll sum this up with beggar, meet chooser.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#25989 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:12 AM

This has always been my attitude towards the independent living units.

You should live in a shelter until you prove you can live in a small apartment. And you cannot live in your own unit if you are using drugs daily.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2024 - 06:12 AM.

• Beacon likes this

#25990 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 06:12 AM

Because even the mentally ill can “self-declare” their fitness and we let them live with that decision.

because it's the compassionate thing to do !  Just like the right to do drugs and self destruct, we'll even help you do it including the MAID option if the self destruct is not fast enough for your liking.

#25991 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,795 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:28 AM

All should be your right. Drug use and possession don’t need to be criminal. Using in public spaces does, trespassing does, theft, harassment, taking over public space, public Defecation etc etc does.
They let it all go. Harm transfer is what it is.
The reason to make possession a crime is to be able to get the people who do the above when you can’t catch them doing it.
They could make possession a crime in certain places perhaps?

Edited by dasmo, 02 May 2024 - 09:27 AM.

• Beacon likes this

#25992 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:30 AM

Bring back stigma! Reduce usage.
  • Nparker, Matt R. and Beacon like this

#25993 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:32 AM

Bring back stigma! Reduce usage.

Precisely. Treat it like those other deadly drugs - tobacco and alcohol.

#25994 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,795 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:51 AM

I will say that what they are doing is fantastic for my son. He is very much against using drugs. Best ad campaign ever is just going downtown.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#25995 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:59 AM

I will say that what they are doing is fantastic for my son. He is very much against using drugs. Best ad campaign ever is just going downtown.

So true, scared straight is still alive and well it seems. Problem is when they reach high school/junior high and think they have it all figured out and their friends are using drugs around them.

#25996 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:03 AM

And their teachers no longer advise abstinence, but safer use.
  • Nparker likes this

#25997 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:06 AM

And their teachers no longer advise abstinence, but safer use.

Use with a friend!  Do you get a referral bonus yet?

• Matt R. likes this

#25998 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,682 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:08 AM

Langley school district:

Try to avoid providing your teen with “fact sheets” from organizations with a biased agenda. Instead, use impartial literature, approved by youth addiction workers, to gather your facts.

https://www.sd35.bc....-illicit-drugs/

Think very carefully before rifling through your child’s journals, emails, etc., searching for clues of substance use. The potential gains, in most cases, are far outweighed by the potential damage it would do to your relationship with your teen.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 May 2024 - 08:10 AM.

#25999 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,094 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:09 AM

...Try to avoid providing your teen with “fact sheets” from organizations with a biased agenda. Instead, use impartial literature, approved by youth addiction workers, to gather your facts.

#clownworld - woke publications division  :whyme:

• Beacon likes this

#26000 Beacon

Beacon
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 08:11 AM

Langley school district:

Try to avoid providing your teen with “fact sheets” from organizations with a biased agenda. Instead, use impartial literature, approved by youth addiction workers, to gather your facts.

https://www.sd35.bc....-illicit-drugs/

Think very carefully before rifling through your child’s journals, emails, etc., searching for clues of substance use. The potential gains, in most cases, are far outweighed by the potential damage it would do to your relationship with your teen.

These are the groups publishing the "how to" use drugs and prosper literature I take it

• Daveyboy likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users