Photo

Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#14021 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

Tjv , I would’ also add that it’s very scary to picket or protest this lack of law abiding. The SJW activists will show up in large numbers and, at the very least, call you a hater, others will disseminate your picture on their Facebook page as an evil person, and I have seen the activists escalate up to threats, attempts at getting people fired from their job and assault. Most people don’t care enough to put themselves through this. That is exactly what the SJW (these include Helps, Isitt and Loveday) rely on.

Edited by A Girl is No one, 08 April 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#14022 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

I choose not to support any business that supports this state of lawlessness. They may feel good about themselves and shield themselves from the very small but very vocal SJW crowd but at the same time, they are putting the rest of the population (their clients included) at risk. To me this is cowardice and I do not support it.

#14023 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:47 AM

^I think that's true if there was a few people, but if there were 50 or 100 people protesting and organized it would be a different story.  As soon as there is a shove by a tent city person, call the cops and immediate arrest for assault

I do understand your point.  Fortunately I could care less what a homeless welfare bum thinks or says about me, I would probably laugh out loud

but in all seriousness if this doesn't get under control they could soon be on YOUR front lawn or the city property side of your property (yes its usually well past the back of the sidewalk) camping and the police will simply shrug their shoulders and say there is nothing we can do.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#14024 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:00 AM

I pretty much went through that with tent city. It’s a horror show I will never forget. The activists were calling up employers, or trying to kill any business that dared speak up about the troubles. Then the mayor would gleefully meet with those same activists and join them in calling us « haters ». In the meantime, we were sometimes followed home by tent city folks. Believe me it’s not a good feeling. Some have threatened to burn our building down knowing where we live. It’s more than just being called nasty words, those were real life dangers and the police could not have cared less.

#14025 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:07 AM

WOW!!!!!!, I didn't realize it was like that.  What has this world come to

#14026 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:44 AM

I would agree, you never know what state of mind these guys are in or are they high on something.

I am surprised a body like the Downtown Victoria Business Association doesn't have blanket direction for all members to the police that if they catch someone sleeping in a doorway that is trespassing and for that person to be arrested on the spot.  Everyone who sees what VHF saw should call the Victoria Police non emergency number.  imagine if they got 50 calls for every incident they wouldn't ignore it

if the CofV wants people from the suburbs to go downtown with lots of cash to spend, they better do a lot better job of making it an inviting place.  Very little of my money gets spent downtown anymore

With people on council thinking we have too many officers already this is crazy.
Be careful who you vote for .
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a dedicated officer who dealt with complaints and enforced laws already in place regarding people we now call homeless.
Who was already walking the streets in the evening and could be dispatched.
That I would gladly pay more taxes for .
Years ago homeless were called transients and they were asked to abide by the laws or move on .
The word homeless to me gives the impression of someone down on their luck .
These guys are not down on their luck .
Addiction,addiction addiction has caused most of the issues and now our government is trying normalize drugs .
This is not normal .
Get help or move over and on .
It’s up to you .
  • Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#14027 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

Addiction has affected my family like so many others.
Brain damage and unusual thinking has and continues occurred it’s not reversible .
To say this person does not function well in society is an understatement.
This peppers my views on enabling homeless and normalizing drug use .

#14028 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 01:02 PM

I'm not sure if this is more or less intense in Victoria, but in the Lower Mainland any plans to put shelters or modular homes outside of the utter shithole that is Downtown Eastside is met with so much resistance you'd think town halls were anti-conscription protests. Then I'm not sure how people expect homelessness to not worsen when real estate prices and rents alike are increasing far faster than income levels while the housing supply backlog only worsens. To an extent that's what drives progressives to protect the homeless even when they're taking liberties; attempting to actually house the homeless or keep more people from falling into that demographic is an exercise in futility. And unfortunately, the West Coast is the dumping ground for the country's transients for the same reason that it's a destination for retirees.

#14029 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 03:28 PM

A vast amount of stuff and a person camped out today, again, in front of Stevenson Doell, near Vancouver and Fort.

#14030 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 07:27 PM

And tonight a disappointment from VicPD non emergency line.

I called to report a unconscious person in the Royal Bank ATM lobby at Fort and Douglas.

The person asked me several times if I could just call 911.

I said surely I’ve already contacted the right department and even if it’s not a medical emergency it’s a police matter as I’m sure the person does not have permission to camp in the lobby.

She was dismissive and hung up on me. Two ambulances and a fire truck did arrive, no word on the condition of the person.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 April 2018 - 07:29 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14031 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

A couple of weeks ago we were walking down Cook St. near Dallas Road. As we passed by the houses we heard a couple of women talking on their phone but didn't think much of it. About twenty minutes later when we came back, I guess they had noticed a person laying right up against the fence where the wooded area is near the public washrooms at Cook and Dallas. I guess they had called and a firetruck was there, ambulance arrived shortly thereafter. We could see the firemen bending over something under a blue blanket, which seems so lifeless we thought it was a body. We walked home but about an hour later we drove along there and we could see the person still lying there. Seems a very cold and damp spot to be lying down, it's almost mud at this time of year. Guess they refused help.

#14032 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:14 PM

Nice little bike chop shop set up on the side lawn of the church at the corner of Vancouver and Pandora when I drove by around 3pm today. The church and the old McCalls building has fresh graffiti on it. I really wish city council would concern themselves with cleaning up the downtown core before they start trying to tackle completely useless issues like back up alarms on trucks. The past month has seen an increase in stabbings, police officers being injured etc, yet city council refuses to approve any of VicPD's requests for more funding. The city is spiralling out of control. The Mayor and council will have a lot of answer for on election day, which can't come soon enough.

• Nparker, mbjj, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#14033 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 03:52 PM

^^yeah I saw that bike chop shop too... in action.
I agree with you. I just spent the day in Langford and my, what a contrast! I never thought I’d say that but it crossed my mind that I should like to move there!

#14034 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:04 PM

To think a small city like Victoria has fostered an attitude towards simple lawlessness like you’d see in Chicago or NYC, where the police really do have bigger fish to fry.

Be careful, VHF, most of these guys carry shanks of some kind. I saw a guy yesterday pushing a shopping cart who had poorly disguised scissors at the ready.

Why should these people obey the law or make any attempt to better their situation? We provide them free housing, meals and support and ask nothing in return. No requirement to try rehab, care for their surroundings or make even the slightest effort to contribute. 

• Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#14035 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:10 PM

Friend of mine that worked for Portland Housing has packed it in.  

They feel it's too dangerous to be staff there, and where they thought they could make a difference helping people with a hand up, 98% are no better off than when they arrived at 844.  It's simply not a solution or way to a better path, they feel.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 April 2018 - 04:10 PM.

• Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#14036 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:05 PM

Friend of mine that worked for Portland Housing has packed it in...they thought they could make a difference helping people with a hand up, 98% are no better off than when they arrived at 844.  It's simply not a solution or way to a better path...

I've said it before and I am sure I'll say it again: low barrier shelters are the 21st century equivalent to the asylums of the past. The major difference today is that residents in shelters aren't even given the benefit of supervised medical treatment, and are largely left to self-medicate. The only time health care professionals step in is when someone is literally facing imminent death. Without some sort of mandated treatment, people in these situations will never get better.

• VicHockeyFan, Baro, Love the rock and 4 others like this

#14037 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:08 PM

^ But the dignity factor is way up!  Stigma is way down.  Independence!  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 09 April 2018 - 05:08 PM.

• Baro and LJ like this

#14038 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,780 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:11 PM

^ But the dignity factor is way up!  Stigma is way down.  Independence!  

At some point in the past 40 years or so it was decided that the mentally ill are capable of making decisions in their own best interest, and clearly this has been a disastrous policy.

• VicHockeyFan, Baro, tedward and 4 others like this

#14039 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:41 PM

^ But the dignity factor is way up! Stigma is way down. Independence!

And what of the people who now have to deal with them. We are not trained mental health/addiction professionals. Then on top of that you add an irresponsible police force (that gets assaulted on a regular basis). What does this do to our safety?

#14040 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 25 April 2018 - 09:09 AM

if the CofV wants people from the suburbs to go downtown with lots of cash to spend, they better do a lot better job of making it an inviting place.  Very little of my money gets spent downtown anymore

The CoV has made it clear they don't want anyone with a car to go downtown - now that said, the current environment also makes it uninviting for tourists and for those who work downtown.  "Not downtown" has become a bit of a bonus when it comes to being a business.

• Midnightly, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users