Victoria homelessness and street-related issues

• Please log in to reply
25967 replies to this topic

#16081 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

Why didn't they move to a less expensive town or city?

this one is inexpensive.  free food daily at our place or delivered to namegans.  free camping in parks.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#16082 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:51 AM

Because everyone has a "right" to live in Victoria; and what do costs matter when someone else is footing the bill?

Actually you don't need the quotes there.  As it happens, Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the right to live or seek work* anywhere in Canada. Governments in Canada can't discriminate based on what province someone used to live or currently lives in.

* Or not.

#16083 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:11 AM

The squeaky wheel gets the oil...or perhaps more accurately, sometimes blackmail works.

lynne hibak was a squeaky wheel that was not afraid to go on camera and you can see she has issues.

#16084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

...Canadian citizens and permanent residents have the right to live or seek work* anywhere in Canada...

In exercising one's rights maybe some common sense should come into play. For example, if Mr. Patenaude and his wife upon choosing to leave Vancouver, had exercised their right to live someplace less expensive than the capital region, that wasn't experiencing a well-publicized housing crunch, perhaps they might not have spent months living in a tent.

#16085 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,079 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 11:56 AM

the homeless are a very tiny sliver of the population the regina park campers a small portion of that sliver.   common sense decision-making on things like what city to live in is likely not a feature of most of this section of the populace.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2018 - 11:57 AM.

#16086 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 12:04 PM

“It does definitely bring light to the [homeless situation],” said Don Patenaude, who lived in Vancouver until he and his wife decided to move to Victoria six months ago.

This is like the $20 handout as far as publicizing Victoria goes, so I expect there will be more folks coming to Victoria looking for subsidized housing after seeing this story.

https://www.timescol...home-1.23486402

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#16087 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 04 November 2018 - 01:32 PM

In exercising one's rights maybe some common sense should come into play. For example, if Mr. Patenaude and his wife upon choosing to leave Vancouver, had exercised their right to live someplace less expensive than the capital region, that wasn't experiencing a well-publicized housing crunch, perhaps they might not have spent months living in a tent.

Probably.  I personally wouldn't jump if I didn't know where I was going to land.

I was just noting the quotations around the word rights which typically indicates the term does not actually mean what it implies.  The wisdom of exercising those rights is something else.

#16088 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:10 PM

Because everyone has a "right" to live in Victoria; and what do costs matter when someone else is footing the bill?

Enjoy your next property tax bill CoV land owners, she is going to be a big one!!!!

Bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  haha what a joke

#16089 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 03:32 PM

I'm already sick of our property tax bill and the stormwater bill is a joke, since most of the water in our driveway comes from the city streets at this time of year. We're paying to deal with their problem.

There's no way people who have been here such a short time should get priority with housing. Give people an incentive to move to a smaller, less expensive town. It would be cheaper for us in the long run.

Edited by mbjj, 04 November 2018 - 03:34 PM.

• Nparker, Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#16090 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 946 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:19 PM

It’s too bad people who are chronically homeless and want homes are not placed in the province of their birth by government in different areas .Some here or anywhere in the province where they have a vacancy.
They would be free to leave the program but would end up on the bottom of the list if you decided to leave the program similar to subsidize housing. Kicked out ,your problem .You could and would be placed anywhere in your province of birth .Given a start given support.
This would only be for the chronically homeless. Then if you decide to live in a tent your on your own .No one feels sorry for you no one is taken in by your bs .Povery pimps forced to cut services for the good of all the people .Each province is responsible for their own chronic homeless who want homes . I’m sure my idea has huge gaping holes ...just a passing thought.

#16091 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

Anything would be helpful to try and avoid certain cities having hugely disproportionate numbers of homeless people. It's not good for the homeless or anyone else. The "bring it on" approach is not working. We need better ideas.
  • Love the rock likes this

#16092 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

Enjoy your next property tax bill CoV land owners, she is going to be a big one!!!!

Bring in on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  haha what a joke

My poverty tax bill is currently just a few dollars short of $8k and I fully expect five-figure property tax bills by the end of their term.  ON TOP of that will be double-digit percentage increases to the already $2k I pay in city utilities.  God, I hate this Bolshevik shithole.

Edited by Bob Fugger, 04 November 2018 - 04:55 PM.

• mbjj and A Girl is No one like this

#16093 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,778 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

Enjoy your next property tax bill CoV land owners...

I actually read this post as "poverty tax" bill, which somehow seems like the main reason my taxes go up in the CoV.

• Bob Fugger and tjv like this

#16094 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 04 November 2018 - 04:55 PM

I actually read this post as "poverty tax" bill, which somehow seems like the main reason my taxes go up in the CoV.

Edited my original post.  Thank you.  :banana:

• Matt R. likes this

#16095 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 05:11 PM

New large "Our Place" signs have gone up on the old Youth Detention facility in View Royal.  

#16096 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:14 PM

Baffles me.

Two gentleman I know.

#1. Early 70s. 20 year school teacher (divorced). Works 2 jobs, sometimes the same day. Rents a basement suite and tries to make ends meet.

#2. Early 70s. 42 year reservists (Canadian Military). Works numerous jobs , including a paper route. Rents and cannot make ends meet.

Both have paid taxes their whole life.

But both would be better off with some of the assistance given here.

But due to their deal of the deck, seem worse off.

Edited by Wayne, 04 November 2018 - 07:14 PM.

#16097 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:55 PM

Baffles me.

Two gentleman I know.

#1. Early 70s. 20 year school teacher (divorced). Works 2 jobs, sometimes the same day. Rents a basement suite and tries to make ends meet.

#2. Early 70s. 42 year reservists (Canadian Military). Works numerous jobs , including a paper route. Rents and cannot make ends meet.

Reserve Force Pension plus CPP should be $2,000+ per month, no?

#16098 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 07:58 PM

Mattjvd, on 04 Nov 2018 - 7:55 PM, said:

Reserve Force Pension plus CPP should be $2,000+ per month, no?

If the bought it back when offered. In this case no.

#16099 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 09:10 PM

Baffles me.

Two gentleman I know.

WTF.  ok, can you give a little more info because their situation doesn't make any sense.  Were they poor savers?  Maybe an addiction problem like gambling, alcohol, etc?  what happened to all their RRSP/retirement savings?

They should both be getting CPP and old age security which has to be $1600+/month

#16100 N E Body

N E Body
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

WTF.  ok, can you give a little more info because their situation doesn't make any sense.  Were they poor savers?  Maybe an addiction problem like gambling, alcohol, etc?  what happened to all their RRSP/retirement savings?

They should both be getting CPP and old age security which has to be $1600+/month

Well, I'm not sure if this applies in these cases... but... divorce can destroy your pensions and CPP.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users