Photo

Victoria homelessness issues

• Please log in to reply
16769 replies to this topic

#16541 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 11,015 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:21 PM

The Coalition To End Homelessness, which has been around for over ten years, and whose mission is to end homelessness says things are getting better, which they can say for sure because it consistently says in their colourful annual reports that things are better than they were 12 months earlier so ipso facto if things were bad in 2008 but have consistently improving then my high school algebra tells me things must be pretty much solved by now.

• Mike K., martini, Midnightly and 2 others like this

"[Randall's] aesthetic poll was more accurate than his political acumen"

-Tom Hawthorne, Toronto Globe and Mail

#16542 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:40 PM

The Coalition To End Homelessness, 

let's review their financials for 2018:

revenue

government grants $433,801

contributions from other charities $176,091

individual donations $5,967

corporate donations $855

membership fees $810

https://victoriahome...8-FINAL-Web.pdf

that's pretty low membership fees:

Like all Canadian charities, the Coalition to End Homelessness belongs to its members. Members set our constitution and bylaws, elect our Board of Directors, and ensure that the work we do supports our mission to end homelessness in the Capital Region.

they have 35 corporate members ($25).  all charities or government agencies except the dvba and the chamber and gt hiring and the bay centre.

https://victoriahome...ved/membership/

looks like they have zero individual memberships at $10.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2019 - 02:50 PM.

• martini likes this

#16543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:20 PM

I had the "pleasure" of travelling along the 900 block of Pandora in a vehicle today. The boulevard was "livelier" than usual with its representation of human misery or as Her Worseship - on the rare occasions she is actually in Victoria - might say, it was "messy", but in the good, SJW way.

• pennymurphy2000 and DavidL like this

#16544 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:27 PM

I moved downtown in November 2014 (essentially since day one of Lisa Helps' first term), and since then have lived in two places both within a one block radius of Our Place. While I've been fortunate to never have experienced any frightening situations, anyone with half a brain can see it's gotten progressively worse.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, because I think it's the saddest thing. If someone was legitimately in danger screaming for help, I would ignore it. Not because I don't care, but at this point I cannot distinguish between the usual nightly yelling matches of domestic street bliss and an honest cry for help.

Both places I've lived at, the strata has been plagued with increased costs associated with security/break-ins/garbage/etc. Don't get me wrong, downtown is an awesome place to live...but man, sometimes it really sucks.

• Mike K., weirdie, Midnightly and 1 other like this

#16545 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher
  • 8,234 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

Alana says she's been addicted to heroin for over a year after succumbing to depression. She sleeps on Pandora Street in downtown Victoria, outside Our Place Society, a support centre for people experiencing homelessness.

There are "too many people and not enough beds to sleep on" in the shelter, says Alana, who asked that her real name be withheld. 

She says she doesn't stay at local shelters because they're overflowing with people, bed bugs and head lice.

But on the street, other drug users steal her valuables, defecate in public, and bully her for being kind. 

But through all the hardship she said it's important that drug users stick together to be safe. 

"In seconds your life could change …You could be dead," she said of the dangers of overdosing. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...roups-1.5269447

For Alana, part of the solution is for the public to "put aside their differences" and learn to be respectful of people in her situation.

"The hatred people have for users, and the disgusted looks I get now — it's unbelievable," she said through tears.

ok fine.  but i'd genuinely like to hear more from cbc or her on how she got to the street from her issues.  where was she a year ago or two years ago?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 September 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#16546 LJ

LJ
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:37 PM

Why should all roads lead to downtown Victoria whenever we talk about social issues?

Because your Mayor said "bring it on", mine didn't.

• Daveyboy, pennymurphy2000, A Girl is No one and 1 other like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#16547 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 878 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 07:52 PM

And as with every single one of these articles, our place and Coolaid jump in to make a plea for more tax payer funded facilities and more money, while NEVER being questioned about their lack of success.....☹️
  • Nparker, Love the rock, pennymurphy2000 and 3 others like this

#16548 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:07 PM

There doesn't seem to be any desire to really improve the situation or make people's lives better. The goal seems to be to keep the status quo, keep raising the alarm that we need more funding, and they take no visible steps to change anything. Certainly the current cov government has worsened the situation, but can you imagine how bad things will get after Mayor Isitt's coronation?
  • Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

#16549 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:30 PM

...can you imagine how bad things will get after Mayor Isitt's coronation?

I can't be sure how things will be for the homeless with Comrade Ben at the helm, but life will most certainly be much worse for everyone else in the CoV.

• Love the rock, mbjj, pennymurphy2000 and 2 others like this

#16550 gstc84

gstc84
  • 292 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:34 AM

Are you able to elaborate?

But you're right, in that we have a hard time believing the experiences of someone else. It's human nature to question/suspect until we have a first-hand experience.

Well...the most unexpected and jarring was last weekend, passing by Cactus Club in the middle of the afternoon and being accosted by a very aggressive and drugged out guy with a bloody, infected open neck wound. Asked me if I wanted to see where he lived, I said no thanks I was busy, he tried to grab at me and started yelling that he wasn't going to hurt me, didn't want money, just wanted to show me his house. I said no again and kept walking while he continued to scream down the block at me that I need to do some heroin and calm the f*** down. It was charming. The people on the patio at Cactus Club looked...uncomfortable. Saturday of a long weekend, I imagine there were lots of tourists around and this guy had probably been harassing folks for a while.

#16551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 52,548 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 08:52 AM

:eek:

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16552 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:00 AM

"Bring it on" "Messy". Nothing to see here folks.

• martini, pennymurphy2000 and A Girl is No one like this

#16553 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:02 AM

Situations like this are why I always carry a can of silly string wherever I go. Not only does it sting the idiot's eyes, it also helps to sustain that messy vibe we're apparently going for.

• Mike K. and mbjj like this

#16554 Nparker

Nparker
  • 24,460 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:16 AM

Situations like this are why I always carry a can of silly string wherever I go...

Although I suspect you're mostly kidding shoeflack, I'd take some caution in "silly-stringing" some of the more aggressive street community, especially if they come off as particularly incoherent and display infected wounds as described above. If a person shows minimal concern for their own well-being imagine how little they care about others? Their reaction to being confronted in this manner has a good chance of ending in even worse consequences for you. It's always best to ignore them as much as possible and walk away whenever you can.

• Hotel Mike and Awaiting Juno like this

#16555 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:20 AM

Although I suspect you're mostly kidding shoeflack, I'd take some caution in "silly-stringing" some of the more aggressive street community, especially if they come off as particularly incoherent and display infected wounds as described above. If a person shows minimal concern for their own well-being imagine how little they care about others? Their reaction to being confronted in this manner has a good chance of ending in even worse consequences for you. It's always best to ignore them as much as possible and walk away whenever you can.

You're right. Hairspray would be better...would sting the open wounds and give you time to escape while they shriek in pain.

#16556 mbjj

mbjj
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:12 PM

I tried to park by Macs in Cook St. Village today. There was a free space but as I pulled in some guy came along doing the weird, jerky movement type of thing. He got right up to the vehicle parked in front of me, peering through the windows. Sorry, but I'm an older petite lady and he freaked me out, so I moved on and kept my doors locked.

#16557 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,709 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:16 PM

You did the right thing.
  • Nparker and pennymurphy2000 like this

#16558 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,709 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 03:28 PM

We have lost control of our civility and safety in this city.

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link...and a law without a penalty is only a suggestion.

Please count me out of this inclusion bullshit when a lady (or a man for that matter) is afraid to get out of their car.

Millions of dollars in this city trade hands with drug dealers on welfare paydays. Until our administration stops turning a blind eye to that...we are doomed.
  • Nparker, LJ, spanky123 and 10 others like this

#16559 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 06:14 PM

We have lost control of our civility and safety in this city.

A chain is only as strong as the weakest link...and a law without a penalty is only a suggestion.

Please count me out of this inclusion bullshit when a lady (or a man for that matter) is afraid to get out of their car.

Millions of dollars in this city trade hands with drug dealers on welfare paydays. Until our administration stops turning a blind eye to that...we are doomed.

I feel like the drug dealers are the only ones who benefit from the situation. An ever-increasing customer base crammed into a small area. A city council contingent saying we need less policing. Plenty of experts stressing the need for safe spaces to use, but hardly a word about helping get people clean. And so on...
  • Daveyboy, A Girl is No one and Teardrop like this

#16560 DavidL

DavidL
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 08:11 PM

One of the management guys from Our Place was on CFAX and was spinning the idea that there's no real violence going on, that it's just perception and if you only knew the people...He talked about how he walked to work there every day and never had any problems so he couldn't understand why text after text and call after call was describing alarming incidents between the street population and civilians.  I honestly couldn't tell if he so deeply believed in what he was doing that he thought his perception was real or he was so deeply invested in the business that he's in that he's become willfully blind.

• martini, pennymurphy2000 and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users