Commercial

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

^ You know that is a good point. If they are trying to attract office clients they should change the sign.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:08 AM

As noted elsewhere, huge supports for a new sign have been constructed on site. Are the owners trying to restart interest in this site?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:41 PM

Maybe it's for a giant for lease sign? :)

It's a pretty shabby office building, all things considered.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

The sign supports are at Cook and Johnson. I think it will be a two-storey version of the sign pictured above as any realistic development would require rezoning so we won't see a development announcement any time soon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:47 PM

^^ Mike's new Avatar, wow. It looks like it's ready to launch.

#26 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:01 PM

Darn rights. SkyscraperPage's forum is going mobile in the near future and that's the new icon. :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#27 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:41 PM

so, there's now a rendering on that sign for a one or two storey retail/office complex with sapces between 1000 and 2000 sq ft available for lease... it was hard to tell how many floors it was, as the render (and building) looks like a jumbled mess. I couldn't even spot any discernible entrances... really hoping it's just a placeholder.

#28 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

#29 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

Hmm that's not working for some reason.

I passed by the site on my way home from work today to have a look at the sign and snap a photo, but the batter was dead in my camera!

The building does look odd, it doesn't appear to have storefronts. In fact it looks like it's 1.5 storeys, with the basement windows along the sidewalk.

#30 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

I know you should not judge a building by one rendering but I do not like this one bit. It looks like a warehouse in Saanich. Entirely inappropriate response to the site IMO. No transition of height between blocks, non-urban cladding, poor streetfront interaction.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:37 PM

Can't imagine what they're thinking with this one. It couldn't be more wrong for the site. It reminds me of those crappy old office blocks at Fort and Vancouver, only much worse.

#32 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I know you should not judge a building by one rendering but I do not like this one bit. It looks like a warehouse in Saanich.

BAHAHAHA, THIS!!! What the **** were they thinking?! Likely, they don't want to build too high so as not to block the views of the heritage car lots.

My God, why do we get it so wrong in this City so often!?

#33 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Got photos now :)

This view is of the north-east corner of Cook and Johnson St. where there is currently a parking lot. The proposed building has several storefronts along the Johnson St. side and what appears to be two on the Cook St. side. I imagine the difficulty of having more of the storefronts on Cook St. (which would be preferable in my opinion) is the sloped grade of that side.

Many of us would probably like to see a few floors of apartments above retail space here, like the building proposed a few blocks south at Fort St., but given the added complexities of building residential I feel that one floor of retail here is acceptable.

^ View a larger version - http://gingert.net/i...nson-01_lrg.jpg

The other side of the sign with a night rendering. The Johnson St. storefronts can be seen here.

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

What a travesty.

#35 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

Looks like a good place to deal drugs at night...

horrible density - this one needs a rethink
"I know nothing"

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

It would be funny if it was the same architect as the one doing the Monty's renovation. I would like the irony of them pulling the unsightly, dated slats off the facade of one building and attaching them to a new one.

#37 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

I don't get this. We are told residential has to be multi storied to break even, but commercial can be economical with just one story?

#38 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:08 PM

Yes, no excavation needed for underground parking, no elevators, and no heavy structural system needed when building just one floor.

#39 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,589 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzz......

#40 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

This is the maddest proposal I think I've seen in a long time.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users