Camping on Vancouver Island

• Please log in to reply
438 replies to this topic

#21 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

Thanks guys. Should we book a spot or is it first come first serve at Fairy?

First Come first served. There are quite a few spots open pretty much all the time closer to the road but the good one is site 15? right on the lake.

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:01 PM

Camping weather is here but first you should familiarize yourself with some camping pests.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

Camping weather is here but first you should familiarize yourself with some camping pests.

I am so glad someone on VV actually reads the New Yorker! Holden - you are a hero!

#24 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

^What was the point of that New Yorker slide show on pseudo-camping pests?? :confused: I failed to see anything useful or funny about any of it.

VHF, why don't you camp?
In chains by Keynes

#25 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

I really need to get back to Camping. I can't remember the last time i went.

#26 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:22 AM

I really need to get back to Camping. I can't remember the last time i went.

There are numerous and interesting locations in this region, no need to go far away.

The Gulf Islands have many good locations
Ruckle Park Saltspring, you can walk there from the Fulford ferry dock
Sidney Island - $20 per person to catch the ferry over from the Sidney pier
Pender Island - Prior Centennial
Portland Island - though you need to hire a boat to get there.
Montague Harbour on Galiano

On the Island, we have:
China Beach, French Beach etc on the Juan de Fuca trail
Cowichan Lake - there are various good locations there

#27 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:26 AM

Ruckle Park Saltspring, you can walk there from the Fulford ferry dock

I would call it a hike more than a walk. It's over 9km of hilly roads.

#28 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

I would call it a hike more than a walk. It's over 9km of hilly roads.

On a road, a walk, on trails a hike. Still 9 km is not very far to go, only 2 hours to do it.

#29 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:40 AM

With a bunch of camping gear it's a bit more trouble.

#30 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

Closer to home we have Bamberton, Goldstream (never actually camped here), and the potholes (closed this year due to water main construction unfortunately...

#31 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:50 AM

^What was the point of that New Yorker slide show on pseudo-camping pests?? :confused: I failed to see anything useful or funny about any of it.

Right you are, an encounter with the Hairy Pillow Spider is definitely no laughing matter.

BTW, has anyone noticed that the mosquitoes around here seem early and more plentiful than usual?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 07:55 AM

^ Actually yes. I had really never noticed any mosquitoes in Victoria proper before and this year there seems to be a few which is a huge increase in my mind.

#33 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:22 AM

WARNING: on a recent camping trip to Port Renfrew, the local youth ran out of beer and came out to the camp ground at night to help them selves to anything left outside and even some things inside vehicles by smashing the window. this was not an isolated incident.

#34 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:46 AM

Which campround?

#35 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:28 AM

the native one just over the bridge.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:33 AM

Patcheedadt

#37 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:07 AM

Only camped there once because the forestry ones were full. I much prefer camping a little inland of there, as you can't swim on the coast.

#38 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

I'm not much of a camper myself, but this summer I visited Tribune Bay on Hornby Island for a three day camping adventure. This is a rave review!

White sand beaches, caves, hoodoos, warm(er) ocean for swimming, sandstone and shale beaches, tidal pools, clean, well thought out campsites that strike the balance between accessible and private, water that actually tastes good from the pump, amazing place to hike, or just curl up in the sun with a good book..

Oh yes AND: Coffee done any way you like it a mere stumble away from the campsite, a co-op store with everything you could possibly need adjacent to the campsite (at Island prices though so expect a markup and bring groceries,) and a fantastic little restaurant where you can enjoy a proper sit down breakfast if that's your druthers... annnnd... FREE WIRELESS!

Yep. It was just about perfect.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#39 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 02:42 PM

Since AllSeeing & Friends are a bit into extreme activities including extreme skiing and surfing, we've spent several summers combining great backwoods camping with White Water Rafting at the REO Rafting/Camping facility up the canyon past Lytton, and just above Hells Gate on the Fraser River.

The rafting/camping area is technically on the Nahatlatch River, which is a Class 4 tributary of the Fraser.

It's only a 3 hour drive from Vancouver; you can pitch the tent, go fly fishing barely 50 meters from the warmth of your sleeping bag and of course hit the white water. Great experience, and for what you get - meals and wet suit rentals included - it's really quite cheap on the wallet.

#40 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

Mrs. Marcat and I, were a big fan of the RV, the leather recliners, jacuzzi tub, king sized bed, internet, computer, flat screen etc parked down at the ocean with the boat to go fishing. Can't say much into the camping gig, though in the younger days I used to spend quite a lot of time in the ol'4wheeler and quad up in the hills above Port Renfrew camping off decomish. logging roads and such. Then again, with our place out here yonder along West Coast Rd, haven't even found much use for that either.

I recall camping at Ruckle in the younger years as well, I hardly recall it being a enjoyable hike from Fulford Harbour...but thats just me I suppose.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users