APPROVED
Mount St. Angela
Use: rental
Address: 913-929 Burdett Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Mount St. Angela is a proposal for a six-storey seniors residence along the 900-blocks of McClure Street and B... (view full profile)
Learn more about Mount St. Angela on Citified.ca
Photo

[Fairfield] Mount St. Angela | Seniors residence | 6-storeys | Approved

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#101 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:33 AM

I've been told that the developer has contacted the Strata Council at the Chelsea with this proposal (a building-wide information session may be held soon).

Since it's in the early stages they probably haven't submitted an application to City Hall...

#102 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 09:54 PM

There's a new proposal for this site.

* Restore the heritage brick (i.e. main) building on Burdett
* Demolish the adjacent house immediately *east* (closest to Chelsea condos)
* Move the house facing McClure Street to the Burdett Street (to occupy lot closest to Chelsea condos) and restore it
* Construct a new 6-storey *wood-framed* condo or apartment building facing McClure Street

If this goes forward, would that make it the first 6-story wood framed building in Victoria?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#103 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

I don't know of any others.

#104 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Although it would likely be 5 wood over 1 concrete.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#105 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

The development permit and heritage alteration permit for this project will be discussed at Council's Planning and Land Use Standing Committee tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM (item #6 on the agenda - 923 Burdett).

#106 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 07:56 AM

I believe that the rezoning application for this project has been filed as indicated on by a sign on the Burdett side of the property.

#107 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:07 AM

This will go to the city's planning and land use committee on Thursday (with a recommendation for a public hearing).

#108 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

Mt. St. Angela project resurfaces at city council
Bill Cleverly, Victoria Times-Colonist
October 22, 2010
http://www.timescolo...4664/story.html
A new proposal to build a new five-storey condominium on the site of the historic Mount St. Angela property 923 Burdett Ave. is headed to public hearing. [...]

The article has a few renderings of the proposed development, which is down to just 5 storeys now. Quick summary:

* Rehab of the existing building into 30 units of affordable senior rental housing
* Restoration of 924 McClure and conversion to four residential units
* Construction of 5-storey condo building with 56 units on the eastern portion of the property ; this building, like the Chelsea, would stretch between McClure and Burdett

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

Is there a reason that the front of the building looks like the side of a building?

Edit: Sorry, is the front of the building actually on McClure Street? I didn't see the second picture until just now.

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Was this project canceled?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#111 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:14 PM

I think this is before City Council tomorrow--I have no other details. I have no idea what's happening here anymore.

EDIT: Looking at the agenda it appears it's just a heritage designation.

Edited by Rob Randall, 11 January 2017 - 08:21 PM.

#112 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 07:20 AM

The current proposal is for 132 units of seniors housing...

New article: http://www.timescolo...rhaul-1.7235612
  • Rob Randall likes this

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

The current proposal is for 132 units of seniors housing...

I like the approach to integrating the heritage structure with new construction, but the NIMBYs will say it's too tall and Pam will probably hate it, just because she can.

...Senior heritage planner Merinda Conley told councillors the proposal presents an approach to heritage conservation that has not been seen in this city before. “The glass curtain wall abuts to the existing brick walls to emphasize the solid mass and prominence of Mount St. Angela,” she said. “The proposal does not create a false sense of historical development through replication or continuation of style, but rather integrates new development utilizing contrasting and in-kind materials to design a new addition in a manner that draws a clear distinction between what is historic and what is new,” she said...

mount-st-angela-jpg.jpg

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.7TymoSY8.dpuf

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

While the proposal was recommended for approval by the city’s advisory design panel, it was unanimously rejected by the heritage advisory panel.

#115 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:12 PM

While the proposal was recommended for approval by the city’s advisory design panel, it was unanimously rejected by the heritage advisory panel...

Quel surprise.

#116 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 12:47 PM

Advisory Design Panel is made up of architects while Heritage Advisory Panel is mostly made up of heritage "experts". Some have formal architectural or heritage training, others are just keen "enthusiasts" but the present panel seems mostly professionals.

A project like Mt. St. Angela is a challenge for some of them because, to be frank, some are perplexed by modern architecture. It's like asking an antique car buff what he thinks of the offerings at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show. He'll have an opinion but it won't likely be nuanced or positive.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#117 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

I assume some sort of 3-storey red brick-clad replica of the existing MSA would be more palatable to our local heritage 'experts'? Mocking the past is OK, but celebrating the present is verboten?

• 2F2R likes this

#118 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:09 PM

^Oh, they could go on for days about the appropriate colour of brick on the new addition and whether it should run Common Bond or English Cross Bond--but aluminum and glass? Non comprende.

Edited by Rob Randall, 13 January 2017 - 03:10 PM.

• Nparker and AllseeingEye like this

#119 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Eight years ago the house and the addition were made available to VIHA to house some of it's clients.

I find it disappointing that fact was overlooked in today's Times Colonist.

The story does not explain what will happen to the current residents when they are forced to move.

And even though St. Angela is presently contributing to help house the mentally ill and those recovering from addictions, the Mayor of Victoria likes the proposal.

“There is a lot about this application that I really like,” said Mayor Lisa Helps"

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.qII4Gj22.dpuf

Victoria News
Giving back the old home

By Keith Vass - Victoria News
Published: January 01, 2009 6:00 AM

Isherwood family changes development plans to the benefit of street population
The most vulnerable are not usually the first people in the community to benefit when housing markets start to slide.
But thanks to one Victoria developer, 31 people living with mental illness or recovering from addictions have a new home to start the new year.
Norm Isherwood struggled for two years to win city approval to redevelop the historic Mount St. Angela site at 923 Burdett Ave. with a new condo building behind the 1866 Angela College building.

But after a rezoning was granted last February, Isherwood had a change of plans.
“Once I could sense the financial turmoil starting in the world and knowing the trouble the city was having with lack of shelter and being an apartment builder … I decided it would be better for everybody to let some people have the advantage of living in a quality building in just a super location,” he said.
Isherwood was born on the property in 1942, when his parents owned it and ran a hotel in the former college and its 1912 addition. His mother sold it in 1958 to the Sisters of St. Ann, who used it as a convent for almost 50 years before selling it back to Isherwood in 2006.
When Isherwood’s redevelopment plans fell through – they would have seen the addition torn down – he turned to the Capital Region Housing Action Team to offer the property for use.
Within two hours, Isherwood and action team directors Henry Kamphoff and Jim Bennett had a plan. The house and the addition were made available to the Vancouver Island Health Authority to house some of its clients.
“They are stable clients, they’re not clients who are actively using drugs, they’re not clients who are just off the street,” said Linda Johnson, VIHA’s manager of residential housing for mental health and addictions.
The new spaces will help the homeless indirectly by freeing up rooms in other VIHA supportive housing facilities.
The health authority has already moved people into housing at Mount St. Angela – homeless clients of the region’s Assertive Community Treatment teams.
The availability of the building couldn’t have come at a better time, Johnson said, as VIHA was faced with losing 15 spaces for the mentally ill after leases on two other properties were not being renewed due to the owners’ redevelopment plans.
Those 15 clients, and the contracted care staff who were working with them, have moved to Mount St. Angela.
Isherwood said the historic buildings will need work: a new roof, new boiler and probably foundation repairs.
Plans are in the works for a possible rental apartment building on what is now open grass on the property’s southeast corner.
As it stands, the project is “not even a break-even,” Isherwood said.
“It’s our own form of help between my wife Michelle and myself. It was a good home for me and I hope it’s a good home for the people that are there.”

#120 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:47 AM

Do we know if it's rental housing?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users