CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#41 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:52 PM

Welcome to VV Glen. This topic has long been one of my favorites. I have read your blogs for a while now and just finished re reading the one on the "Century".

Part of the recent history that is worthy of note is when Dan Walker of Coast Catering had control of the hotel. This is after Ron de Montigny went bankrupt.

Dan was a colourful and well liked local businessman that promoted "strip nights" at various locations around the city which was by invitation only. Word would spread and tickets were sold. It was the roving speak easy of the late 60's. I survived a police bust one night in the basement of 1218 Wharf by pretending to be sick from too much alcohol. When the nice policeman guarding the exit door let me out, I ran like the wind. There was another "function" on the next night though. Those were the days.

Dan was also the purveyor of machines that consumed coins and provided everything from cigarettes to coffee.

The story lore has it that when Dan got tired of paying his taxes, if not more, he locked the doors of the Century, filled in his tax return like a good citizen, dropped it into the mail box (sans cheque) and went on vacation to Costa Rica.

Dan is still on vacation as far as I know.

#42 glenalan54

glenalan54
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 06:50 AM

Thank-you for the information. The puzzle is becoming clearer.

#43 cabin

cabin
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:01 AM

Here we go again....

http://www.bclocalne.../125110278.html

#44 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:07 AM

It would be nice to see some change to that building and get rid of Monty's once and for all.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

On Wednesday, it submitted a rezoning application to the Downtown Residents’ Association for review, according to company principal Lorne Milne.

Anything you can tell us, Rob Randall?

I heard from an insider that the Monty's owners were looking at seeing if a strip club in Wescom could be viable.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Griffiths Milne Clough Projects developed both Upper Harbour Place buildings, not just the one as per the article.

One of GMC's directors, Clough, is involved with Wessex Project Management, the firm that managed the failed Radius and Silkwind projects.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:05 AM

I would absolutely love to see a new 4- or 5-story building replace that little stone-covered portion and those goofy driveway islands, too. For fans of "flatiron" buildings, that's a potential spot for one. Extend the block right to the corner and close things up a bit and make that intersection feel less like a failed 1960s urban renewal experiment and more like the heart of Victoria's old town. Seeing as how it's in the heart of Victoria's old town and all...

Ah, but then we'd lose some of that green space.

#48 Koru

Koru
  • 715 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

I'm doing a dance...its time for that corner to get gussied up, get rid of the horrendous strip club and bar and the dive of a hotel.

On another note, having only been in once, when I was last visiting Vic City after the TC 10k for Brunch at Cabin 12, as they could potentially fall victim in this location, I would like to see anyone doing something with this property, to have Cabin 12 taken into account, and given a long term lease at viable market rates to allow them to continue their success story! or at least a relocation provided for them!

#49 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

Ah, but then we'd lose some of that green space.

Drivers on Johnson would lose their fleeting glimpse views of the open-air urinal...

#50 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Drivers on Johnson would lose their fleeting glimpse views of the open-air urinal...

This reminds me. I saw Pam Madoff at last night's preview performance of "Ride the Cyclone" at the Belfry*. I can't say for certain, but after the show ended, I am pretty sure I spotted her outside the theatre looking a little dazed. I think she was looking for glimpses of the Sooke Hills from the Gladstone/Fernwood intersection, but those pesky 2 storey buildings from a century ago were in the way. ;)

* As an aside, I encourage everyone to go see "Ride the Cyclone" before it ends its run here on July 17. You'll have a great time guaranteed. Think "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" meets "GLEE" (kinda-sorta).

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:27 PM

* As an aside, I encourage everyone to go see "Ride the Cyclone" before it ends its run here on July 17. You'll have a great time guaranteed. Think "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" meets "GLEE" (kinda-sorta).

Thanks for the review. I have some passes for the Belfry that I have been meaning to use.

#52 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

From what I recall the plan is to demolish the 1 storey building on the corner and erect a 5 storey building along with some minor renos to the existing hotel. No idea if Monty's is going or not.

#53 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

In my humble, while the building itself has history, the actual building, after what's been done to it over the years, has no historical value left to it.

Do we really expect an out of toner, or for that, a newcomer to the city to look at that building and see any of the rich history that has been described in this thread?

My opinion, take the whole thing down, build something that can become history.

#54 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:47 PM

News today in Vic News. Plaza hotel as been sold. (Can't find link.)
$14m (Typo??) developmental planned. Gutted, facade retained, underground parking.
Developer: Griffiths Milne Clough.

Thumb wayyy up. (But the cost has to be wrong)

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

Oh and 2013 start.

#56 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

News today in Vic News. Plaza hotel as been sold. (Can't find link.)
$14m (Typo??) developmental planned. Gutted, facade retained, underground parking.
Developer: Griffiths Milne Clough.

Thumb wayyy up. (But the cost has to be wrong)

LINK: http://www.bclocalne.../127262873.html
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

See, I told you four years ago it would happen if we prayed to St. Thomas, the patron saint of architects and people in doubt.

I think there is an attractive heritage facade under all that 70s crap. The other sides of the hotel can be enhanced with modern architecture. This has the potential to be a jewel on upper Government Street although it may permanently doom Geoff Young's vision for a rail terminus at that site.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#58 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:34 PM

See, I told you four years ago it would happen if we prayed to St. Thomas, the patron saint of architects and people in doubt.

I think there is an attractive heritage facade under all that 70s crap. The other sides of the hotel can be enhanced with modern architecture. This has the potential to be a jewel on upper Government Street although it may permanently doom Geoff Young's vision for a rail terminus at that site.

Holden you are correct....there is an old building under there....I know two of the previous owners....I hope their dementia is improving.....one of them was a drummer......geezus.....his wife told me that he was a great drummer and a terrible husband . There must be a bunch of archived pictures.

#59 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

...it may permanently doom Geoff Young's vision for a rail terminus at that site.

That vision became doomed when Victoria City Council made the asinine decision not to include rail on the new Johnson Street Bridge. :mad:

#60 zinkerled

zinkerled
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Has anyone heard any recent news or rumors about this project?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users