CANCELLED
Victoria Plaza Hotel
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 603 Pandora Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 6
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR)
Sales status: in planning
A proposal to redevelop the Victoria Plaza Hotel in downtown Victoria is envisioned a six-storey new-build win... (view full profile)
Learn more about Victoria Plaza Hotel on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Victoria Plaza Hotel (aka Monty's) Redevelopment | Condos | Cancelled in 2019

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
847 replies to this topic

#761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:40 AM

Yeah, it’s the new normal. In this hyper polarized time certain things just trigger people, and social media has been getting worse, and worse, and worse over the years.

I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be young and being not only conscious of your image/reputation in a physical sense but also in the social media sense. My neighbour’s daughter is now at the age where she’s starting to care about social media and her reputation on the platforms, and her dad just shakes his head. It’s a new world out there. Turn on the swear word censor and buckle up.
  • Nparker and spanky123 like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#762 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:29 AM

Could we be wrong about letting a vacant building (like Ian’s Coffee Shop) continue to exist because someone wants to save a wall?

I agree with your post, but it is the owners of Ian's Coffee Shop that want to save the front wall

#763 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

I agree with your post, but it is the owners of Ian's Coffee Shop that want to save the front wall

It is one of the most aesthetically pleasing buildings in town.
  • rmpeers likes this

#764 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:50 AM

I think things do not look good regarding the caretaker.

#765 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

Some people are always critical of VV’s social media posts. There’s not a day that they won’t find something to criticize or nitpick. Why that is I don’t know, but obviously some people have either too much time on their hands or haven’t checked themselves in a while to gauge just how their flippant remarks are actually being perceived).

I find it strange that the people who criticize VV online keep coming back to read what you have to say next! You would think that if someone always disagreed with what you said then they would stop following you. Either you have a few disgruntled ex-forum members who have nothing better to do, or the opposition is more organized and designed to discredit the information that VV provides.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#766 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

or some people are just cranky. there is a grand total of two significant independent news sources in victoria. some people like to moan about both.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2019 - 10:00 AM.

#767 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

technically it should have read “storm drain” system not sewer.

“sewer: an artificial usually subterranean conduit to carry off sewage and sometimes surface water (as from rainfall)”

https://www.merriam-...ictionary/sewer

#768 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:05 AM

or some people are just cranky. there is a grand total of two significant independent news sources in victoria. some people like to moan about both.

There is moaning and then there is criticizing everything that is said.

#769 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

There is moaning and then there is criticizing everything that is said.

I don’t think so.

#770 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:10 AM

I don’t think so.

See there you go!

#771 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:13 AM

See there you go!

Why don’t you go look in the mirror.

#772 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:16 AM

Why don’t you go look in the mirror.

I was kidding my friend. 

• todd likes this

#773 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

I was kidding my friend.

Same my friend. :)

I was trying to private message you a smiley face but they require a minimum of three smiley faces thought that be kind of weird.

Edited by todd, 12 May 2019 - 10:22 AM.

#774 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:05 PM

Kind of sad, VicFD chaps in white overalls and face masks are checking every excavator bucketful of debris before it's placed in a pile for eventual removal.

It's apparent what they're looking for ... in that they're not letting a single bucket load go by without a full inspection.

Grim job eventually.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#775 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:23 PM

I would imagine they're also looking for remains of metal tools in order to rule out the possibility he removed his valuable antique tool collection before the fire. He wouldn't let his lifetime hobby go up in smoke for any price so this will quash the nasty inside job rumour. I'm sure he died trying to put out the fire.

Edited by Rob Randall, 16 May 2019 - 04:24 PM.

#776 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:40 PM

I'm sure he died trying to put out the fire.

That's the belief of the neighbours living in the area as well.

Those who were on the scene around 7:30am will recall that there were very few (if any) flames initially. This would imply that he could have made it quite easily from his third floor suite down towards the basement, having to only deal with smoke on the way down.

Considering the fire blew the side exit door off its hinges when the Fire Department arrived, the fear would be what happened when he approached or opened whatever door on the other side of which was a raging basement fire.

I have heard locally (in the neighbourhood), and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere is that he had told a few of his neighbours that he was quite ill.

He told some that he had cancer, and wasn't going to be seeking treatment ... and he apparently told others that he had a serious heart condition.

#777 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

I would imagine they're also looking for remains of metal tools in order to rule out the possibility he removed his valuable antique tool collection before the fire. He wouldn't let his lifetime hobby go up in smoke for any price so this will quash the nasty inside job rumour. I'm sure he died trying to put out the fire.

Also likely searching for clues as to how the fire started.

#778 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

Some folks say he recently grew a long beard. Lots of info flying about, and much of it is likely hearsay or conjecture.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:17 AM

isn’t all of it since the man himself is not available to provide any concrete information?

#780 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:59 AM

Some folks say he recently grew a long beard. Lots of info flying about, and much of it is likely hearsay or conjecture.

Definitely had a beard. See:

https://vancouverisl...-fire-1.4423998

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users