Photo

Amalgamation of Victoria municipalities

• Please log in to reply
2247 replies to this topic

#1641 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

...Oak Bay simply doesn't generate enough tax to pay for its infrastructure.

How does it manage now? The largesse of provincial transfer payments?

#1642 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

How does it manage now? The largesse of provincial transfer payments?

Building up a massive infrastructure deficit. Grant applications when they can get them.

#1643 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

...I've often thought that even with an amalgamation, Oak Bay might remain a separate jurisdiction. Kind of like Beverly Hills in the middle of Los Angeles.

Fun fact: Beverley Hills is one of nearly 90 (88 I think?) independent cities/muni's within LA, and that's not including cities in Orange, Ventura or San Bernadino counties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1644 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

Building up a massive infrastructure deficit...

Then they will definitely need to pay for the wall.

#1645 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 02:43 PM

Fun fact: Beverley Hills is one of nearly 90 (88 I think?) independent cities/muni's within LA...

I'll have to add that to my list of reasons why LA is hell on earth.

#1646 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

UDeMan, on 01 Sept 2017 - 3:35 PM, said:

The Victoria International Airport is in Sidney, but I don't hear anyone wanting to change the name to Sidney International Airport...

Exactly. Collectively the entire region is essentially known as Victoria. Our governance needs to reflect this.

#1647 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:54 PM

Fun fact: Beverley Hills is one of nearly 90 (88 I think?) independent cities/muni's within LA, and that's not including cities in Orange, Ventura or San Bernadino counties.

Including Vernon, with 110 residents and 50,000 employees.

https://en.wikipedia...ration_campaign

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 September 2017 - 03:55 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1648 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

Can someone please explain how anything could be less efficient than what we currently have? I am not saying cheaper, I am saying how would fewer governments and the end of the CRD* be less efficient?

* which only exists because are governance is so fragmented

That's a good point.  Cost is a separate issue vs efficiency.  

Amalgamation would help with the efficiency of regional issues and services......but it does not mean that CoV policy and interests can be rammed down the throats of the remaining 280,000 people that live in the CRD.  Amalgamation would hurt efficiency for municipal services......just look at the creation of the "Business Hub".    

https://www.thestar....port_finds.html

With that said, I do agree that a reduction of the number of municipalities would be beneficial overall, or at least give the CRD some teeth, make it accountable and separate from the municipalities.  

There is a lot of misinformation being circulated over the cost of amalgamation.  Focusing on cost savings from reduced councils flies in the face of the studies undertaken to better understand why amalgamated cities end up costing taxpayers more.  When cities amalgamate, services are standardized.  Non-union municipalities, like Langford, become unionized.  When salaries are standardized.....do you believe CoV union employees will take a cut in salary or will others salaries go up?   

http://www.timescolo...ties-1.22115574

It is easy to focus on increased costs for policing and fire protection of the downtown core, but it doesn't make sense to look at expenditures without also looking at revenue generated.  How much commercial tax revenue does CoV enjoy, and does it offset the cost for additional services such as policing and fire?  If it does, what should be done with the additional revenue?  Victoria has 24% of the population of the CRD, so should 76% be distributed to other areas? 

#1649 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Whether you live in Langford, Colwood, Saanich, Esquimalt, View Royal, Oak Bay, etc. your postal address is Victoria BC. So when telling outsiders where you live, it is probably easiest to tell them you are from Victoria.

#1650 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:23 PM

Whether you live in Langford, Colwood, Saanich, Esquimalt, View Royal, Oak Bay, etc. your postal address is Victoria BC. So when telling outsiders where you live, it is probably easiest to tell them you are from Victoria.

So if Canada Post and the rest of the world thinks our relatively small geography and population is one city, why are some locals so resistant to any form of amalgamation?

• tedward likes this

#1651 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:51 PM

You can put any of those cities in your mailing address and leave Victoria off and your mail will get to you just fine.

• Midnightly likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1652 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

You can put any of those cities in your mailing address and leave Victoria off and your mail will get to you just fine.

Then I'd strongly suggest that's what "non-amalgamationists" should do. In addition, all non-CoV residents should never tell people they live in Victoria or say "I live in Langford, just outside of Victoria". Be true to your convictions.

• John M. likes this

#1653 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 02 September 2017 - 08:57 PM

Interesting aside, my nav system requires I put in the municipality of the address I am looking for. Gets really annoying when roads run through several muni's....perhaps I should suggest that all streets be renamed at municipal boundaries.....

• Nparker likes this

#1654 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

Its the postal code that's important.

#1655 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Esquimalt Coun. Beth Burton-Krahn is hoping to keep alive options for capital region municipalities to further integrate services when local government representatives meet in Vancouver this month.

Burton-Krahn has brought a notice of motion to Esquimalt council calling for an Esquimalt delegation to meet newly minted Community Minister Selina Robinson during the upcoming Union of B.C. Municipalities convention in Vancouver. The idea will be debated by Esquimalt councillors at their next regular council meeting.

With a new minister in place since the NDP came to power, it’s important that local governments try to get some face time with Robinson, she said.

“We would be looking at just letting her know that as a township we are actively looking at other areas of further service integration between ourselves and our municipal neighbours,” Burton-Krahn said.

http://www.timescolo...tion-1.22388623

Why run off to the minister?  Forward-thinking municipalities can just do it now.  Something like Parks comes to mind.  See if you can sub-contract parks maintenance to Victoria or View Royal for a good deal.  

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 11:41 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1656 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:44 PM

Canada Post also uses Saanichton, though, which isn't even a place insofar as municipal names. I've always wondered what's up with Victoria on all the driver's licenses - it's the only place in BC that doesn't have the actual municipal names for addresses for both mailing & driver's licenses.
  • Nparker likes this

#1657 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:18 PM

Bring back Moodyville!

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 September 2017 - 04:19 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1658 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

Then I'd strongly suggest that's what "non-amalgamationists" should do. In addition, all non-CoV residents should never tell people they live in Victoria or say "I live in Langford, just outside of Victoria". Be true to your convictions.

As I alluded to before people no longer want to admit they are from Victoria, even some Victorians say they are from Saanich, people in Oak Bay never say that they are from Victoria.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1659 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

...people no longer want to admit they are from Victoria, even some Victorians say they are from Saanich...

To quote a wise man: "Yeah, right".

#1660 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

I usually say I am from "East Langford" and that impresses the hell out of people.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users