Holden West's Favorite Restaurant

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:44 PM

What is it? I'd like to try it. I love a lot of local restaurants and I'm looking for a decent burrito. I'm not satisfied with Cafe Mexico or Los Taquitos because they are not consistant. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's crap. Do you like Mexican food?

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:43 PM

Not that I don't find West's posts particularly enlightening or entertaining; but why have you chosen to ask him in particular this question?

#3 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 26 June 2007 - 07:53 PM

/\ well, he has been scientifically proven to be the most intelligent person aboard here. Can you find him in this picture of Vibrant Victorians?

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

Oh ohh! Bow tie and glasses!
I'm the guy with the center part and bending ears.

#5 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

nice ears gumgum... and yes you have correctly identified Holden! Now what about the official photographer of our group, can you name him? Or the chap feasting his adoring eyes on Holden?

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:51 PM

Well to start with, Zoomer you are the devilishly hansom bald gentleman posing next to me. And of course, since Derf in charge, he's gotta be Mr. Confident, front and center.

#7 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

wow, you really are perceptive! Yes, that is Derf with the camera, and yes I am devilishy handsome...and bald (how did you know that?)

Anyways to keep this thread on topic, as is my sworn duty as moderator; my guess for Holden's favourite restaurant is Spice Jammer or The Apple Tree restaurant in Hillside Mall (it's a toss up)

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,670 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:01 PM

Ah, yes, I was caught staring at one of the VV gals who'd just arrived for the shoot (more photos once the kiddies go to sleep -- I promise).

EDIT: I had to PC that post.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:03 PM

^^The bald thing was a lucky guess.:)
Before this thread gets back on track, I mustn't forget to insert one of the many pictures of some of the female members of VV:

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,670 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:04 PM

Hey hey, those were supposed to come out later!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:07 PM

/\ /\ nuh-ah... I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole! Even if they are sitting on one..

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:10 PM

Mr. West can set his formidable cranial power on all but the universe's most closely guarded secrets. However, when it comes to the culinary arts, his guess is as good as any. He has heard good things about Hernandez in St. Andrew's Square.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Not that I don't find West's posts particularly enlightening or entertaining; but why have you chosen to ask him in particular this question?

He seems to know his stuff and willing to express an opinion freely. I'm always interested in opinions on local restaurants. I think it's common ground for he and I.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,670 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:46 AM

Ok, I'm liking this particular topic, actually.

Anyone else want to jump into the fray and disclose their favourite place to dine? Rors?

Know it all.

#15 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

Lame as it is, Cactus Club. There is not better spot in the city to people watch, and the food is consistently good. Not great, but good every single time.

Of course for a good meal, Cafe Brio is my favourite.

And every time I'm back in Victoria, one of the first things I have is one of the veggie burgers and an order of pan fries from the Blue Fox. They've had lineups every Sunday for over ten years for a good reason.

#16 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:09 AM

My favorite restaurant is the [url=http://www.brentwoodbaylodge.com/:a37d5]Brentwood Bay Lodge[/url:a37d5]'s SeaGrille and Pub. For me it has it all. Great food and a varied menu, good service, comfortable and upscale but not ultra-fancy where you have to dress up, and a beautiful view. They have the best balance of all the best elements of Greater Victoria. It's not expensive.

Lately, my more local downtown favorite is the [url=http://qmwaterside.ca:a37d5]Queen Mother Waterside Cafe[/url:a37d5]. It has some great food and two young chefs creating some superb dishes and a varied menu with something for everyone. The kitchen smells so good in there it always stimulates my appetite just to walk in. They have good drink specials every day and discounted ($6) appys from 3 PM to 6 PM. The servers are all female and take good care of you and they are fast, polite and efficient. There is a decent water view there and a nice outdoor patio. I could probably eat there every day of the week. It's not expensive.

These are my favorites currently. I have to try Hernandez now that Holden has spoken.

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:33 AM

Pescatores, Barkleys, Harbour House (not Sooke Harbour House - I've never been there), Pablo's before it closed.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:23 AM

I went to Cafe Brio a couple of months ago and I was disappointed. The dishes didn't meet its reputation. I can get something just as good at the Yates Moxies, or Cactus Club. Plus the atmosphere seems to need some updating. Maybe it was an off night.
Pescatores is good. Il Terrazzo. Pag's. Brasserie L'Ecole. Da Tandoor. Penny Farthing has great food, although the last time I was there is was terrible for some reason. That Thai place near the futon store on Fort near Quadra. Willie's. The Keg does the best steaks. We are blessed in this town with some great restaurants.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

I went to Cafe Brio a couple of months ago and I was disappointed. The dishes didn't meet its reputation. I can get something just as good at the Yates Moxies, or Cactus Club. Plus the atmosphere seems to need some updating. Maybe it was an off night.
Pescatores is good. Il Terrazzo. Pag's. Brasserie L'Ecole. Da Tandoor. Penny Farthing has great food, although the last time I was there is was terrible for some reason. That Thai place near the futon store on Fort near Quadra. Willie's. The Keg does the best steaks. We are blessed in this town with some great restaurants.

Brasserie L'Ecole

Forgot about that one, it's very good.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 02:10 PM

^Yep, that's a good one.

There are a few restaurants (and I think Brasserie is one of them) that allow you to open up any bottle on the wine list if you agree to buy two glasses, which is appreciated by wine lovers on tight budgets who'd rather not splurge on a whole bottle.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users