Photo

Uchida (formerly Daidoco) | Victoria | 633 Courtenay St.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 osmich

osmich
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:19 PM

I needed to make a post about this gem of a place on Courtenay Street near The Bug Zoo.

Daidoco is a Japanese style deli and although they do serve some sushi items it is a very different kind of place. If you are a true sushi fan, think Tojo's Vancouver, then you will like it here.

The chef is a master in the preparation and cooking of his seafood and everything for that matter. Extremely creative use of local ingredients and the prices are a bargain, seriously.

I eat at Daidoco regularily and I am the worst critic, including of myself. They are not open for dinner or weekends.

#2 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:21 PM

I went there just a while back and couldn't agree more. I had the tuna dish and enjoyed it. Cheap, good and healthy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,815 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 08:41 PM

Yep it is a great place I am sad that I no longer work 100 m from the door and can't go there at lunch. They just have to start up on Saturdays please!!!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 09:02 PM

I agree, honestly I think it is one of the best restaurants in Victoria. The chef treats every single step of preparation as an art form. The prices are reasonable. You walk out feeling like you have done something wonderful for your body. I go there whenever I can and I wish he was open more!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 kungfucious

kungfucious
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:02 PM

ha! i beat all of you guys! i was eating there 4-5 times a week when i was working nearby... and that was in 2005! what you guys wrote about the owner is correct though. he sources his veggies from metchosin/sooke (i forget which one) and he regularly takes the ferry over to vancouver to buy his fish wholesale. i ran into him in the old parking lot cafeteria (before they made that new quay) and he recognised me!

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,815 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:13 AM

MMMM I havn't been here in months, thanks for the reminder!

#7 Van

Van
  • 87 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 11:49 PM

Closing on May 18th...

https://www.facebook...39794337&type=1

#8 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

Dammit! I loved this place. What a loss for downtown in the quick/healthy/organic category.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

That's really too bad. It was a great little sushi place.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#10 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,518 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Why do I always hear about these places after they close down?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#11 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,815 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

AGH !! No more Tuna Tataki! This is the end!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#12 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

AGH !! No more Tuna Tataki! This is the end!

I agree, that will be missed. Despite working around the corner, I only discovered Daidoco his year.

On a related note, not to toot our own horn, but I have heard from several customers that the Tuna Tataki at The Fernwood Inn rivals that of any Japanese restaurant in town.

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,130 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

turns out it's not closing down completely. it's being taken over by a guy who works there, and will do a similar menu.

#14 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Official opening Mon Jun 11. Just came back from there (soft open). Still have donburri (salmon don, tuna don, plus now negitoro and another type). Glad it's back open - it'll be great to check them out next week and onward to see what the daily specials are (menu above kitchen only covers the dons, salmon sushi & rice balls.

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Is the place still called Daidoco?

Know it all.

#16 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

oops, forgot to say the new name: uchida
(after the new owner/cook, Yasunobu Uchida)

#17 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,746 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Ok, thanks.

Know it all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users