Photo

[Downtown Victoria] The Sovereign | Condos | 11-storeys | Built - completed in 2013

Condo Commercial

• Please log in to reply
501 replies to this topic

#21 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

the half-moon thing sounds cool. 3 penthouse stories sounds like a lot for an 11-story building though.

I believe it is two double-height floors.

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 09:45 PM

The design for this project has been updated and a new rendering posted on the developers site.

The halfmoon corner Rob was referring to in an earlier post is clearly visible on to upper three floors.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 06:56 AM

Wow, this looks really nice. My only criticism and it is a common one is that I cannot stand the garage entrance.

Didn't we recently see an elevator entrance for cars somewhere that reduces the width?

#24 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 08:10 AM

^^How do you extract flash images like that?

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:06 AM

I had to take a screenshot.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:10 AM

Ah! Good trick!

#27 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

So despite a nice design, what are the chances that ANYTHING, even something magnificent, at this height will get approved by the city to be built west of Douglas Street? I am sure Pam Madoff alone will beat this one down to 6 floors or less.

#28 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

It is a nice design. But what is so phenomenal about it that it deserves to be 11 storeys in old town? The city plan, including the revised plans, calls for low-story buildings in old town. I'm not clear why that should be changed.

#29 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:41 PM

I'm not clear on how everybody is able to evaluate the quality of the design from that simple drawing?

I would really like to see this parking lot developed, but I also wonder if 11 residential stories is too tall. This is one of those rare instances when I think an arbitrary haircut of a couple of stories would actually be appropriate.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

As proposed, this would be the tallest building in the Old Town north of the Empress, yes? Or would it be basically the same height as the Belmont Building or the 1960s TD Bank at Fort and Douglas? Does anybody know for sure?

Anyway, knocking two stories off of it would surely make it shorter than the Belmont Building or the Driard facade, don't you think? Knocking even a single story off of it might also do it.

Why bother? The purpose of shortening it would be to maintain the vertical scale of the Old Town. I don't have a problem with that. In fact, I think it's a good idea.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:29 AM

Chard proposes an freight elevator to take cars down to the lower level because the site is too small for a traditional underground ramp. There are old buildings on all sides which makes full lot excavation impractical so the room they actually have to work with is limited.

The elevator would be well into the building, not at the sidewalk. In fact, I think there may be a few visitor spaces inside before the cars reach the elevator entrance but I can't remember exactly.

#32 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

The elevator which I suggested on the previous page (I must be a visionary or something) should be at the sidewalk and be just one car width so as to limit the gaping open hole in the pedestrian realm.

#33 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

This passed Committee of the Whole this morning by a vote of 5-3.

Rough massing model. Broughton view:

Fort view (showing the north/west facades):

South facade (sorry for the quality, they were shot off a projection screen at City Hall):

Looking east on Broughton:

View showing the massive impact on the skyline (ha):

#34 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

That garage entrance's width has got to be reduced. It looks like it takes up 40% of the frontage!

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

Thanks for the pictures Rob. With the exception of the garage entrance I like most of this design...still I think there is zero chance of getting something of this height approved in this location. However, I will be pleased to be wrong on this matter.

#36 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Yeah the garage is killing an otherwise very nice design.

#37 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:25 PM

^ That model isn't current anymore, is it? I thought ADP shaved a storey off the top PH portion, taking it to 2 levels vs. 3? In the drawings (which you photographed off the projections), the PH section shows only 2 levels, right?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#38 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:27 PM

Note that this change (from 3 PH levels down to 2) also changed the rectangular portion of the building, which is a storey more in the rendering vs. in the model. In the model, the rectangular portion lines up with the Yarrow Bldg to the East, but in the rendering version, it's one storey taller than the Yarrow Bldg., with the PHs one storey less. Which version is moving forward?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#39 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:29 PM

Huh, well that is the shortest 11 storey building I've ever seen. It only looks 2 storeys taller than the 6 storey building beside it!

How tall is it actually proposed to be?

#40 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

^ The Yarrow Bldg, an office building, would have higher ceilings, which makes it tall even at 6 storeys. But yeah, I wouldn't mind some feet/ meter numbers for both.

Gateway Green will be much taller than a residential building with the same # of storeys -- again, office building floor-to-ceiling heights...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users