Photo

Sam's Deli | Victoria | 805 Government St.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:00 AM

Sam's Deli, now owned by the folks who own Roger's Chocolates, serves up sandwiches and small pastries along lower Government St and Humboldt. The prices are a little high but you do get a large (and I do stress, it's large) sandwich and none of the toppings are ever skimped on. I've never before seen a sandwich come with at least five slices of meat but that's what you get (if not more) at this place. Service is quick, the ingredients are fresh and its central location offers good people watching should you want to sit on the patio. I highly recommend this place.

Btw, I thought about putting this into the "delis" forum but this isn't really a deli, per se, although that's contrary to its name.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 06:17 PM

I always avoided this place cuz I thought it was a tourist trap.
Perhaps I'll check it out.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 08:40 PM

I always avoided this place cuz I thought it was a tourist trap.
Perhaps I'll check it out.

it's good but overpriced. i used to go once in a while but now i don't think it's worth it.

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:45 AM

It's changed hands a few times in the last few years, a little pricey but you get a huge sandwich. It's been a while so I'll have to check out again.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#5 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:42 PM

I used to work here (was a night manager). Yes, it is fairly expensive for a local, but that is not the primary market. During the summer, 90% of the business comes from tour bus companies that file customers through.

As for changing hands, Sam's has done so twice. It was originally owned by Sam Bawlf, then bought by the Houssers in 1978 (Bruce until 85 and his heart attack and then Barb) and sold to Rogers Chocolates in the summer of 2004.

#6 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

^ Rogers owns Sam's Deli? So if they're also now moving into the china shop on the corner (the one that's closing), they'll have that whole Belmont Building frontage? That's interesting, isn't it? I wonder if changes to Sam's will be part of the deal of taking over the corner location in the ex-china shop...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#7 NiCoBeAN

NiCoBeAN
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 11:28 PM

I popped in for a bite to eat since I was headed to check out the new Soda Shoppe. I didn't think the price was too bad for what I got.
I don't make it downtown too often (although since i am moving to James bay that may change). Nice little place, great location!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users