BUILT
The Horizon, phase 1
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Tyee Road at Gaudin Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, townhome)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Horizon, phase 1, is a four-storey condominium building along Tyee Road at Gaudin Road in The Railyards, a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Horizon, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] The Railyards | Condos; townhomes

• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#561 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:02 AM

With SFDs so far out of reach now, and townhomes now priced where SFDs were a year ago, the only viable option today are 2BR larger condos. We’re going to see this trend shape up at Dockside, and here at the RY.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#562 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:18 AM

...the only viable option today are 2BR larger condos...

So my 900 square foot, 2 bedroom condo just became marketable again?

#563 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:28 AM

That's what I did. Bought a 500 sq/ft pre-sale unit at 834 without parking in 2009 for $198k. Lived in it a few years and it's been an excellent rental ever since then. Mind you right now I live in 1,000 sq/ft and it's 300 sq/ft too much. My ideal size is 700 sq/ft one bed+den but I was super comfortable in 500 sq/ft as well.

That just amazes me.  I'm tripping over myself in 1100sq-ft as it is.    

These bachelor places - honestly, the only time you should be sleeping within reach of the kitchen is when you're passed out on the floor after your 19th birthday party.

• Mike K., Nparker and Barrrister like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#564 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 March 2021 - 11:30 AM

With SFDs so far out of reach now, and townhomes now priced where SFDs were a year ago, the only viable option today are 2BR larger condos. We’re going to see this trend shape up at Dockside, and here at the RY.

I really like the latest crop of townhomes - two storeys over top a double-end-to-end garage but you're right, they're 5-600k now.  For me what's really important is not being able to touch opposing walls when I stretch my arms out, storage and security.  Private entry is a particularly enticing feature too.  I think I'll start a Gofundme.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#565 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

The average for townhomes in February was $682k, and that's re-sale. New-builds are ~$850k+, mostly, with duplex and triplex townhome-styled homes in the $650k-$700k range in Sooke, and even then only a handful remain as pre-sales.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#566 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 09 March 2021 - 10:07 PM

Dumb question, but with townhomes being so in demand why not just make more two-floor condos that can try to replicate that experience? Maybe put bedrooms in the bottom floor so no one has to worry about neighborly noise during bedtime. Have laundry area be under stairs to minimize sqft loss from having to have access to 2nd floor. Save on costs if you can connect the two units with woodframe then only have concrete every two levels, from the outside just having a really high floor instead of two. Would that even comply with the building code? 

Edited by Casual Kev, 09 March 2021 - 10:08 PM.

#567 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:49 PM

I did that up in Nanaimo, right by city hall on Franklyn. Nice two storey "townhouse" condos at grade. Private entrances, little patio, streetview. They had to be encapsulated with non-combustible (concrete), and the additional costs of the security for all those front doors, meant there wasn't much more profit versus the simpler apartment style condos.

Is there a market? Yes. Is it in the developer's interests to bother? Not in a hot market like we have.

~ Jasmine ~

#568 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 03:42 PM

I did that up in Nanaimo, right by city hall on Franklyn. Nice two storey "townhouse" condos at grade. Private entrances, little patio, streetview. They had to be encapsulated with non-combustible (concrete), and the additional costs of the security for all those front doors, meant there wasn't much more profit versus the simpler apartment style condos.

Is there a market? Yes. Is it in the developer's interests to bother? Not in a hot market like we have.

Interesting, thanks for the insight. In this market might as well minimax and not take any risks I guess.

• jasmineshinga likes this

#569 m3m

m3m
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 10 March 2021 - 04:46 PM

Interesting, thanks for the insight. In this market might as well minimax and not take any risks I guess.

There was a recent building in Vancouver that has several "sky lofts" like this.  I think it's a great idea. 

https://www.8xonthep...k.com/gallery/ 

• Mike K. and Dr. Barillas like this

#570 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:19 AM

New plans and documents are up on DevTracker for the final phase.  Total unit count is now 38, and there is a renewed focus on creating a visual gateway to the community.

One of the new renderings:

railyards.png

#571 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:27 AM

Yuck. I hate those elongated balconies. It looks like a motel from the 1960s.

• DavidSchell and punk cannonballer like this

#572 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:32 AM

Down from approximately 100-units, the new unit count is 38, as a grand total for the final phase of construction at Railyards?

Know it all.

#573 yellow_baron

yellow_baron
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 08:41 AM

For ease of reference -  https://tender.victo...509074829754255

Seems like 34 2 bed and TH and 4 studios. I don't mind the updated design, fits in with what's already there and they've done a good job with shielding the development from the Bay Street bridge. The unit sizes are a good mix of large bedrooms and townhomes with a few studios sprinkled in here are there. 

#574 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 14 May 2021 - 09:06 AM

Down from approximately 100-units, the new unit count is 38, as a grand total for the final phase of construction at Railyards?

The new/revised letter to the city indicates "A decrease of 106 residential units to a total of 38 units with 90% 2 bedroom family-oriented and 10% studio units", so that means that they were previously proposed 144 units.  They are reducing parking to 55 units which would still seem to be ample for the development. 

The letter can be found here:  https://tender.victo...509074829754255

• Mike K. likes this

#575 TheCesspit

TheCesspit
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 09:24 AM

Disappointed this is more expensive for most people 2 bedroom places or tiny studios - no 1 bedrooms for working couples? Oh well.

#576 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 10:14 AM

Disappointed this is more expensive for most people 2 bedroom places or tiny studios - no 1 bedrooms for working couples? Oh well.

The good news :  if you're in the market for a pre-completion 1-bedroom condo in the City of Victoria, there are several developments offering units in this size category including:

• Haven/Nest
  • Dockside Green (next phases)
  • Mod
  • Capital Park
  • Bellewood Park
  • The Redfern
  • Treesah

If the Cook/Pendergast project by Aragon is approved, that will offer another option.

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 17 May 2021 - 04:18 PM

Yup, plenty on offer. Check out https://victoria.citified.ca/condos/ and play around with the toggles.

Know it all.

#578 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 May 2021 - 03:34 PM

This is going to CotW on Thursday June 3.
  • Mike K. likes this

#579 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 02:19 PM

Phase 3 is going to Council for final approval on Thursday July 15.  It is not a public hearing as only a development permit is being sought...

• Mike K. likes this

#580 laconic

laconic
  • 741 posts

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:38 PM

There has been some equipment onsite for the last several weeks, including a large excavator.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users