BUILT
The Horizon, phase 1
Uses: condo, townhome
Address: Tyee Road at Gaudin Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, townhome)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
The Horizon, phase 1, is a four-storey condominium building along Tyee Road at Gaudin Road in The Railyards, a... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Horizon, phase 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[Vic West] The Railyards | Condos; townhomes

• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#121 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thank you for the confirmation :)

Welcome to VV, Mr. B.

No problem :)... l wondered what was on sale as well, took a closer look last time l walked by.

Thanks Mike K, glad to be here!

• Mike K. likes this

#122 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'm not sure about Skyline and Bridgeport being one building or several but I can definitely find this out.

l'm curious to see what the concept is for 'Skyline' and 'Bridgeport', seeing that Bond's Landing is now selling at a discounted price, there obviously isn't a huge need for 2 more apartment buildings in the area... at least not in the near future.

Would be unfortunate to see the corner at Bay & Tyee remain as piles of dirt for years to come.  Hope they at least landscape the park and bridge easement areas.

#123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

I wonder if one of those buildings will be built as a rental first. Lefevre is no stranger to rentals and Vic West would be a perfect spot for a rental building (which can always be converted to market condos at some point in the future). I suppose it all depends what the carrying cost is for the remainder of the property.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#124 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

Per their Facebook page, there's just one unit left in Phase II of Bond's Landing.

Correction - only one loft unit left.

Edited by KAS, 20 February 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

The community is really starting to feel "lived in," if you will. As things continue this will become an even more eclectic little area within Vic West, but it's too bad that commercial is unsustainable at this point and likely for several more years to come.

Central Spur Road

The-Railyards-March-22-2014.jpg

Construction on another two rows of harbour homes continues. The project will stem all the way to the Bay Street bridge.

The-Railyards-construction-March-22-2014.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#126 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 22 March 2014 - 03:55 PM

There's currently only commercial built into the row of lofts between Central Spur and the Goose.  There's the bike shop, and the BC Freshwater Fisheries offices - both of which have been there for the last few years.  The bike shop, in particular is a going concern, especially in the summer.  

Was there other commercial planned for the other phases?  I can see it being more viable in the buildings planned for closer to the intersection with Skinner/Tyee/Bay - just for visibility alone.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:07 PM

Initially there was a cafe at the eastern end of the two-storey commercial building but it failed not long after opening. I should have clarified that I meant commercial as in a cafe or mini restaurant. My bad.

It would be fantastic if street-front commercial space were built along Tyee as there really isn't anything worthwhile along the entire street. Both Upper Harbour Place phases botched urban street-front retail and West Side Village is a complete disaster with its 60's era frontage (it's as bad as Uptown). Dockside Green has that alternative medical clinic and that's about it for a major street in Vic West.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#128 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,783 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

March 28th, 2014.

IMG_6213.JPG

IMG_6210.JPG

IMG_6206.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_6192.JPG

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#129 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

the next townhouse block should start this week

#130 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:35 AM

the next townhouse block should start this week

Is this the last row of townhouses? Looks to me like there are still two apartment/condo buildings remaining.

Railyards_illust_plan5-Version-2.jpg

#131 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

There should be about four or five condos left.

Know it all.

#132 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:51 AM

It's kind of hard to count because most of the buildings are connected in some way. Which building is Bond's Landing?

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

That is a very old site plan which no longer applies, particularly those connectors between buildings.

Bonds would be #3 or #4 from the top opposite the second cluster of townhomes. So perhaps this leaves possibly 3 more condos to go. I can confirm the details today though.

Know it all.

#134 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,635 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 08:58 AM

Hope no one here happens to live there and is offended but I have to say the family was walking our dog down in that development the other night on the `water`side, IOW we were walking right through the development for the first time. From Bay Street and the bridge it looks like a quasi cool, semi-Granville Island like development but maaaaaan once you get down along the walkway paralleling the water this is one fugly build out. Painting hundreds of meters of chain link fence a flat black cant disguise the fact it is, after all, a chain link fence. It comes across as very sterile`and uninviting, almost institutional; there is no privacy in the `front`yards or deck areas and in less than 5 minutes we saw no less than 3 deals being consummated involving both suspicious characters and various `funny smelling substances so I presume these weren't Tupperware gatherings. `Dodgy`was the frame of reference that came immediately to my mind when thinking of the area.

I was frankly expecting and prepared for something much better and was genuinely disappointed. This is no Granville Island to be sure. Perhaps once it is completely built out, fully occupied and the community has a chance to mature a bit it may be better. Above all I was surprised at the lack of landscaping to incorporate better interaction between the housing element and the waterfront. Aside from a couple of small docks it is 98% inaccessible and essentially lifeless.

#135 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

That is a very old site plan which no longer applies, particularly those connectors between buildings.

Bonds would be #3 or #4 from the top opposite the second cluster of townhomes. So perhaps this leaves possibly 3 more condos to go. I can confirm the details today though.

Cool - thanks!

#136 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:04 AM

The problem is the Goose. It attracts so many seedy types at all hours of the day and night that Railyards had to install the fencing to keep them off people's properties. It's too bad, but the powers that be dare never to take a hard lined approach to things like that and dealing drugs or consuming them on public or private property isn't followed up with enough enforcement.

But before we forget, the pathway there is private property. The developer could close down access between the bridge and the trestle should he choose too and those fences would come down. So it's either one or the other but clearly our society cannot have both.

Know it all.

#137 KAS

KAS
  • 140 posts
  • LocationVic West

Posted 10 June 2014 - 09:54 AM

I'll admit to living there in one of the condo buildings - and I'm not offended by your observations.  It's not for nothing that I've heard the Goose referred to as the crime super highway.  We've had our 'secure' parking garage broken into twice so far this year.  Local rumour has it that someone broke into the lobby of the neighbouring building and stole the security camera before they stole some other stuff.  There is frequent police activity down around there.  From the safety of my living room, it's interesting. 

Last I heard, there is supposed to be a pathway connection between the Goose and Central Spur down by the Bay St bridge, along with a park. 

While the pathway is on developer property, I seem to recall that it's an amenity Lefevre promised to the City, along with that boat launch and the lookout.  Given the hullabaloo surrounding the Wave mosaic, I can't imaging what would happen if the stratas all got together and voted to close access to the Goose!

• AllseeingEye likes this

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,617 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 11:26 AM

There needs to be far, far more patrol of the Goose by police. It really is a "crime superhighway" as you refer to it but this is lost on our politicians and the VicPD. Which is strange considering Councillor Gudgeon lives on Arthur Currie overlooking the Goose.

Know it all.

#139 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:09 PM

I'll admit to living there in one of the condo buildings - and I'm not offended by your observations.  It's not for nothing that I've heard the Goose referred to as the crime super highway.  We've had our 'secure' parking garage broken into twice so far this year.  Local rumour has it that someone broke into the lobby of the neighbouring building and stole the security camera before they stole some other stuff.  There is frequent police activity down around there.  From the safety of my living room, it's interesting. 

Last I heard, there is supposed to be a pathway connection between the Goose and Central Spur down by the Bay St bridge, along with a park. 

While the pathway is on developer property, I seem to recall that it's an amenity Lefevre promised to the City, along with that boat launch and the lookout.  Given the hullabaloo surrounding the Wave mosaic, I can't imaging what would happen if the stratas all got together and voted to close access to the Goose!

Given the amenity will likely be a public park dedication to a public road, I doubt that stratas could close it even if they wanted to.

#140 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 June 2014 - 12:23 PM

Is this the last row of townhouses?

The last row of townhouses that concorde is referring to should be the last one before the little park shown in that now well-outdated picture. I believe there will be around 7 units in that row, give or take a few.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users