BUILT
Hudson Walk One
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 755 Caledonia Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 16
Hudson Walk One is a 16-storey mixed-use rental tower with a commercial ground floor situated at the Hudson Di... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Walk One on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Walk | Rentals; commercial | Phase 1: 16-storeys | Built - completed in 2016 | Phase 2: 15-storeys

Office Commercial Rental

• Please log in to reply
1227 replies to this topic

#1221 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 160 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Dear VHF,

The popularity of Hudson District was proven once again this weekend with the successful opening of our newest 16-storey, purpose-built rental, Hudson Walk Two, resulting in 55% of our Urban Rental Suites being leased!

Excitement levels were unmistakeable all weekend as students, professionals, downsizers and retirees toured our display suite and met our team, with high hopes of securing their top home choice in what’s becoming known as Victoria’s tightest rental housing market in history.

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

#1222 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

A) Family money
B) Many granduate students are employed in their field, some are paid handsomely.
C) 2 bedroom at 2k per month with 2 students working on the side plus savings from co-ops and summer jobs is't too much of a stretch.
C 2) Also, two students who are a couple sharing a 1 bedroom is probably less rent that you paid, after adjusting to 2017 dollars.
D) ROTP / Medical OTP. Commissioned officers in the military going to school full time, being paid a decent salary. (A very good salary if it was a commission from the ranks)

Just to name a few.

#1223 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 756 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Heck, two or three students sharing a 1BR wouldn't be out of the question, based on what folks do in Toronto or Vancouver...

#1224 aastra

aastra
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

What do they do?

#1225 dasmo

dasmo
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

I shared a three bedroom in Ottawa with seven people. The guy in the stairwell with the electrical cord for power only paid $100. It was fine in the spring and summer.... 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1226 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Burnside-Gorge

• 3,676 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

There are still plenty of apartments available under $1K. You just have to rough it and not be downtown, or have ensuite washer and dryer.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

...You just have to rough it and not be downtown, or have ensuite washer and dryer.

Sounds like third world conditions to me.  :huh:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan

Super Moderator

• 44,428 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

International students have lots of money.
  • lanforod likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users