BUILT
Hudson Walk Two
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 755 Caledonia Ave
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 15
Hudson Walk Two is a 15-storey mixed-use rental tower with a commercial ground floor. The building is situated... (view full profile)
Learn more about Hudson Walk Two on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Hudson Walk | Rentals; commercial | Phase 1: 16-storeys | Built - completed in 2016 | Phase 2: 15-storeys | Built - completed in 2017

Office Commercial Rental

• Please log in to reply
1266 replies to this topic

#1221 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:31 PM

Dear VHF,

The popularity of Hudson District was proven once again this weekend with the successful opening of our newest 16-storey, purpose-built rental, Hudson Walk Two, resulting in 55% of our Urban Rental Suites being leased!

Excitement levels were unmistakeable all weekend as students, professionals, downsizers and retirees toured our display suite and met our team, with high hopes of securing their top home choice in what’s becoming known as Victoria’s tightest rental housing market in history.

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

#1222 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:53 PM

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

A) Family money
B) Many granduate students are employed in their field, some are paid handsomely.
C) 2 bedroom at 2k per month with 2 students working on the side plus savings from co-ops and summer jobs is't too much of a stretch.
C 2) Also, two students who are a couple sharing a 1 bedroom is probably less rent that you paid, after adjusting to 2017 dollars.
D) ROTP / Medical OTP. Commissioned officers in the military going to school full time, being paid a decent salary. (A very good salary if it was a commission from the ranks)

Just to name a few.

#1223 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:10 PM

Heck, two or three students sharing a 1BR wouldn't be out of the question, based on what folks do in Toronto or Vancouver...

#1224 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

What do they do?

#1225 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:19 PM

I shared a three bedroom in Ottawa with seven people. The guy in the stairwell with the electrical cord for power only paid $100. It was fine in the spring and summer.... 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#1226 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

There are still plenty of apartments available under $1K. You just have to rough it and not be downtown, or have ensuite washer and dryer.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1227 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

...You just have to rough it and not be downtown, or have ensuite washer and dryer.

Sounds like third world conditions to me.  :huh:

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1228 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:40 PM

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

International students have lots of money.
  • lanforod likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1229 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

Out of curiosity, has Hudson Walk 2 announced their expected occupancy date?

#1230 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

Yes, residents will be moving in at the start of August.

The sales centre will close today, actually. Only a single unit remains (one of the penthouses available for $3,100/month).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1231 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

Students looking at $1450/month one-bedrooms?! How can they afford it? When I got my first apartment as a student 8 1/2 years ago, I paid $600 for a one-bedroom. Granted, it was an illegal basement suite with a hot plate and convection oven instead of a proper kitchen, but the rent never went up in the four or five years I was there.

My friend was looking into this tower because when he phoned they said bachelors were 900,  come down to the sales centre and register.  So, we went down.  It was a line up out the door and we were the only non-asian non-teen-with-parents in the line.  Everyone else were teens on their own or usually with parents signing up.  Finally we got to talk to someone who told him no no, there's no $900 bachelors, they start at $1200.  So we left.

But to answer your question,  the students that can afford this are international students or other students getting a free ride from wealthy parents.

Edited by Baro, 29 June 2017 - 10:37 AM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1232 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Bachelor pricing started at $995 and I can imagine the lowest-priced units were very quickly snatched up by folks at the beginning of the line-up.

The make-up of the building is actually mostly 30-to-50-year-old working professionals and 65+ retirees. I'd say maybe 20% are students, but then some of who I'd imagine are students could very well be mid-to-late 20-somethings who are already in the workforce. Some of them, of course, would need mom and dad to co-sign. There's a certain threshold you need to pass financially-speaking to rent in that tower and younger folks may have required a second signature.

Edit: oh, I forgot to say that there aren't that many international students in the building. Maybe 10 suites?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1233 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:44 AM

Weird, we must have come down maybe during a special sign-up afternoon just for students.  The staff they had on hand were all bilingual in mandarin to make things easier.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#1234 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

I know someone (late 20s) who relocated to Victoria from out of town for work reasons... he's leasing at Hudson Walk One.

#1235 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

Lots of looky-loo's, I think. They brought in a lot of staff from their Vancouver offices due to the huge volume of people who had signed up.

For Hudson Walk Two I didn't see those staff, only the Victoria-based crew were in the leasing centre (at least following the grand opening day).

Know it all.

#1236 Prom2

Prom2
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Any update on the new PUB at this location?  This is still a GO... and under construction inside ?.  Potential date of opening ?

#1237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

Any update on the new PUB at this location?  This is still a GO... and under construction inside ?.  Potential date of opening ?

It's hard to tell if there is an activity behind the paper-covered windows.

#1238 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:23 PM

Some sort of rezoning was required to allow a brewpub. Do we know if that has been granted or even officially requested by the proponent?

#1239 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:32 PM

Last I chequed with Dan, he said everything has been okayed.
  • jonny likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1240 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

When it was first announced, I think they were targeting an opening date in early 2018. Haven't heard anything new, though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users