Photo

[Bicycles] Issues with bicycles and cyclists in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
2302 replies to this topic

#101 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

I counted nine cyclists on my two minute walk to work this morning (on a day that would definitely appeal to fair weather riders). More interestingly, I noted about three dozen bikes parked in various sidewalk bike racks. You know what I did not notice? Three dozen available parking slots. One thing to remember is that those who do drive downtown and want street parking for errands, should be very pleased that there are a lot of commuters and an even greater number of folks running errands doing so by bicycle - because the drivers are also direct beneficiaries of this.

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

^right but they all converge on the bridge.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

^right but they all converge on the bridge.

Not sure what you mean by that. Obviously the bridge is a main conduit to the Goose, but there are a lot of bike riders who live downtown, or in Cook Street Village, or James Bay, or Fernwood who never cross that bridge.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

My mistake, I was responding to Corey's post and not yours. I missed an additional ^ thingy.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

^15 seconds to walk across the bridge?

Mike, next time you are crossing the bridge during peak periods stop for 10 minutes and see if 30 or so bikes go by.

I have never crossed the bridge at rush hour times but at the times I have crossed it I have yet to see a cyclist in the 30 or so crossings I have done.

I would suggest crossing with your eyes open. It's safer for cyclists that way!

#106 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

I'm flabbergasted that in the middle of winter the CRD estimates 2,700 cyclists are riding along our streets.

The estimate is debatable, the count is not.

I think you missed my point.

It's not practical to have cycling infrastructure on every street unless you want your taxes to burst.

Did i say every street? Nope I said arterial streets. That is completely feasible and compared to the spending on vehicle infrastructure the expense will be low. Hardly tax busting.

The point I was making wqs that my quickest route to the office took me along streets that were ideal for me, not cycling infrastructure. I had two cycling routes with dedicated infrastructure for much of the way available to me but that eventually played second fiddle to getting to the office faster.

Right, so best of both worlds is cycling infrastructure on the efficient and direct routes. Get to it Victoria!

Edited by pherthyl, 30 July 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

I would suggest crossing with your eyes open. It's safer for cyclists that way!

Well I haven't hit any cyclists so I guess they weren't there.

• weirdie likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#108 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Something occurred to me as I was driving down Mckenzie the other day.

We have dedicated and physically separated infrastructure for pedestrians on almost every major road.  When a new road is built, it would be unthinkable if it didn't include a sidewalk, and quite bizarre if that sidewalk wasn't raised above the road surface.   Has the proliferation of sidewalks busted our taxes?  How much is spent on sidewalks every year?  Millions I'm sure.   Drive down just about any road with a sidewalk outside of the downtown core though and vehicle traffic outnumbers pedestrians hundreds to one.

Yet where is all the *****ing about sidewalks?   It seems society has accepted that it's a good idea to build safe pedestrian infrastructure on everything but the quiet residential streets.  Why not the same acceptance of cycle lanes? 

• seymour201 likes this

#109 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

^I guess it is because the infrastructure is already there and it was built for handling vehicles and pedestrians.

To introduce a new user means one of the existing users is going to be impacted.

I suspect any new roadway built would also include bike lanes.

I agree in rural areas the sidewalks are mostly vacant, I wonder if a sidewalk on one side of the street could be used for cycling. Or paint sharrows on them and put a speed limit restriction in place.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#110 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

Something occurred to me as I was driving down Mckenzie the other day.

We have dedicated and physically separated infrastructure for pedestrians on almost every major road.  When a new road is built, it would be unthinkable if it didn't include a sidewalk, and quite bizarre if that sidewalk wasn't raised above the road surface.   Has the proliferation of sidewalks busted our taxes?  How much is spent on sidewalks every year?  Millions I'm sure.   Drive down just about any road with a sidewalk outside of the downtown core though and vehicle traffic outnumbers pedestrians hundreds to one.

Yet where is all the *****ing about sidewalks?   It seems society has accepted that it's a good idea to build safe pedestrian infrastructure on everything but the quiet residential streets.  Why not the same acceptance of cycle lanes? 

Fair question.  But I don't think we've ever suggested pedestrians should be integrated on the road with cars.  I mean, in reality, we have plenty of roads with no sidewalks.  But they are minor streets*.  But as far back as I can remember, I've been taught as a bicyclist to share the road with cars, just like cars would share the road with any other slow-moving vehicle.

*Yet on major streets, like Pat Bay Highway, we have no sidewalk.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Half of Saanich has no sidewalks and many new subdivisions don't either.

Bicycles have historically shared the road with vehicles the world over. It's only in the last 15 years as gas prices began to rise and people started looking at alternative means of transport have we entered a new phase of infrastructure construction.

That being said, the case for sidewalks is pretty strong: 99.9% of the population makes use of a sidewalk even if for a very brief moment each day.

Know it all.

#112 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

Half of Saanich has no sidewalks and many new subdivisions don't either.

Yup, the east side of Saanich is pretty barren of sidewalks.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

And the west. If there are sidewalks they're mostly in central areas and along major thoroughfares only. Many feeder streets have sidewalks on one side of the road only ...if they have them at all.

Know it all.

#114 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

I'm dogsitting right now.  The neighbourhood has a mix of roads both with and without sidewalks.  I prefer walking on the roads with sidewalks.  There's more room and the dog doesn't have to walk on the sharp gravel that makes up the road-end of many of the driveways on the roads without sidewalks. 

There are also no mud puddles on the sidewalks in the rainy seasons. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#115 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

And the west. If there are sidewalks they're mostly in central areas and along major thoroughfares only. Many feeder streets have sidewalks on one side of the road only ...if they have them at all.

Exactly.  They're not needed on every quiet residential street because those streets are fine just to walk beside.  But they are needed on the main roads.  Same logic applies for bike lanes.

#116 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:28 PM

I'm concerned that seberry seems to be settling into a dog-sitting career.  When we are all subpoenaed to testify at congressional hearings, his testimony might not be strong.

• sebberry likes this

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:18 AM

Exactly. They're not needed on every quiet residential street because those streets are fine just to walk beside. But they are needed on the main roads. Same logic applies for bike lanes.

We have them on main roads already, but main roads are not always the most efficient routes for cyclists. And therein is the problem.

Know it all.

#118 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:56 PM

I'm concerned that seberry seems to be settling into a dog-sitting career.  When we are all subpoenaed to testify at congressional hearings, his testimony might not be strong.

The Americans would have to extradite me first, so I'm not worried.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#119 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:17 PM

The Americans would have to extradite me first, so I'm not worried.

That's what Marc Emery said.

#120 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

We have them on main roads already, but main roads are not always the most efficient routes for cyclists. And therein is the problem.

Eh?  We certainly don't have bike lanes on many if not most of the main roads.  Shelbourne being the obvious example.  

And main roads in most cases are the most efficient routes for cyclists.  Main roads are where they are because they are efficient routes.  Whether you are driving or cycling makes no difference.

Edited by pherthyl, 04 August 2014 - 02:39 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users