Photo

Victoria Rapid Transit Project - CRD/BC Transit - Light Rail (LRT) has been recommended

• Please log in to reply
1311 replies to this topic

#1161 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:37 AM

Or connected autonomous electric cars and buses with priority lanes...

Edited by dasmo, 05 January 2016 - 10:38 AM.

#1162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:00 AM

Ya that's coming Dasmo, it's gonna fix a lot of things.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1163 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,490 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

I'd be ok with electric autonomous busses on the E&N. They should just wait for that. The tech is now it's only regulations and manufacturing that is in the way. Then it's just paint and software keeping it on the track. It can also cross the bridge! There won't be a tired bike hater in control to buzz the bikes either. Just a vehicle supervisor...
  • thundergun likes this

#1164 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

I have advocated paving the E&N line and running buses on that track for years.

#1165 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:38 AM

IMO it really takes the most illogical route, and it's so tight it would likely have to be a 1 way route.  BRT down the TCH, Colwood Crawl and to Canwest interchange makes more sense to me.  If it takes the roadway down to 1 lane each way, so be it.

#1166 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

It'd probably have the same speed limit issues as the existing track and also it's probably too narrow. On top of that apparently you can't build anything through the reserve on that right of way.

#1167 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:49 PM

IMO it really takes the most illogical route, and it's so tight it would likely have to be a 1 way route.  BRT down the TCH, Colwood Crawl and to Canwest interchange makes more sense to me.  If it takes the roadway down to 1 lane each way, so be it.

Hmmm, you are the first person I've heard who was selling to defend the TCH as a useful bus route. What is the advantage over the E&N?  I think bus routes are best where there are people and potential growth along the route, and I'd argue along the highway out of town is not the best place.  

The E&N goes through Esquimalt (which has lots of growth potential in my opinion), Meets the TCH at Burnside, and then goes through downtown Langford.  It also goes right past the Esquimalt docks, one of the largest employment centers in the region.  A quick look on Google Maps doesn't make it look too narrow to me.

• dasmo likes this

#1168 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:03 PM

It would have to be two way the whole way. The buses could pass each other at stations or pullouts where there is space for two way.

#1169 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 01:10 PM

It'd probably have the same speed limit issues as the existing track and also it's probably too narrow. On top of that apparently you can't build anything through the reserve on that right of way.

That's just a money thing.  Give the band enough money, and you can build through it.

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1170 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

Hmmm, you are the first person I've heard who was selling to defend the TCH as a useful bus route. What is the advantage over the E&N?  I think bus routes are best where there are people and potential growth along the route, and I'd argue along the highway out of town is not the best place.  

The E&N goes through Esquimalt (which has lots of growth potential in my opinion), Meets the TCH at Burnside, and then goes through downtown Langford.  It also goes right past the Esquimalt docks, one of the largest employment centers in the region.  A quick look on Google Maps doesn't make it look too narrow to me.

Uptown, and straight down the current (sort of) Douglas BRT lanes.  Also the speed you could do on the TCH and colwood crawl is IMO higher than what you could do stopping at every little road on the E&N route through view royal and Esq.  I guess you could reprioritize intersections along the entire route except the Songhees part but that must be more costly than just repurposing TCH lanes that are already there/the province is putting in as part of the McKenzie project.

#1171 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:06 PM

jonny, on 05 Jan 2016 - 2:03 PM, said:

It would have to be two way the whole way. The buses could pass each other at stations or pullouts where there is space for two way.

II think you could do it one way carrying passengers and then dead head back for its next run at a higher speed with no stops.  It is a commuter bus, 7am to noon - head into Victoria, noon to 6pm head out of Victoria. Anyone that doesn't use it as a commuter will have the pleasure of driving on uncongested roads.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1172 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:04 PM

I have advocated paving the E&N line and running buses on that track for years.

This section of the E&N Trail East of Helmcken is ready to go.

You just need to kick off the pedestrians and cyclists, and then build a few more access ramps and some pullouts.

OR

You run buses on the tracks with those lifting train wheels front and back.

When you need to get off the rails you lift the wheels and drive on the road.

IMG_1991.jpg

#1173 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

That's just a money thing.  Give the band enough money, and you can build through it.

The first thing they need to do is upgrade their road crossings for cycle safety.

IMG_1953_1.jpg

#1174 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

Uptown, and straight down the current (sort of) Douglas BRT lanes.  Also the speed you could do on the TCH and colwood crawl is IMO higher than what you could do stopping at every little road on the E&N route through view royal and Esq.  I guess you could reprioritize intersections along the entire route except the Songhees part but that must be more costly than just repurposing TCH lanes that are already there/the province is putting in as part of the McKenzie project.

when i took the train in 2008 i clocked it at 23mins between vic and langford. They are already putting in new crossing gates at many of the roads along the line. the E&N has better potential to encourage proper dense development than along the TCH. there are more intersections and lights along the TCH route than crossings along the E&N. if the whole point is to just get people between the westshore and downtown at rush hour, then the E&N would work. BC Transit is putting all its eggs in one transportation corridor basket.

• Bingo likes this

#1175 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:12 PM

They are already putting in new crossing gates at many of the roads along the line.

The E&N has better potential to encourage proper dense development than along the TCH.

There are more intersections and lights along the TCH route than crossings along the E&N.

Good to see you back UrbanRail.

See more about rail upgrades here; http://vibrantvictor...nada-en/page-19

#1176 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

Good to see you back UrbanRail.

See more about rail upgrades here; http://vibrantvictor...nada-en/page-19

thanks i was around, just a little busy, got married last august, busy with school

#1177 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:16 PM

Maybe we could get something like this....

https://www.youtube....bed/ON1j2TJCoQU

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1178 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 08:27 PM

Apparently MOT could be releasing something related to the Douglas BRT within the next two weeks. For the portion north of Tolmie. Apparently it relies on land acquisition which i think means going to 3 lanes a side. Hopefully the bus lane will be dedicated full time as part of the full brt project.

#1179 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:42 PM

Not quite rapid transit but hey...

A new high-end bus service will start running between Langford and downtown Victoria next month.

Langford has entered into an agreement with Wilson Transportation to establish the Langtoria Greenline service, which will start with one bus with a capacity of 50 passengers.

Mayor Stew Young says they're hoping the service will ease some of the congestion that will ramp up when work begins on the new McKenzie Interchange.

#1180 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

Langtoria is the up and coming neighbour.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users