Photo

Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#821 DavidL

DavidL
  • 203 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

This isn't a price post, or I guess it is sort of, but there's a certain landlord in James Bay who has two buildings, each with 12 units, and he's busy evicting tenants under the "family use" clause, and so far we've found four of the units on AirBNB.  He gives tenants the option of a 25 percent rent increase for six months and then another 25 percent increase, or eviction.  That's the kind of landlord bullshit that puts people on the streets.  

If only there was something the city could do, like, I don't know, perhaps enforcing their land use bylaws with respect to short term rentals.  Maybe they're too busy drafting a new regulatory regime to put legitimate operators out of business to tend to such mundane zoning bylaw violations.  If we had the addresses we could quickly find out if in fact this is being done and see if the city is willing to do something about it. 

As has been mentioned above an RTB dispute over both the rental increase demand and the notice to end tenancy would be quite straightforward.

• Baro, jonny and Janion Fan like this

#822 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Yikes, that might backfire. Forcing someone to maintain rent for a five year period is not much different than forcing someone out and turning the unit over to AirBnB. This landlord should introduce one-year leases if he wants to eventually turn units over to AirBnB.

Well you start at 5 years and then wind up wherever you want when you negotiate.

I don't know the two buildings being discussed nor obviously do I know the owner. I know several people who purchase and run these types of buildings though. They rely on their tenants either not knowing the rules, not having the means to fight the changes and/or being afraid that they will be evicted if they raise a stink. The only effective way to fight these bullies is to push back. The landlords don't really care if one person goes to the RTB as they have enough experience and legal backing to wiggle out of the complaint. Going public with a systemic issue as described (assuming it is true) risks broader attention that they don't want. 

#823 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

erm, so now you're saying going public is the way they should go, but not the way you yourself would go?

• jonny likes this

#824 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

Well you start at 5 years and then wind up wherever you want when you negotiate.

I don't know the two buildings being discussed nor obviously do I know the owner. I know several people who purchase and run these types of buildings though. They rely on their tenants either not knowing the rules, not having the means to fight the changes and/or being afraid that they will be evicted if they raise a stink. The only effective way to fight these bullies is to push back. The landlords don't really care if one person goes to the RTB as they have enough experience and legal backing to wiggle out of the complaint. Going public with a systemic issue as described (assuming it is true) risks broader attention that they don't want. 

I don't mind revealing who the scumbag landlord is, or the addresses of the buildings.  You're right, people aren't aware of their rights.  This joker made an 81 year old woman move out and try and find a place in this rental market.  I am not a resident but someone I am related to is, and she told me that now the landlord changed the lock on the laundry room door and didn't give anyone keys to it.  He put a fictitious address on his eviction notice for a residence he was pulling down, hence his need for "family" tenancy, and he doesn't even own that building.  His residence is another building.  I have no issue with people who want to AirBNB out a room in their house or who build a garden suite and want to short term rent it.  Not a problem.  But evicting the tenants of two buildings under a flimsy "family occupancy" reason is just completely morally and ethically wrong.  We plan on public shaming.  

• Nparker likes this

#825 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Well, give us the address. You can start here.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#826 peanutflower

peanutflower
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

Well, give us the address. You can start here.

What would you do if the address was provided?  Now the "deal" is a 30 percent rent increase to be able to stay.  Until May, and then another 30 percent increase.  

#827 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

What would you do if the address was provided?  Now the "deal" is a 30 percent rent increase to be able to stay.  Until May, and then another 30 percent increase.  

Somebody said shaming would help.  You post the address here, soon enough someone will see it, maybe even offer qualified help to tenants.  Like TAPS, for example.  Or another tenant rights advocacy group.  They are good at these types of issues.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 August 2017 - 06:54 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#828 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Has this already been posted here?

https://renx.ca/vict...t-developments/

“Victoria has one of the older median populations in all of Canada,” he said. “These people are faced with a difficult situation. They’re relocating to the town, but the quality of the rental apartments doesn’t match the quality of their financial statements.

https://renx.ca/char...-wave-victoria/

He said that wave is being fuelled by a strong economy province-wide. “And we have a good economy in Victoria. The tech sector, the construction sector, ship-building — those are really fuelling the demand right now.”

Edited by aastra, 16 August 2017 - 11:24 AM.

• jonny likes this

#829 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

https://renx.ca/vict...t-developments/

https://renx.ca/char...-wave-victoria/

Wait, they move here without knowing what housing they can get with their income?
  • aastra and Nparker like this

#830 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:05 PM

One incident I've heard recently is a couple retired to Victoria from the prairies. Their financial advisor advised them about 1.5-2 years ago not to buy real-estate because Victoria was in a bubble. And they just had to vacate their rental apartment because the owners needed to move back in.

Oops.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#831 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:22 PM

^which is why I would never rent from a private owner.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#832 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

In this case the folks have money so they won't be negatively impacted in the grand scheme of things, but I guess they should consider finding some local investor talent if they intend to stay here. Mr. Regina led them a little bit astray.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#833 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

One incident I've heard recently is a couple retired to Victoria from the prairies. Their financial advisor advised them about 1.5-2 years ago not to buy real-estate because Victoria was in a bubble. And they just had to vacate their rental apartment because the owners needed to move back in.

Oops.

Why would retirees want to purchase property? Statistically they would never finish paying it off.

#834 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

Generally they pay it off with cash the first day...
  • Nparker, sebberry, jonny and 1 other like this

#835 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

Generally they pay it off with cash the first day...

Ok then it just becomes a bad investment. Rent and spend the cash you have enjoying your golden years. 

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#836 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

I was thinking earlier tonight that Mrs. Sparky and I should sell all of our assets and spend the rest of our lives just spending the money.

Luckily I am of the age that by the time I wake up in the morning I will have forgotten that stupid idea.
  • Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 2 others like this

#837 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

Ok then it just becomes a bad investment. Rent and spend the cash you have enjoying your golden years. 

Yeah, we don't need to get into the whole 'own vs rent' argument. From a pure investment standpoint, Victoria is NOT the place to retire to.

#838 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Although folks are retiring younger and younger these days. I can't speak to the age of the couple I mentioned above, but they were definitely dealt a blow by failing to buy and ...realizing prices are way above where they were when they first arrived.

Know it all.

#839 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

The trick is getting your money and your life to run out at the same time. If I die by next Tuesday I will have succeeded.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 5 others like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#840 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:01 PM

The more I talk to people, the more I am convinced that Victoria will never again have affordable housing the same way we knew it in the past.

Single family houses are for people that already have an equity.

Entry level ownership for the most part will be as a part of a strata. Still not cheap.

The demand for rental accommodation is driving that product out of some people's reach.
  • Matt R. and tedward like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)