Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1871 replies to this topic

#841 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

A LOT of money is changing hands here in Canada, in the US, in China. Of course people are gonna buy real estate. It's all good. Home ownership costs in Manhattan is outrageous but they stil have coffee shop workers.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 17 August 2017 - 09:05 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#842 jessief

jessief
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:33 AM

Maximum allowable rent increase for 2018 will now be 4%, up from 3.7% in 2017 and 2.9% in 2016.
http://www2.gov.bc.c.../rent-increases

Edited by jessief, 25 August 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#843 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:23 PM

Unless the urbanization movement reverses, high housing costs are here to stay for the vast majority of Canadians who choose to live in cities.
  • Midnightly likes this

#844 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

BC-housing-minister-to-review-annual-rental-increase-formula.jpg
As cranes dot the downtown Victoria skyline, rental housing industry advocacy group LandlordBC warns the supply of purpose-built rental housing could slow if the provincial government enacts further rent control measures.

BC housing minister to review annual rental rate increase formula

http://victoria.citi...crease-formula/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#845 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:37 PM

While all but two of the tenants in the 13-unit Thornwood Manor apartment building at 1028 Inverness Rd. have moved out, Brent Summerfield remains.

The Thornwood Manor tenant of 12 years has a Sept. 20 telephone hearing with the Residential Tenancy Branch and a representative of the new owner, VPEA.ca, to dispute a Sept. 1 eviction he calls a renoviction. The only other remaining tenant has a hearing on Sept. 7.

VPEA bought the building (which was listed for $3.35 million) this spring and subsequently filed eviction notices on June 21 to the residents of all 13 units to be out by Aug 31. Summerfield was told the building will be repurposed to host international students studying in Victoria, which is VPEA’s business model.

http://www.vicnews.c...ch-renoviction/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 02 September 2017 - 04:39 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#846 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:38 PM

The old Chinese trick eh...

http://vpea.ca/en/

Established in 2001, Vancouver Public Education Alliance (VPEA) is consistently devoted to building a Sino-North America international education platform, which is headquartered in Vancouver and has subsidiaries in Toronto, Victoria, Boston, Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Changsha and Ha’erbin. Representing over 60 Canadian public school boards, many American public and private schools as well as more than 100 well-known universities and colleges all over North America, VPEA cooperates with well-qualified Chinese high schools to develop joint international programs. These programs provide unique educational opportunities that will connect Chinese high school students with high-quality North American education

#847 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

...VPEA bought the building ...this spring and...the building will be repurposed to host international students studying in Victoria...

There's some significant redevelopment/increased density potential for that entire block.

Thornwood.JPG

#848 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 07:24 PM

This takes the cake:

Rental shortages lead to landlord abuse

Tim Collins /News staff

In a rental environment in which the vacancy rate has consistently hovered at or below 0.5 per cent, allegations of some landlords trampling on the rights of prospective tenants shouldn’t be altogether surprising, according to Robin Durling of the B.C. Human Rights Fund.

“About five per cent of the calls we get are about this issue, but that’s still a lot. People often know that there is discrimination taking place, but they need to have the energy and resources to pursue the matter and, often, they don’t see an upside to doing so,” said Durling.

“But we have also been turned down because my husband isn’t a Canadian citizen yet (he came to Canada from the United States). In another case we were asked to write an essay about what we liked to do, our hobbies and habits. That landlord also wanted to see copies of my kid’s school grades. It was ridiculous.”

https://www.goldstre...landlord-abuse/

#849 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

^ Not really - if I'm about to give you care of my $750k investment, I'd like to know that I'm giving it over to good hands.

• tjv likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#850 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

“You can may be find a place in Colwood or View Royal, where you can may be afforded,” she says. “But if you are a full-time student, who is may be working a part time, it is completely unreasonable to ask them to commute that far every day, especially with our transit system.”

While reliable statistics are not available, several thousand UVic students find themselves competing against each other, students from other institutions and non-students in the Greater Victoria housing market, says Swaich.

https://www.sookenew...s-into-suburbs/

I've been saying for a long time we could use a hotel or two more in Saanich.  Why not a hotel that caters to higher-end students during the school year and tourists in the summer?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 September 2017 - 06:21 PM.

#851 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

If I won the lottery, I'd be implementing some of your harebrained ideas from here... how much do you charge for stealing your ideas?

#852 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:57 AM

If I won the lottery, I'd be implementing some of your harebrained ideas from here... how much do you charge for stealing your ideas?

My ideas are all open-source.

• lanforod likes this

#853 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

I do think there would be good demand for a hotel in eastern Saanich. Around Tuscany Village or Hillside mall area. Bonus if it had conference space for weddings and conferences.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and jonny like this

#854 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

I do think there would be good demand for a hotel in eastern Saanich. Around Tuscany Village or Hillside mall area. Bonus if it had conference space for weddings and conferences.

Dare I suggest that UVic makes a deal to dispose some of it's land for such a private venture?  Ian Stewart Complex, Haro Woods, some other stuff they have like around the University Club / parking lot 10, or SE of the Commonwealth Village.  I mean, seriously, the University is a land hog.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 September 2017 - 08:44 AM.

• tedward likes this

#855 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:00 AM

You'll have a hard time convincing them to do that. Hillside Mall seems like it'd be a good partner for this...

• Nparker likes this

#856 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Well in my scenario they of course do not just give it away. They make a positive deal. Money, scholarships, and long-term student housing guarantees. It could be win-win.

#857 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:14 AM

The other part is convincing Saanich to allow some serious height. A decent size hotel probably needs to be fairly high or would need a lot of land. 

#858 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Saanich has approved the 11-storey residential building at Uptown, and they're also pretty warm to what could be a 16-storey tower at Nigel Valley. So things could be ever so slowly changing in that regard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#859 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

Saanich has approved the 11-storey residential building at Uptown, and they're also pretty warm to what could be a 16-storey tower at Nigel Valley. So things could be ever so slowly changing in that regard.

The pace of change here could almost ruffle one's hair (if it's a windy day).

• Mike K. likes this

#860 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:35 PM

Possibly. I'm talking about a bit further east though. Highest building is probably Tuscany Village, or some of the UVic buildings. Maybe 8 storeys at the max.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users