Cactus Club | Victoria | Douglas at Fort

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

Personally I think that it is th wrong demographic for the Cactus Club. Other than Government employees, there isn't enough business traffic in the area to drive a solid lunch crowd (Walmat employees won't be eating their) and the residential areas nearby are low to mid market which will impact dinner sales.

I don't know about that. I've read lots of case studies and surveys about where people eat/drink compared to where they live/work. It's not tied together nearly as closely as you'd think. For some reason, developers and business owners don't seem to look at traffic counts here as much as they do in other places. When I worked in Arizona for a real estate company, it seemed that's all they analyzed to find building sites. Think about Red Robin, that you could say is a junior version of Cactus. It seems like a bit of an odd spot, but it has visibility and pretty easy access. I know when I worked for a company where our shift was all out in a fleet of company cars all over Greater Vic, it was a good central meeting point, and we ate there probably once a month all together.

Having said all that, I'm not a huge Uptown fan, I don't think it's the huge magnet that some make it to be.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#42 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

A Cactus Club at Uptown would attract me and my co-workers. Hopefully I won't get arrested there though.

#43 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think it is a great location. People seem to forget that there is a huge population just across Blanshard and I will tell ya that Boston Pizza is not top of the list. Add to this shoppers and UVic students changing buses. It will do well.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:15 AM

A Cactus Club at Uptown would attract me and my co-workers. Hopefully I won't get arrested there though.

I was simply "detained", not even arrested. Detained might even be too strong. "Stopped for questioning" might be more appropriate. 5 minutes later I was back enjoying my steak.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

Well, I got a ride all the way to the cop shop and my own private room there. ;)

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

I'll go there.

Moxies used to be located at Town & Country. Perhaps they'll be back in phase 2 of Uptown.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

I don't know about that. I've read lots of case studies and surveys about where people eat/drink compared to where they live/work. It's not tied together nearly as closely as you'd think. For some reason, developers and business owners don't seem to look at traffic counts here as much as they do in other places. When I worked in Arizona for a real estate company, it seemed that's all they analyzed to find building sites. Think about Red Robin, that you could say is a junior version of Cactus. It seems like a bit of an odd spot, but it has visibility and pretty easy access. I know when I worked for a company where our shift was all out in a fleet of company cars all over Greater Vic, it was a good central meeting point, and we ate there probably once a month all together.

Having said all that, I'm not a huge Uptown fan, I don't think it's the huge magnet that some make it to be.

Red Robin I could see or any one of a dozen other similar concept restaurants. My experience with the Catcus Club is that they charge a fair premium to Red Robin and that is the issue I have a problem with.

#48 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:08 PM

The food may cost more, but at least it's not gross. Red Robin is basically fast food quality.

It would be great if this cactus club had a nice patio. Moxie's survived at town and country so I'm sure cactus would be fine.

#49 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

Moxie's was in the Red Robin price point. $10-$20 entries will work, $20-$30 won't in my opinion.

#50 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Moxie's was in the Red Robin price point. $10-$20 entries will work, $20-$30 won't in my opinion.

Moxie's would be terrified to hear themselves compared to Red Robin.

Clearly Moxie's and Cactus Club are direct competitors. Their menus, price point atmosphere, staff and clientele are quite similar.

#51 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:08 PM

Clearly Moxie's and Cactus Club are direct competitors. Their menus, price point atmosphere, staff and clientele are quite similar.

Maybe Moxie's Yates and Cactus. All other Moxie's (including the former one at Town and Country) are a little less classy than Yates.

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:36 PM

I'd say Earl's and Cac are direct competitors. Cac wins out, IMO.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#53 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I'd say Earl's and Cac are direct competitors. Cac wins out, IMO.

And it has won out tomorrow for a meeting Mike and I are having.

So if you want to go by and see how a real power team hashes out a deal, come watch us there tomorrow afternoon. We won't be hard to spot, even if you don't know us.

#54 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:32 PM

Gumgum originally posted that the Dysen Air Blade was the best hand dryer on the market or words to that effect.

Then there was this post that made me want to find out what all the fuss was about.

They have those installed in the bathrooms at the Inn at Laurel Point.

You should have seen the look on the face of the gentleman at the urinal when I pulled out my trusty phone and snapped a pic of this bad boy.

The only problem was....it's a Mitsubishi.....not a Dysen.

#55 YOYO

YOYO
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

Noodlebox at Uptown has a Dysen in the washroom.

#56 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

cactus club has some competition
http://www.designcur...-best-2-4719038
http://www.archdaily...round-the-world

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 01:52 PM

Anyone notice how there must be a maximum height allowed for bartenders who work at the downtown Cactus Club? It just dawned on me the other day that to fit under the low hanging television screens you have to be about 5'5" with shoes, or thereabouts.

Know it all.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:41 AM

Anyone notice how there must be a maximum height allowed for bartenders who work at the downtown Cactus Club? It just dawned on me the other day that to fit under the low hanging television screens you have to be about 5'5" with shoes, or thereabouts.

I think you can be 6'.  The bar area is 6 or 8 inches "under grade" the rest of us customers are sitting at.  It does appear to make all bartenders look short, not good for your social life, as a male likely.

BREAKING:  the Cactus Club has been closed since 10pm last night to get some major work done at the bar, all new tops, maybe more.

The tables in the main area still have cutlery on them, so it must be pretty minor.

#59 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:55 AM

all new tops, maybe more.

What was wrong with the old tops?

medium_love_your_job_with_Veronica_pic.j

• Nparker likes this

#60 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

VHF, your live reporting, while exciting is at times confusing. So if this a major minor renovation, or a minor major renovation?

Or just new staff uniforms?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users