Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#1161 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

I was just wondering about the pic in the Times Colonist today.  I recognize Ben and Jerry, but who is the other Councillor in the background wearing the orange hat?

vka-candidmtg04781-jpg.jpg

http://www.timescolo...-urge-1.7740345

• GaryRanson likes this

#1162 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

I was just wondering about the pic in the Times Colonist today.  I recognize Ben and Jerry, but who is the other Councillor in the background wearing the orange hat?

LOL It's the "Clowns Against Poverty" guy.

• Nparker likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1163 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hate to be picky, but it looks more like a jester to me.

#1164 J Billings

J Billings
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:58 AM

An adviser?

• thundergun likes this

#1165 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:13 AM

Is it a new "resident city jester"?.....or "resident city tailor"? Perhaps it's the CoV department of silly hats?
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, rjag and 2 others like this

#1166 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:27 AM

Is it a new "resident city jester"?.....or "resident city tailor"? Perhaps it's the CoV department of silly hats?

Arrrgghhh....don't give CoV council any ideas.  :wacko:

• VicHockeyFan, johnk, Daveyboy and 1 other like this

#1167 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

LOL It's the "Clowns Against Poverty" guy.

i see 3 clowns
  • Nparker, GabriolaGirl, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#1168 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yep, he does wear a Jester hat. Listening to him speak at the all candidates meetings I attended was equal parts amusement/annoyance.

i see 3 clowns

And the winner for, "most obvious joke" goes too... ;)

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#1169 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:12 PM

...And the winner for, "most obvious joke" goes too... ;)

To be fair, RFS might have said 3 fools.

• tedward likes this

#1170 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

3 Stooges?

• Nparker likes this

#1171 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:07 PM

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#1172 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 06:22 PM

The photo just needed a bit of tweaking. To be honest, I had a very tough time designating anyone on council as "speak no evil". My decision finally came down to the one who utters the least original thoughts.

post-3020-0-09002100-1484878041.jpg

#1173 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:04 PM

Looking at Helps' website it seems like she is launching a new procurement initiative today to focus on purchasing goods and services from 'social enterprises' and first nations. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I thought that procurement rules were fairly well established in Government.

http://www.victoria....n_DRAFT 11e.pdf

The City of Victoria Procurement Framework should include weighting for the hiring and training/retraining of unemployed and underemployed people, especially First Nations, youth, those with disabilities, those who have recently exited homelessness and those with mental health and addictions challenges.

City procurement activities provide preference for vendors that hire and, if needed, train First Nations, youth and those who have recently exited homelessness or have as part of their supply chains social enterprises or SMEs that do so.

RFPs and City procurement activities include and have a priority for vendors that hire from or work with EI programs and programs for those on disability benefits.

RFPs and City procurement activities provide preference for vendors who can demonstrate they are hiring skills-retrained employees, employees returning to the workforce after parental leave or other types of leave. Support current and potential City vendors in the hiring and training/ retraining of unemployed and underemployed people, especially First Nations, youth, those with disabilities, those who have recently exited homelessness, and those with mental health and addictions challenges.

City RFPs and procurement activities have links to federal and provincial employment programs that support youth, First Nations, people with disabilities, people with mental health and/or addictions challenges, people released from prison and any other related program for employers wishing to hire unemployed or underemployed people.

Edited by spanky123, 19 January 2017 - 07:07 PM.

#1174 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:07 PM

...she is launching a new procurement initiative today to focus on purchasing goods and services from 'social enterprises' and first nations...

Will this ensure the best value for the taxpayer dollar?

#1175 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:18 PM

Will this ensure the best value for the taxpayer dollar?

I don't think they have thought through yet how much more they would be willing to pay for each homeless person, convict, FN, or disabled person you had on staff/contract. I wonder if that means we have to survey all of our staff and fill out an extra form with counts each time we respond to an RFP.

• Nparker likes this

#1176 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:21 PM

I don't think they have thought through yet how much more they would be willing to pay for each homeless person, convict, FN, or disabled person you had on staff/contract. I wonder if that means we have to survey all of our staff and fill out an extra form with counts each time we respond to an RFP.

Aren't  at least half of those people already on the payroll?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1177 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:05 AM

This idea screams against fairness.

How does one put a price tag on weighing the difference between a company that has an employee that meets the criteria for special consideration and a company that does not have such a person(s) on the payroll? Company B might not have the luxury of hiring such a person without firing a fully trained existing employee.

This plan flies in the face of "cost effective" public funds spending.

There are guidelines for how public funds are spent fairly. I once tied with another contractor with the exact same price. We both had the low bid price on a publicly funded project. The guidelines clearly describe how to break the tie with a coin toss complete with a description of how the toss will be called.

I can't wait for the court case that will ensue when a city contract is awarded to the high bidder of a project based on the merits of of that bidders hiring practices and not his bid price.
  • spanky123, sebberry and Midnightly like this

#1178 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:21 PM

Victoria’s Johnson Street Bridge project has been singled out by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation for being a waste of public money.

The project has earned the federation’s 2017 Municipal Teddy Government Waste Award.

The award, given out in a number of categories, is named for Ted Weatherill, a federal appointee who was fired after an investigation into his expenses.

The City of Victoria is a first-time recipient of the award, said Jordan Bateman, the federation’s B.C. director.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.TsPjlTuF.dpuf

• Nparker likes this

#1179 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

City hall staff are recommending a six-month “roadmap” toward elimination of the bags, including a $2,000 design competition to come up with a city-branded reusable bag. 

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.9ZiwGnVo.dpuf

How about making the reusable bag larger than average to make the project worthwhile. If you could carry your laundry to the laundromat and then bring home the groceries or a couple of bags of potting soil. Of course the fabric would need to be stronger. I think there needs to be a new City of Victoria logo as part of the design competition and with some of our more recent poetry inscribed on the bag. This needs to be a take away must have item for the tourists to pack home their souvenirs in.  

#1180 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 06:06 AM

How about people who walk to get their groceries are given free cloth bags. People who drive to get their groceries are charged a $1/bag even if they bring their own. After all, what is actually doing more harm to the environment: my 2 plastic bags that I re-use at home or your SUV that belches out carbon monoxide? This entire thing is complete nonsense.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)