Photo

City of Victoria - 2014-2018 Mayor and Council General Discussion Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1722 replies to this topic

#1121 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 29 November 2016 - 07:29 PM

Victoria needs to become a republic and institute an electoral college, thus ensuring the most popular candidate will not get elected.

Victorians have clearly shown a predilection for selecting the most outrageous candidate. Based on recent election results I would imagine it will be smooth sailing for Comrade Ben in 2018.

#1122 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:27 AM

Who's pedalling who?

Biketoria, Victoria’s new network of dedicated bike lanes, might be reducing car parking spots now but it will ultimately make parking downtown easier, Mayor Lisa Helps says.

“We’ll get people who would otherwise drive; who would otherwise be filling up that parking spot. They’ll be biking.

And therefore, those spots that would otherwise have been filled up by families or by people who can’t bike right now because they don’t feel safe — their cars will be at home.

Several councillors said that Biketoria is being wrongly tagged with being a major factor in downtown Victoria’s tight parking.

The reality is that there’s a building boom where parking lots are being transformed into condo and office buildings, they said.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.xDMCyxVh.dpuf

#1123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,679 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:50 AM

I think we're forgetting that we don't live in a vacuum. We're constantly growing, by about 3,000 people per year, actually, and each one of those persons have heir own needs and requirements and we can't assume people will flock to bikes.

Just look at our recent wintery weather so far. The bike counter has cut down to 50 riders from about a thousand. Those 950 people are driving or hopping on transit. Few are going to walk if they feel unsafe to ride.
  • Bingo, sdwright.vic, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1124 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

^ And as we expand the population into outlying communities there are fewer and fewer people who are prepared to bike 10km-15km+ each way.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#1125 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:51 AM

"We" don't assume... our crazy leaders do.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1126 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:56 AM

You also can't assume everyone is going to drive. Some people can't afford to, some have medical issues preventing them from getting licenses, and anyone under 16 is not even eligible. These people deserve safe alternatives.

Also I'm one of those 950 people, and instead for most of the poor weather window I just stayed home. There were certainly not as many vehicles on the roads this week.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

#1127 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:11 PM

...Some people can't afford to, some have medical issues preventing them from getting licenses, and anyone under 16 is not even eligible...

I neither drive nor own a car, instead, I take public transportation or walk for most of my day-to-day needs. Even so, I can't help but feel the current CoV Council has an ideological need to promote biking at the expense of other forms of transportation.

• pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1128 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:18 PM

I neither drive nor own a car, instead, I take public transportation or walk for most of my day-to-day needs. Even so, I can't help but feel the current CoV Council has an ideological need to promote biking at the expense of other forms of transportation.

It has to be at the expense of other modes. There's no unused right of way space. This is not just a loony Victoria policy. It's happening all over Canada. And it's not just ideological when so many people are asking for safer streets.

#1129 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 01:11 PM

....And it's not just ideological when so many people are asking for safer streets.

I'd like to see a local survey - not sponsored by Biketoria - the results of which confirm this thesis.

• spanky123 and Bingo like this

#1130 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:45 PM

I think the mean less homelessness issues and drug use safe streets though.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#1131 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:48 PM

I'd like to see a local survey - not sponsored by Biketoria - the results of which confirm this thesis.

Not Victoria, but Oak Bay. "62% agree with the statement, “Bike paths and bike lanes should be a priority for the District of Oak Bay" - of this 62%, 40% strongly agreed - the highest of any of the questions asked. Full details here: https://www.oakbay.c...rict-thumbs-and

This was scientifically conducted poll with weighted for Oak Bay's population, not a self-selected survey like munis frequently run

One can assume that Victoria would likely give even higher approval numbers

#1132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Not Victoria, but Oak Bay. "62% agree with the statement, “Bike paths and bike lanes should be a priority for the District of Oak Bay" - of this 62%, 40% strongly agreed - the highest of any of the questions asked. Full details here: https://www.oakbay.c...rict-thumbs-and

This was scientifically conducted poll with weighted for Oak Bay's population, not a self-selected survey like munis frequently run

Sure, most people would agree with that. Change the question to bike lanes should be the priority at the expense of parking and lanes for cars then the answer would be quite different.

Be sort of like asking people if they agree with the statement that good health and a high standard of education should be a priority for Canadians without asking whether they support paying 60% of their income in tax!

Edited by spanky123, 10 December 2016 - 04:07 PM.

• Nparker and sdwright.vic like this

#1133 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:22 PM

It is easy to get an agreement if you ask an ambiguous question like “Bike paths and bike lanes should be a priority for the District of Oak Bay".

If the question was asked  "Bike lanes should have priority over over car parking on Oak Bay Avenue",  I wonder what the result would be.

• Nparker, sdwright.vic, Awaiting Juno and 1 other like this

#1134 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:52 PM

It is easy to get an agreement if you ask an ambiguous question like “Bike paths and bike lanes should be a priority for the District of Oak Bay".

If the question was asked  "Bike lanes should have priority over over car parking on Oak Bay Avenue",  I wonder what the result would be.

lol, they should have framed the question like the Amalgamation question : Are you in favour of the District of Oak Bay being amalgamated into a larger regional municipality? (62% said no 38% said yes) 

#1135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 07:59 PM

...they should have framed the question like the Amalgamation question: Are you in favour of the District of Oak Bay being amalgamated into a larger regional municipality?...

Perhaps this would have enabled a more positive result: "Are you in favour of the District of Oak Bay being amalgamated into a larger regional municipality if it means bike paths and bike lanes become a priority?:P

• spanky123 and Awaiting Juno like this

#1136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:30 PM

This isn't the main reason she makes my naughty list, but it's a good start

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation has released its 2016 BC Taxpayers’ Naughty and Nice List, and Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps is on it - but not on the side she'd probably like. Helps is second on the naughty side...

http://www.iheartrad...-list-1.2287385

Edited by Nparker, 20 December 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#1137 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:39 PM

I don't know, I don't trust those "taxpayer" groups. They'd probably give five stars to Detroit for not spending anything on infrastructure.

• http likes this

#1138 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 01:46 PM

Yes they're actually pushing a radical right wing agenda that I'm sure gets lots of VV support.

• Coreyburger likes this

#1139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

Yes they're actually pushing a radical right wing agenda that I'm sure gets lots of VV support.

Huh?

#1140 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,908 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:47 PM

I don't know, I don't trust those "taxpayer" groups...

I am not a particular fan of the CTF, but anyone who puts "Her Worseship" on a Naughty List can't be all bad.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users