Photo

CFAX AM / iHeart Radio Victoria | AM 1070

• Please log in to reply
1447 replies to this topic

#21 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

Thursday, April 9 from 12:30 to 1 p.m., I’ll be a panelist on the Ryan Price show on C-FAX 1070 AM talking about random Downtown things.

You're already a star Rob. My son saw you on CHEK News this evening, and was excited he had met a 'real celebrity'!! Well done.
  • Wayne1 likes this

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:32 PM

Ya, I caught your show today. It's actually called "the lunch bunch", but whatever. I notice now some of these "talk" shows do not really have a call-in portion. Could this mean they pre-record some parts, or plan to in the future?

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

^I only found out the name just as the Chamber's Bruce Carter and I were sitting down. Someone from the Martlet was supposed to be the third guest but couldn't make it. The Lunch Bunch will be a regular feature. It's only a half hour so no time for call ins. Anyway the other main shows still have lots of call in opportunities.

Apart from the advertorials like Wine Talk I don't think C-FAX pretapes any shows. It wouldn't work as sometimes (like the UVic parking story today) a news story will change minutes before air time and you can't have a current events program with outdated info.

It was only Price's second time hosting the show. The loss of Terry Spence seemed to weigh heavy on the staff but it looks like they're keeping positive. The afternoon Dave Dickson show will be an audition of sorts for him. If people like him he'll keep that slot.

We talked about the Government Street closure (I thought it should be given a limited trial--Bruce agreed but said businesses need to be consulted. The needle exchange controversy was the other main topic besides the UVic parking fine thing.

They're looking for more talking head guests for this show so if you can think of someone with an opinion put it here.

#24 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'd be happy if Easingwood left, he really seems to be out of it sometimes with regard to current events.

Totally agree. He is without a doubt the most uninformed, least prepared talk show host I have ever heard.

Among the dozens of blunders he makes daily, my all time favorite was when he was interviewing some lady about the ALS foundation. She was going on about how it was always fatal within a few years etc. etc.

She stated that it was most commonly known as Lou Gherig's disease after the famous ballplayer from the late 1930's.

Joe then posed the question " is Lou still with us?"

There was a stunned silence for a few seconds then she politely answered "no".

Thats when I stopped listening to his show, and discovered CBC.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'll be doing the Lunch Bunch show current events roundtable on C-FAX today at 12:30-1:00 pm.
http://stream.netro.ca/cfax

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 10:37 AM

I'll be doing the Lunch Bunch show current events roundtable on C-FAX today at 12:30-1:00 pm.
http://stream.netro.ca/cfax

They should feed you lunch if you do that show, that'd be cool. Maybe they do? Do you ever get any swag for coming on the show? Concert tickets, restaurant gift certificates, a souvenir CFAX mug or pen?

#27 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

Found this little tidbit on PSR, posted yesterday:

Apparently the reason there was no "Opinion Panel" on ShawTV this past friday, is because the dispute between Shaw and the conventional stations became a topic for conversation....and Shaw pulled the show. Censorship? and from what level? Alan Perry isn't one to hide from a story, and i wonder how much grief he had to endure over this. would be interesting to hear what the panel had to say, if anyone could enlighten the rest of us it would be appreciated.

http://www.pugetsoun...l?m-1243006958/

#28 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

They should feed you lunch if you do that show, that'd be cool. Maybe they do? Do you ever get any swag for coming on the show? Concert tickets, restaurant gift certificates, a souvenir CFAX mug or pen?

I get nothin', not even a pen.

I will be on C-FAX 1070 AM's "Lunch Bunch" show again today at 12:30 PM along with Councillor Philippe Lucas talking about tax freedom day, D-Day and assorted Downtown issues.

#29 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:08 AM

Again today; 12:30. I'll try to mention the Johnson Street Bridge fight and the Late Night Task Force. I am told this will be a call in episode today.

#30 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:53 PM

I will be on C-FAX 1070 AM's "Lunch Bunch" show again today at 12:30 PM along with Councillor Philippe Lucas talking about tax freedom day, D-Day and assorted Downtown issues.

I'm sure that the amount of money that government takes from Canadians (as signified by Tax Freedom Day) really eats away at guys like Lucas. :rolleyes:
In chains by Keynes

#31 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

I fear that Easingwood is probably next and we start to see more syndicated talk shows or a transition to more "in your face" type talk radio as we see in other markets.

Yeah good luck with that, since Tom Leykis couldn't even last when he was in Vancouver, let alone here, although I would love to see someone pick up a guy like Adam Carolla here.
In chains by Keynes

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 10:22 PM

Again today; 12:30. I'll try to mention the Johnson Street Bridge fight and the Late Night Task Force. I am told this will be a call in episode today.

I listened today, you held your own, good points on the late-night task force. Strange, was there NO callers?

#33 Sue Woods

Sue Woods
  • 621 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:17 AM

[quote name='Rob Randall']I get nothin', not even a pen. quote]

If you want to come my show (to talk about changes in our city over recent years, maybe inner harbour stuff given your father's aviation career, the inception and growth of the DRA etc...etc) I will give you a CFAX mug!

Let me know if you want to do an hour in radioland with me.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

I would like that, Susan.

I listened today, you held your own, good points on the late-night task force. Strange, was there NO callers?

There was one call shortly before airtime from an automated telephone solicitor.

The Monday call-in was an experiment but it didn't seem too successful!

#35 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spanky123
I fear that Easingwood is probably next and we start to see more syndicated talk shows or a transition to more "in your face" type talk radio as we see in other markets.

I pray that he is next. If you ever listen to a good interviewer/commentator, you couldn't spend 5 minutes listening to this uninformed boob.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#36 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Tune in to C-FAX tomorrow to listen to VV Member Lana Popham interview Sean Holman. No - I'm not confused. Lana and Sean are turning the politician/reporter relationship on it's head for a morning.

From Public Eye:

Turn around is fair play
Sunday morning, on Public Eye Radio, provincial New Democrat legislator Lana Popham interviews host Sean Holman as part of our commitment to media accountability. Fightback editorial member Mike Palecek discuss his effort to "take back" the new Democrats. And our rabble-rousing panel - Don Anderson, Bob Russell, Allan Warnke and Monday Magazine's Jason Youmans - debate the week that was in provincial and federal politics. You can listen to Public Eye Radio outside of Victoria by logging into CFAX 1070 between 8:00 and 10:00. Or check us out after the show by downloading our podcast. If you have a question for one of our guests, you can email us or leave a comment below.

Posted by Sean Holman at 01:01 PM

Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#37 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:33 AM

I was quite impressed with how well spoken and articulate the president of the BCCLA was this morning during is on-air discussion of the Canada Day policing and searching.

I wish he could have stuck around to take some calls (or maybe people weren't calling?)

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#38 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

It will be a sad day when CFAX weeds out their quirkyness. I've been an occasional listener since the blizzard of '96 when they changed their coverage title to "The Snowdesk", and talked for hours upon hours about how long they had been talking.

This is from today's online news, or should I say NEWS. No offense to the deceased or his family, but when is dead not dead?

THE JOINT RESCUE CENTRE IN VICTORIA HAD A BUSY LUNCH HOUR TODAY AS THEY RESPONDED TO THREE SEPARATE INCIDENTS ON THE WATER

THE FIRST INVOLVED A MAN WHO HAD COLLAPSED ON HIS VESSEL JUST AFTER NOON---HE WAS DECLARED DECEASED AT THE SCENE

THE SECOND INCIDENT HAPPENED AROUND THE SAME TIME---A TUGBOAT HAD BEEN REPORTED FLIPPED AND 4 PEOPLE HAD BEEN ON BOARD

SPOKESPERSON GERRY PASH SAYS ALL 4 WERE RESCUED WHEN THEY RECEIVED ANOTHER CALL ABOUT A DIVER IN NOOTKA SOUND WHO MAY HAVE HAD A CASE OF BENDS

"the vessel in trouble, along with the Coast Guard shift 507, met on the way to Gold River, where the individual who was having some difficulty after the dive is to be met by emergency health services, and taken to hospital"

PASH SAID SERIOUS INJURIES WERE AVOIDED IN ALL CASES---HOWEVER THEY ARE UNAWARE OF THE STATUS OF THE GENTLEMAN WHO COLLAPSED IN THE FIRST INCIDENT

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:14 AM

The deceased part was added later, it was not part of the report first time I read it. I love editing errors. TC does it sometimes, they will refer to someone by last name late in an article, not realizing that person has been edited out of the beginning of the article. So you hit this name quoted as saying something, and you say "who the he'll is Fitzgerald?".

#40 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

TC does it sometimes, they will refer to someone by last name late in an article, not realizing that person has been edited out of the beginning of the article. So you hit this name quoted as saying something, and you say "who the he'll is Fitzgerald?".

I've noticed this, too, and it drives me bonkers. At those times I'm happy that my browser lets me search in the page, just so I can check to make sure I'm not senile (yet).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users