Posted 21 May 2017 - 11:10 PM

Mike Burgers with cheese are still exactly the same and that is a good thing

• VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and LJ like this

#3242 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 May 2017 - 10:21 AM

No idea.  The intel we have is reliable*, but non-specific**.  We certainly have known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know.

* reliable in that we can use it for click-bait

** non-specific in that we can change our address and phone number if we get sued over the info

No, a proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven.

Edited by Jackerbie, 23 May 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#3243 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:18 PM

What's the law regarding pricing at restaurants that differs from one medium to another? For example, say the menu outlines a happy hour special priced for X, but a large sign within the restaurant identifies the special priced for Y, which price is the price the consumer expected to pay, legally speaking?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3244 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:27 PM

The one at the restaurant would win because it is the one that can be confirmed in the restaurant.

Kind of like Peaches at Thrifty's are advertised at .99 each. You get to the store and they have them at $1.19 each. You are going to pay the $1.19. Best practices would be give to you for the mistaken price (if you are the one to bring it to their attention). But that can only go so far. Sign on door saying mistake and then pay the actual sale price.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3245 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:35 PM

I was at a restaurant the other day and they had a deal listed inside the restaurant. But when I went to order it (without looking at the menu, just going by the signage) they said they wouldn't honour it because the deal had changed a week prior.

So in short a sign inside said one thing, the menu said another. I said that was a bit silly, and their retort was that they've been too busy to change the sign.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3246 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:43 PM

I would tell them to get off being busy... push my unfinished whatever their way and left.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#3247 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:46 PM

Hopefully the "law" says that you work it out, and if not, it goes to civil court between you and the shopkeeper.  Seems silly to have laws or regulations over trivial stuff.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3248 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yeah sure, but is there a "law" regarding advertised prices? That's all I'm wondering.

How to work it out is not what I'm asking.

Know it all.

#3249 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

File_003 (111).jpeg File_000 (195).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3250 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:02 PM

File_002 (52).jpeg File_001 (138).jpeg File_000 (134).jpeg

This is the former Guitars Plus space.

#3251 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

I hope "La Tortilla" can spring for another coat of outrageously bright yellow paint and a new awning.

Does anyone really want to eat tulips?

#3252 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

I hope "La Tortilla" can spring for another coat of outrageously bright yellow paint and a new awning.

Does anyone really want to eat tulips?

It seems also with their first coat, they also did not go very high, like thay had no ladders.  Lacks finish.  

#3253 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 08:44 AM

I was at a restaurant the other day and they had a deal listed inside the restaurant. But when I went to order it (without looking at the menu, just going by the signage) they said they wouldn't honour it because the deal had changed a week prior.

So in short a sign inside said one thing, the menu said another. I said that was a bit silly, and their retort was that they've been too busy to change the sign.

We went out for buck-a-shuck oysters at a tourist-district place and when the bill came it was buck-and-a-half shuck. Our server graciously explained "that's an old menu".
Oohhh-kay. They won't see us again and probably not any of the two dozen friends we warned.
  • Rob Randall likes this

#3254 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:16 AM

We went out for buck-a-shuck oysters at a tourist-district place and when the bill came it was buck-and-a-half shuck. Our server graciously explained "that's an old menu".
Oohhh-kay. They won't see us again and probably not any of the two dozen friends we warned.

It's a small thing but I wonder if it's legal to have a price on a menu but charge a different price .
What would happen if you refused to pay the inflated price .
Some how it doesn't seem legal to me .
I have seem on a menu something to the effect that prices may vary .
Just because you have that on there is it legal you can charge
what ever you want .

#3255 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

If you refused to pay the price, the police could be called and potentially you could be arrested for "food by fraud".  That would be at the discretion of the officer, of course.  You might be able to plead your case on the spot and receive a sympathetic ear.

The other thing you could do, is try to negotiate for the lower price with a reasonable manager.  Might work.

Failing that you might pay the higher price, but then collect evidence and then file a claim in small claims against the place to get the extra money back.

Thankfully, it usually does not go this far.

There IS a bit of a difficulty with lots of external online sources that the restaurant has no control of, that might list old prices or specials.  And the patron says "I saw it on the internet" but has not idea what site.  That's not really the fault of the restaurant.

• HB likes this

#3256 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:32 AM

Every once in a while we get someone in who says they have a coupon from Yelp that entitles them to a free dessert. We don't honour it, and tell them to take it up with Yelp, whom we have zero relationship with. Otherwise, the lowest of the posted prices on premise is what you pay.

Weird.

Matt.

#3257 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

Every once in a while we get someone in who says they have a coupon from Yelp that entitles them to a free dessert. We don't honour it, and tell them to take it up with Yelp, whom we have zero relationship with. Otherwise, the lowest of the posted prices on premise is what you pay.
Weird.
Matt.

Am I understanding you Matt ,that legally Johnk did not have to pay the extra for his oysters than the posted price on the menu .
Menu said 1$ . That's it .

#3258 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:58 AM

^ There is no written law that says that, but you can likely win your civil suit.  I can have a dancing gypsy yelling out prices as my price list, but then when I ring you in, I'll expect you to pay the price I ask.  You can always sue me.

• Matt R. and HB like this

#3259 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:10 AM

You go to a grocery store, and they'll all always honor a lower listed price. Go to a clothing store, and it's the same.

I would definitely scoff at a restaurant trying to make me pay for their mistake.

• Nparker, Matt R., Midnightly and 1 other like this

#3260 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:14 AM

The competitions bureau has jurisdiction here under its truth in advertising policy. I have used them before to deal with local businesses who use deceptive marketing tactics. It is very effective. Won't get you your $10 back but the organization will have to deal with the regulators.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users