Movies!

• Please log in to reply
771 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

Lady in Black 2. Saw the first one and it was OK, second one isn't too bad either.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:47 AM

American Sniper finally fell out of first place this weekend.

But the thing has grossed $350M worldwide, on a production budget of just $58M.

Not bad at all.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#43 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:14 AM

American Sniper finally fell out of first place this weekend....

It has what (American) film goers really love: patriotism, guns and death.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:15 AM

It has what (American) film goers really love: patriotism, guns and death.

This weekend they preferred SpongeBob.  

American Sniper loses box office crown to SpongeBob SquarePants movie

http://www.theguardi...r-us-box-office

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

Weekend Report: Moviegoers Flee From 'Fifty Shades'

by Ray Subers

fiftyshadesofgrey_spotlight_5.jpg Fifty Shades of Grey  

February 22, 2015

Coming off a massive holiday weekend, Fifty Shades of Grey plummeted 73 percent in its second outing. Still, the movie easily held on the top spot this weekend with $23.2 million.

Among the new releases, McFarland, USA and The DUFF did solid business, while Hot Tub Time Machine 2flopped.

Fifty Shades of Grey's 73 percent drop is steeper than the second weekend declines for The Fault in our Stars,Valentine's Day, and all five Twilight movies. It's the second-biggest decline ever for a movie playing at over 3,100 locations; the worst belongs to the Friday the 13thremake, which fell 80 percent on this same weekend in 2009.

Adapted from an immensely popular book and opening on Valentine's Day weekend, Fifty Shades of Grey was always going to be fairly front-loaded. Still, the movie's horrible reviews (25 percent on Rotten Tomatoes) and weak word-of-mouth ("C+" CinemaScore) surely contributed in some way.

Fifty Shades has now earned $130.1 million, and could be on track to close below $170 million. That's still a huge win—especially considering how well it's doing overseas—though it's not quite the monumental hit that its opening weekend may have suggested.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

Let's face it, the only reason the movie has made as much as it did is because every girl that saw it took some poor sap along with her as a Valentine's gig. It'd have had 50% of it's revenues if that hadn't been the case.

The plummet of course cements the reality that the movie stinks and those who didn't see it on Valentines are being told by their friends to keep a safe distance.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#47 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:50 PM

Just curious which movie is better Babe or Bambi?

adorable 2.jpg

).jpg

#48 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Just curious which movie is better Babe or Bambi?

That depends. Which do you prefer, bacon or venison?

• todd and Daveyboy like this

#49 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

Amazing how well Outta Compton has done.

Stunning really.  Someone is gonna be very rich (oh ya, it's Dr. Dre, he already is).  Getting that medical degree is just the cherry on the top.

#50 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Updated: Straight Outta Compton Caps Off Universal’s Amazing Summer

In a year where we already have five movies grossing over $300 million (with the last “Hunger Games” and the first new Star Wars” still on the way), Universal Pictures can claim three of those, including the third-highest grossing movie of all time in Jurassic World. In fact, Universal’s movies have grossed the company over $2 billion just in North America, so obviously they would already be having a great year and summer.

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

D U N K I R K  is excellent a 10 out of 10 

• tedward likes this

#52 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

D U N K I R K  is excellent a 10 out of 10 

Funny enough, I went with a VV moderator yesterday.  He gave it a 3.7/5.

I give it a 4.2/5.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 21 July 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#53 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

Funny enough, I went with a VV moderator yesterday.  He gave it a 3.7/5.

I give it a 4.2/5.

That's not funny...a couple of amateur rotten tomato farmers.   :muching_out:

• todd likes this

#54 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,611 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

Interesting - we were actually feeling disappointed and somewhat let-down, which seemed to be the general feeling among the packed house tonight which was mute and quite subdued as they exited.

As the guy in front of me said - an ex-Brit Army type to boot as it turned out - "I wanted very much to like this film much more than I did". I concur. After all the hype I thought it simply did not measure up. Interesting and well crafted technically, but something of a "meh" and uneven result overall. That said no one can score a movie better than Hans Zimmer. There is an artist who is unsurpassed in his field....

#55 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:07 AM

It was a sharp contrast from Saving Private Ryan where there was plenty of blood and guts.

Dunkirk never really showed the enemy close up, and leaves a lot to the individual movie viewer to imagine the terror.

I saw the same subdued feeling after the movie but I thought the personal stories were poignant and well acted, and people were likely reflecting on that.

#56 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

My issue wasn't the acting - fact is no one really had a chance to shine or take the spotlight in that regard. Tom Hardy is a very fine actor but really didn't have much to do other than mumble into his flight mask and fire his Spitfire machine guns. The 'working class' accents were a problem for a lot of the audience including me. My wife - and a woman sitting behind us - were constantly asking "what did he say?!". I have lots of English family and even I was struggling to comprehend many of the lines. I really don't "get" why Harry Styles needed to be in this film, especially with so many other fine Brit performers available who are - you know - actually actors, rather than eye candy for the teenage girl set. 

The entire scene with Styles and his group boarding the grounded boat and waiting for the tide was pointless and consumed too much screen time IMO; you had to listen very, very hard to the dialogue to finally understand it was "probably" Germans "to the east in the sand dunes" taking pot shots at the ship puncturing the hull. Um...there are 350,000 primary enemy targets representing the bulk of my main enemy's army just sitting on a beach which I have completely surrounded. Why am I utterly wasting time and resources punching holes in the hull of one tiny insignificant fishing boat with maybe eight entirely non-threatening combatants hiding in it?

I thought technically they crafted certain aspects of the film very well - the Spitfire air scenes were good - but at the real Dunkirk there were 2-3000 small vessels that answered the call; in this film there is one very short scene where there appear on the horizon perhaps several dozen boats that very inadequately portray what the real event must have been like. Overall the British Army could have been fighting aliens for the utter lack of references or appearances by the German Armed forces. We weren't there obviously, but I suspect 350,000 British Army personnel at the real Dunkirk were subjected to rather more than a single Heinkel bomber, a couple of Focke Wulf 190's and two 3-plane waves of Stukas....

Finally although I (thought I knew) what to expect at an IMAX a lot of older patrons were obviously suffering from the ridiculously loud soundtrack. I knew I was going to a war movie but I didn't expect to be in a war. Several people were complaining about headaches at the exit, as was I. That said if you have a real interest in the events of Dunkirk, or particularly if you want to experience a major WWII event from a non-American viewpoint, definitely do go. I should stress its not that its a 'bad' movie - it simply IMO does not come close to matching the hype surrounding its release.

IMO Hans Zimmer is the star of this film; no one can score a flick like he can...

• todd likes this

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

Yup, the accents left me wondering what the heck was being said.

You didn't see the enemy save for several airplanes and in the last seconds a few Germans took the Spitfire pilot away after he glided about for eternity (oh, but managing to shoot down a Nazi plane in the process).

I felt the movie had a tremendous amount of potential but ultimately fell flat on its face. Although I gave it 3.7/5, as I reflect on it I think I'll have to slide my movie-o-meter to a 3/5.

Know it all.

#58 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

There were some loud kerangs for sure.

#59 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:12 PM

Silver City has a true IMAX screen? I thought the only one was at the RBCM.

#60 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 09:14 PM

Two large portable dressing room vehicles drove past my place (headed towards Quadra Street) about 30 minutes ago. Is there a shoot taking place nearby?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users