* * * * - 3 votes

Victoria retail thread: retailer news, comings and goings

• Please log in to reply
8289 replies to this topic

#1741 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

The former bathroom store (Cantu?) next to Moxie's on Yates has finally been leased, according to the storefront signage anyway. No idea what's going in there, but that space has been vacant for a while.

#1742 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:36 PM

^Good news.

Has anything been planned/cancelled/stalled for that pit on the other side of what formerly was Cantu? It's been that way for some time and I can't remember what was there before.

#1743 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 02:42 PM

^Good news.

Has anything been planned/cancelled/stalled for that pit on the other side of what formerly was Cantu? It's been that way for some time and I can't remember what was there before.

http://vibrantvictor...nceled-in-2007/

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#1744 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:17 PM

This place was open when I walked by today. Only one chair and didn't notice any signage. 

St. Andrews Square. Victoria's smallest barber shop.  Once again my brilliant camera skills.

1000976_759733767379631_1441915601_n.jpg

#1745 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

The Float House on Herald is open finally.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1746 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

^If they caulked the seams of that tiny barber shop it could double duty as a float spa too.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#1747 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:10 PM

^If they caulked the seams of that tiny barber shop it could double duty as a float spa too.

Speaking of that, take a look at the rail above the door opening.  It's a bit of a unique set-up, the door is a big glass sheet that just hangs from rollers on that rail.  Not hung yet in this photo.

1000976_759733767379631_1441915601_n.jpg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1748 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:11 PM

The former bathroom store (Cantu?) next to Moxie's on Yates has finally been leased, according to the storefront signage anyway. No idea what's going in there, but that space has been vacant for a while.

This place is now an "Orange Theory Fitness" location.

http://www.orangethe...itish-columbia/

Never heard of it before, but it sounds like good workout. 

Edited by jonny, 02 May 2014 - 12:12 PM.

#1749 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

This place is now an "Orange Theory Fitness" location....

After all, "Orange is the new black"... http://en.wikipedia....s_the_New_Black

#1750 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 638 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:10 PM

This place is now an "Orange Theory Fitness" location.

http://www.orangethe...itish-columbia/

Never heard of it before, but it sounds like good workout. 

They claim a 'unique' approach.  Other then their orange outfits, I'm not getting the uniqueness aspect after reviewing their website.  Granted, orange is cool.  editted to add (after quite a bit of online digging around to find this):

So what does the "orange zone" exactly mean.

This is the range in which your heart rate is between 84-91% of your max heart rate. The total workout includes warm up and station changes so the intensity comes from short bursts of work within that time frame. Each client wears a heart rate monitor and their heart rate shows up on a television screen up on the wall.

http://www.orangethe...ws/archive/2013

(there's definitely a need to see your doctor before tackling this high heart rate based approach imo)  I can see it being useful for those of us lacking heart rate monitors, and getting jazzed by exercising in a 'group/class' setting. 

I suppose the 'unique' aspect is that the 'class' concept works as everyone uses their heart rate's "zone" to determine their pace (so they're exercising at more or less the same sort of relative intensity, regardless of current fitness level).

jbw

Edited by James Bay walker, 02 May 2014 - 02:26 PM.

#1751 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

They claim a 'unique' approach.  Other then their orange outfits, I'm not getting the uniqueness aspect after reviewing their website.  Granted, orange is cool.

jbw

It sounds pretty unique. It's a classes only place for one, which seems to be a growing trend. Most gyms have traditionally been do it yourself sort of establishments. Interval training seems to be a new fitness craze like crossfit was.

#1752 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:47 AM

A flea market starts today at Market Square.  10am-3pm every Sunday.  $20 per table, free to shop.

#1753 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

In the next few weeks, Boutique Jacob Inc. says, it will liquidate the inventory of its 92 Jacob, Jacob Outlet and Jacob Liquidation stores across Canada.

It has filed for a notice of intention under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...anada-1.2633948

80_big.jpg

http://wikimapia.org.../The-Bay-Centre

#1754 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:38 AM

Looks like Stokes Furniture at Tillicum Mall is closed.

#1755 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:22 AM

^ I am shocked! Shocked! It had such a nice selection of floral print couches and corduroy recliners.
  • gumgum and LocalMom like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#1756 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:04 AM

That's a large store for a mall. 

After 11 years in business, Stokes Furniture appears to have closed its doors at Tillicum Centre, a move that has left at least one Victoria family upset and in disbelief.

The lights have been off and doors locked at the store for the last couple of days, with a handwritten note on the door saying “closed for inventory.” Inside, there is no activity, while a larger sign says there’s a closing sale on.

The phone is not being answered and the website has gone dark.

And that has Melanie Kilpatrick upset, and out about $400.

“By all the looks of things, they are having some business troubles,” she said.

Kilpatrick said she’s unhappy that the store has her money, but she didn’t get her furniture. About six weeks ago the Kilpatricks paid cash for a dresser and mirror for their daughter’s room. It was to be at the store in three weeks.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...4.Gwt6rnBp.dpuf

#1757 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:05 AM

Good God, people--never pay cash for something that is promised to arrive in "a few weeks". Credit card all the way.

#1758 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:23 PM

BTW... won't be the Staples Building anymore after June. The downtown location is shutting down.

Well that was a pretty short life; it can't have been more than 2 or 3 years since this Staples location opened.

#1759 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:33 PM

^ For us it's now a bike ride instead of a walk.  ;)

#1760 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

News via DVBA:

MILESTONES

• As already noted in this newsletter, the Royal Theatre andMcPherson Playhouse are celebrating their 100th Anniversary this month. We hope you have time to take part in this once in a lifetime celebration of Victoria's two iconic theatres!
  • This month Artina's Jewellery is celebrating 25 years in business in Downtown Victoria! As part of their 25 year celebration, they have teamed up with local artist Corrine Hunt and the charity ONEXONE First Nations School Breakfast Program. Purchase a specially designed water bottle this month at either Artina's location and Artina's will donate $5.00 to the ONEXONE Breakfast program.
  • The Victoria Bug Zoo is changing hands. The popular Victoria visitor and student attraction has been sold by founder/entomologist Carol Maier. The new management say, “We are eager to carry on with the mission of the Victoria Bug Zoo which is to provide positive, fun and educational experiences to people of all ages from around the world.”

NOW OPEN

• Float House Victoria has now opened at 662 Herald Street. The facility offers a sensory deprivation & floatation experience similar to floating in the Dead Sea for those looking for stress relief, relaxation, pain relief and more.
  • Victoria Harbour Ferry's Pickle Boat Pub Crawl is back for another year starting May 16 and running daily until September 14, 2014. The tour features stops at Bard & Banker Scottish Pub, Irish Times Pub, The Guild Freehouse, Lure Restaurant and Lounge, and Blue Crab Seafood House. Cost is $15 per person.
  • Couch – A Tanya Horn Gallery, is now open at 1010 Broad Street (south of The Bay Centre).  Stop in for a cup of coffee, sit on the couch (yes. there is a couch), and enjoy the gallery.
  • Sushi Time Express is now open in St. Andrew's Square (735 Yates Street).
  • Terry's Barber Shop opened last month at 736 View Street, unit 135 (also in St. Andrew's Square).

If you have news about your business that you would like to share with us, please email lindsay@downtownvictoria.ca

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)