BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#5501 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

Westhills Exchange must be a new one. It'll likely be situated along Langford Parkway.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5502 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:59 AM

I just followed the stops listed for the 39 from Colwood Exchange to the last stop before Westhills which is Langford Parkway at Westhills Stadium. Google Maps keeps breaking so here's a quick job I did in paint http://imgur.com/a/BLidb

Edited by Cats4Hire, 22 August 2017 - 08:04 AM.

#5503 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Here we go, you can see the 2 new routes and the altered 25 and 39 https://bctransit.co...view-route-maps

#5504 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:47 AM

Westhills Exchange must be a new one. It'll likely be situated along Langford Parkway.

It's at the YMCA.

https://bctransit.co...s/1403648209184

• Mike K. likes this

#5505 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:04 PM

Why does the thing on the bus that calls out roads and such sometimes say landmarks but other times not? It even makes a special *bling* sound. For example I've heard "Hillside Shopping Center", "Camosun Campus"(for Interurban), and "VI Technology Park". While I haven't heard things like "Mayfair Shopping Center", "Uptown", "Camosun Campus" (for Lansdowne) or even the various exchanges (to be fair though I've only ridden the bus to Royal Oak, Colwood, Langford so if any of the others do it I would have missed them). I would think the exchanges would be much more useful than the Technology Park. How many people are getting off there that don't know where they're going? Compared to the exchanges where tourists might be switching (or people who just aren't very familiar with routes).

I thought it might be related to bus routes terminating at the areas it does shout out but that doesn't explain Uptown having the 16, Mayfair sometimes having the 8 or the various exchanges.

#5506 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:22 PM

It likes to tell you when you cross a municipal line.  That's for sure.  And that's hard to find on online maps.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5507 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

It's also annoying how it doesn't seem to know what HWY is so it just spells it out.

Oh and taking the 8 down North Dairy/Finlayson sometimes and hearing "ENTERING SAW-NICH ENTERING VICTORIA!" back and forth sometimes gets annoying too. I don't mind the thing calling out street names or landmarks I just wish it was consistent with landmarks, didn't jump around as much, and had betting pronunciation programming.

Edited by Cats4Hire, 25 August 2017 - 12:39 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#5508 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:39 PM

Well they aren't going to fix a system that is going to be replaced in what, a year?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#5509 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:27 PM

Well they aren't going to fix a system that is going to be replaced in what, a year?

It's being replaced? Is that to go along with the route tracking thing?

#5510 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:19 PM

Yep!
  • Cats4Hire likes this

#5511 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:01 PM

That's good. Hopefully the new one has better pronunciation (maybe get someone to actually read things like Saanich and not just try and combine sounds to get it) and is more consistent with landmarks.

• Nparker likes this

#5512 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

Are there any reader boards on the buses that show the next stop?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5513 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:24 PM

Are there any reader boards on the buses that show the next stop?

Most buses don't have screens. I've seen them on Double deckers but not anything else.

#5514 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

That's good. Hopefully the new one has better pronunciation (maybe get someone to actually read things like Saanich and not just try and combine sounds to get it) and is more consistent with landmarks.

A/the new one just needs the ability to enter a proper pronunciation for stops. It's a tiny software tweak on the one we have really.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5515 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

Drunk won't comment till tomorrow. Just want new post
  • Matt R. likes this

#5516 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

A BCT double decker caught fire tonight in Sidney. Check VV's Facebook for video.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5517 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:08 PM

A BCT double decker caught fire tonight in Sidney. Check VV's Facebook for video.

I thought there was no smoking on the bus.

#5518 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

I'm not sure how many people will be affected by this but it seems the UPass (at least through Camosun) was extended. Normally it ends the last day of the last month of the semester (in this case December 31) but when I renewed mine today the person told me it will expire January 12. I guess it's nice I won't need to pay to get to my first class now.

#5519 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hello everyone. Today on Markham I noticed the electronic sign now says Markham will be closed to all traffic August 19 and 20. I think this is due to paving and the fact no one has really been there this week I think that's all they really need to do. If that's the case they'll be done before Camosun goes back in which is good.

I don't think any buses go up Markham on the weekend so I guess nothing should be affected by this.

Don't know when this was finished, but construction/re-paving has been completed.

#5520 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 02 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

I noticed today when I drove past the Uvic exchange some not in service buses said "off" on the back screen. Is that a new thing? I've seen various things (including the sign just being off) but never the word "off".

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users