BC Transit (Victoria Regional Transit System) news and issues

• Please log in to reply
9626 replies to this topic

#5481 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

You're right that bus travelers would like a seat. You're wrong if you think that the majority care if there's a stroller or walker on board. So long as they get a seat, and even when they don't, if their fellow riders are being respectful - IE not clipping their toenails, causing fights, yelling loudly, etc, I don't think who is making use of the accessible seating area is of much concern to the general ridership.

I'm glad you've taken the false claim that you are a transit operator out of your signature. For the public to think that actual transit drivers believe for a minute that young families and those with mobility impairments don't belong on the bus would negatively impact the perception of transit drivers in the eyes of many. 

To suggest that the system's capacity issues are due to making the vehicles accessible and equitable to all, and not an issue of insufficient funding to keep with ridership and population growth is morally wrong and plain ignorant.

Welcome to VV!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5482 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'm glad you've taken the false claim that you are a transit operator out of your signature. For the public to think that actual transit drivers believe for a minute that young families and those with mobility impairments don't belong on the bus would negatively impact the perception of transit drivers in the eyes of many.

People lie about that?

#5483 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

Wait. What?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5484 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Ya! Handicapped people don't work, so please don't choose to travel when us working folks are trying to get to and from our office. You got all the other times of day to do your leisure trips.

Ya!   Wait. What?

#5485 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

I assume VHF was typing in sarcasm font.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#5486 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:22 PM

Sarcasm borders on the kind of comments that can get a post removed or eventually the entire thread, as one cannot "assume" to know what the persons intentions were when the comment was made.

#5487 CV92

CV92
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Welcome to VV!

Thank you! Looking forward to contributing here and other threads when I'm able :) 

People lie about that?

Unfortunately. Generally it's not a big issue as this particular individual does know a lot about transit in Victoria and can pass along knowledge. I have been watching this thread for a while since it was brought to my attention and the user in question does occasionally post inaccurate information.

I am employed in the Industry but speak for myself (not my employer) on this forum, and I felt like something finally needed to be said to clear the air, as his idea that those using mobility aids or strollers shouldn't ride the bus during peak times is discriminatory and definitely not how the actual transit operators in Victoria feel. It's something that, if it spread beyond this forum and was source misattributed by the public, has potential for negative fallout. It's not simply stating an incorrect spec on a vehicle, or an incorrect statistic. I realize that since I've just signed up here I don't have a lot of credibility myself, so I understand if those reading this are skeptical and I apologize if anyone feels that my reaction has been too severe.

• Mike K., tedward and Kungsberg like this

#5488 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

This is great, CV, we appreciate that.

• CV92 likes this

Know it all.

#5489 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:57 PM

Hello everyone. Something I noticed is if you click the preview of the upcoming schedule (I was using the 39 if it matters) there appear to be new routes. Going to the pages says "invalid route number" but here's what I could find.

17 and 19 return (are labeled as "New Route" though)

43 Royal Roads (via Belmont Park)

46 Dockyard/Westhills

76 Swartz Bay/Uvic

Edit: I also notice (as looking for any others changes) the 30 is using an old map for some reason (says the 33 leaves from James Bay Terminus and has it going up Saanich/Vernon/Ravine at Uptown instead of going to Carey/Douglas) while the 31's map is accurate

Edited by Cats4Hire, 21 August 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#5490 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

76 isn't new, just very very limited service. That's a great find, though!

#5491 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

Was it running at all in the past year? I don't remember it.

Also the 46 seems to be replacing part of the 25's route as that no longer seems to service the Dockyard or go past Admerals aside from 1 trip a day (both directions) which starts/terminates at Shoreline school.

#5492 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:43 PM

Yup I actually rode the 76 by accident a few months ago because I'm not very smart sometimes. About half way doe Quadra I had my moment of realization that a mistake had been made.

#5493 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

Yup I actually rode the 76 by accident a few months ago because I'm not very smart sometimes. About half way doe Quadra I had my moment of realization that a mistake had been made.

huh I don't remember ever seeing one. I thought they would stay on Pat Bay/Blanshard until either Ravine or Saanich and then just follow either the 16 or 26 to Mackenzie (depending on which road it took) but I'm at Uptown quite frequently on bus and don't recall ever seeing it on a sign so I'd assume that's wrong if it was running recently.

#5494 CriticalMass

CriticalMass
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

I believe the 76 used McKenzie/Quadra/Pat Bay Friday afternoons and the other way round Sunday evenings. But only when UVIC is in session.
  • VicHockeyFan, 57WestHills and Cats4Hire like this

#5495 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

I believe the 76 used McKenzie/Quadra/Pat Bay Friday afternoons and the other way round Sunday evenings. But only when UVIC is in session.

Right. For some reason I was getting confused and thought the highway didn't exit off at Mackenzie southbound. It only ran Friday/Saturday though? Do that many people need to go from Uvic to the ferries for the weekend that can't take pretty much any of the Uvic buses to the 70/72?

#5496 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:39 PM

76.jpg

#5497 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:01 AM

Hello again everyone. I'm guessing this is something few will care about (especially since it'll be easier to see in a couple weeks) but the 43 and 46 don't seem to be fully new routes but Transit is cutting the length of the 25 and 39 and using them. I was messing on Google Maps while eating breakfast today and noticed it has the data for the upcoming service switch so to test I asked for directions from Dockyard to Colwood Exchange and sure enough the 46 appeared. I tapped it to look at all the stops and it seems to follow the 25 when it did Dockyard to Colwood perfectly.

The 39 also no longer terminates at Royal Roads but instead at Colwood Exchange and very infrequently the 43 runs through Belmont Park to Royal Roads. Also it appears Colwood Exchange is changing its name to "West Hill Exchange" as can be seen here: https://bctransit.co...e=1403648205227

#5498 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

On that schedule I think Ocean Boulevard and Island Highway are where Colwood Exchange is. Westhills Exchange will be somewhere on the west side of Langford near the Westhills community. Weird that they named the intersection in the schedule and not the exchange.

Know it all.

#5499 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

On that schedule I think Ocean Boulevard and Island Highway are where Colwood Exchange is. Westhills Exchange will be somewhere on the west side of Langford near the Westhills community. Weird that they named the intersection in the schedule and not the exchange.

It seems it was always the case as the 50's current schedule says Island Highway at Ocean Boulevard. Is the Westhills Exchange new? It's not coming up on Google maps but Western Exchange brings me to Colwood Exchange so I thought that was the same thing and they were just renaming it.

#5500 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

In 2014 the Western Transit Exchange was renamed to Colwood Transit Exchange.

http://www.timescolo...rvice-1.1696927

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 August 2017 - 07:19 AM.

• Cats4Hire likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)